What airbox for Hilux/4Runner??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

twisty_toy94

Just wondering what airbox's people have used for converisons in a Hilux or 4Runner when using the standard AFM.

I bought a VL Commodore Airbox ($15) after seeing one in Scott's (venom) courier, since the AFM pretty much bolts up and it looked like it would fit in my 4runner. But I can't get this airbox to work with the room I have available.

So I'm just after some ideas of other airboxes that would suit?? It'd be excellent if I could get a really slim one that might work up on top of the wheel well so I could then run twin battery's too.

p.s. if anyone wants a cheap (see free) VL Airbox it's yours.

That'll be the last resort, it just adds to the list of another thing that will have to be fabricted before I'm up and running. I'd prefer to get a box that I can just buy and bolt in, if possible.

Hey there,

I'm facing the same question myself and figure that fabricating something is going to be the best option.
One thing to consider, what ever you choose, is the volume of your airbox too. You wouldn't wanna make it to compact then have your engine starve for airflow. Personally, i'm relocating my 2nd battery under the tray so i can make use of the area in front of the wheel arch (hilux) for the airbox.
I was considering a BMC Carbon Dynamics Airbox... (www.bmcairfilters.com/infoCDA.asp) but not sure whether they will flow enough... worth some extra research though...
Cheers,

Shuey

I`m thinking of just running a foam pod on mine, but when going to do deep water crossing I`ll have a cross over pipe I`d put in back to the standard airbox and snorkel.

Those of you in NSW will need the standard airbox to engineer your vehicles. It is all part of EPA.

After it's engineered it is anything goes.

Scott at venom told me to steer away from pod filters on these when running the std. ecu. He said the AFM doesn't like them???

One thought I had was to get a foam pod filter and then enclose it in a sealed box which is then attached to the snorkels?? But if the std. ecu doesn't like pod filters I won't bother with that idea??

Twisty

The problem with pod filters is that they create turbulence. If you mount it directly onto the AFM then it will read incorrectly.
If you want to use a pod then mount it further away from the AFM. I use one that is mounted inside a box under the front mudguard.

To get my 1UZ complied I used an airbox taken out of a 1990 model Toyota Camry. Once rego'd I changed it over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually that is what Scott told me, I wonder how far the pod filter will have to be away before it wont have an effect on the AFM??

And which pod filter would be a better type to run, less turbelance wise? a foam type, or a K&N style?

I am using a K&N. Its is about half a meter away from the AFM. Works fine on my setup.
I was just reading about the Carbon Dynamic Airbox. I am going to find out more about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cobra said:
The problem with pod filters is that they create turbulence.

never heard that one before.
i wouldnt worry about it.

whatever filter you do get but, if its an oiled type (K&N etc) then keep it a fair distance from the AFM. as they can interfere with the AFM.

Hey guys,
Just for the sake of this subject, i'm running a K&N pod filter bolted directly to my AFM and have had no problems with turbulence at all. I do however have a slight ping when the under bonnet temps get up to around 92 degrees (not suprising, huh???) thus the search for a cold air box or Carbon Dynamics Airbox...

I sent an email to the Austlian Rep for the BMC Carbon Dynamics Airbox, just to see what model they would recomend and how much.

I'll have to give them an A++ for customer service, first thing this morning I got a phone call from them. He was a top guy, went thought everything with me and sold the product really well. It has quite impressive figures.

Anyway he recomended the CDA85-150 model for my aplication, which is $643. A little expensive, but I think it would be almost worth the money.

I'm not going to use it on mine yet, think I'll have a crack at getting some kind of box made up which encases a pod filter.

hey guys, just use one out of a holden "camira." You just have to cut the intake pipe off and take out the inner box. to cover the cut out i used my old fan shroud and cut a section off that with a 90deg fold and siliconed it on. take all pf about 20 mins

hey guys, just use one out of a holden "camira." You just have to cut the intake pipe off and take out the inner box. to cover the cut out i used my old fan shroud and cut a section off that with a 90deg fold and siliconed it on. take all pf about 20 mins

Uhh. Pay attention to the dates of the threads. I would think that twisty probably found something that worked since his last post 4 years ago.

Attachments

• Bell housing installed_small.jpg
    Bell housing installed_small.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Driver side engine mount_small.jpg
    Driver side engine mount_small.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Passenger side engine mount_small.jpg
    Passenger side engine mount_small.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Under Engine bay showing clearinse_small.jpg
    Under Engine bay showing clearinse_small.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Engine bay size_small.jpg
    Engine bay size_small.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 1
  • frontal shot_small.jpg
    frontal shot_small.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 1
why ccant u fit the vl or vn air box

got a 92 hilux with a 1uz and the vn air box looks factory in there

u have to move the battery to the passenger side but thats an easy job

unless u have a 4wd and have alot of messy crap bolted to the inner guard like most 4wds i work on

u should get it to work moving battery is easy only have to redo 3 wires
unless u have alot of wires coming off the pos terminal

i have afew pics on my website of my ute ive even got enough room for the cruise control motor on the drivers side