Who is using 2uz-fe heads?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
C

cowboy bebop

Hey guys,

Is anyone using the 2uz-fe heads in their 1uz? The port design seems superior to the early 1uz models, plus the factory COP system is a bonus. So is anyone running them?

Eric

Don't know if anyone is, but i think i agree with you that these heads make more power, besides the whole .7 liter advantage the engines are also in heavier trucks, after driving some 2uz's vs. 1uz's all without vvt-i. Something is going on, and i do think it is the newer desinged heads/intake manifold.

Just the port design between the early 1uz-fe and the 2uz-fe are very different. The 2uz seems much more boost friendly.

attachment.php

attachment.php

You can see that the 2uz ports are much more suppotive to boost than the early 1uz ports.

Eric

Unless we can somehow trick the Vvti on the 2UZFE heads then it should be a problem. However, 2UZFE heads and intakes are alot taller and the hood would not close. I think the 98+ 1UZFE and 3UZFE would fit under the hood of the older Lexus.

Here is a picture of 2uzfe in a Supra
attachment.php

I didn't think the VVt-I was on the 2uz-fe until 2005? I didn't notice any sort of cam phasing equipment on my 2001 heads.

Eric

I'll get some side by side shots of the 1uz v 2uz ports in the same pic this weekend. The difference is not as clear when they are seperate pics.

I do agree that the 2uz heads do have a better port design. I also agree with Eric, in that as far as I know, the 2uz's did get VVT-i until 05.

While on the subject of the 2uz heads, does anyone know what the combustion chamber volume is?

It's more complicated now that coil packs are introduced, and you have to use a 2uz harness, ECU (or standalone). But if HP is your goal, it's hard to beat those beautiful ports. : )

Eric

JDMfantasy said:
Lex, why too much trouble?

For the first generation LS400 and SC400 (1uzfe), the throttle body and other cables will be different position, Sensor plugs will be in different location and perhaps different style of plugs. Some new electronics from the 2uzfe heads might not work on 1uzfe computer. 2uzfe heads swap will not clear the hood because, you would also need 2uzfe intakes to mate with 2uzfe heads. 2uzfe intakes are much taller then 1uzfe intakes. 1uzfe and 2uzfe heads have different seat angle. There are many other factors.....

It is not just a simple bolt on..... Its very complex and for an average user.... its more then they can chew. I dont think the cost and the work justify the hp gain.

make a custom intake manifold. using all 1UZ plugs and sensors. its not complicated, it can be done.

Anaema,

Have you done it? Or anything similar?

I feel I am more than capable of doing some intereting fabrication but I would hesitate to take that job on.

When I installed my 1UZ it took 17 separate custom brackets and a custom bellhosing adaptor before it could be driven. I made all the brackets and adaptor etc myself so I figure I have the skills.

Read David's post again.

Machining and making it fit is the easy part. Getting it to run is the hard part. Think about the ECU, loom etc.

Zuffen said:
Anaema,

I feel I am more than capable of doing some intereting fabrication but I would hesitate to take that job on.

When I installed my 1UZ it took 17 separate custom brackets and a custom bellhosing adaptor before it could be driven. I made all the brackets and adaptor etc myself so I figure I have the skills.

Read David's post again.

Machining and making it fit is the easy part. Getting it to run is the hard part. Think about the ECU, loom etc.
That's the rub with the 2uz heads. However, if you use 2uz-fe heads, I would also suggest using the 2uz-fe ECU, harness, and whatnot to enable it to actually run. The intake manifold may be an issue, but we're working on a solution for that as I write this.

Its not easy as u guys think. 2UZFE have different combustion chamber. Have you guys open up a 1uz and 2uz heads and compare them side by side? Due to the change of combustion chamber, your 10.0:1 compression will drop a lot. I am not sure if this is what u want to do. Running a low compression engine for N/A application. There are times thing look easier then they are, but actually its very complex.

The stock 2UZ manifold is the size of the bathtub. Myself and another are building a much more compact manifold which should fit under most un-modified hoods.
Progress photos to come soon.

Lextreme said:
Its not easy as u guys think. 2UZFE have different combustion chamber. Have you guys open up a 1uz and 2uz heads and compare them side by side? Due to the change of combustion chamber, your 10.0:1 compression will drop a lot. I am not sure if this is what u want to do. Running a low compression engine for N/A application. There are times thing look easier then they are, but actually its very complex.
David, my friend, : ). Not to be contrary, but the head volume of the 1/2/3uz heads are as follows.

Here are the UZFE family cylinder head volume.
1uzfe 43.50 cc
2uzfe 40.00 cc
3uzfe 36.60 cc

As you can see the 2uz is less head volume that the 1uz, so compression would rise if you used 2uz heads. Plus there's an array of MLS heasd gaskets from .025" to .075" to help control the compression ratio.

Eric

FWIW, the 2UZ manifold is very tall, but the 1998+ 1UZ manifolds are much shorter and have dual path runners. It should fit under most hoods.

Does anyone know if the 1998+ 1UZ and 2UZ heads are pretty much the same? Perhaps the 2UZ head has a slightly larger diamter combustion chamber (but not necc larger volume)?

Zuffen said:
Anaema,

Read David's post again.

im just talking about making a monifold that will fit, not the ECU or any of that electronic equipment.