Welding on a car

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

xirforever

Pardon for the ignorance, but i must ask because i just dont know. When i had my exhaust done on my car, the guy tacked the pipes together with it all connected to the car. So basically he welded on the metal while it was connect to the car, and some guy told me that its extremely unsafe to weld on a car because of the gas in the gas tank. Is this true? Could the current from the grond cause the gas to ignite? I was thinking about doing some welding... but then i thought twice because i just wasnt comfortable without being 100% sure i wouldnt die... lol.

Thanks

Ive always been told to disconnect the battery as the welding current may upset the alternator. But the gas exploding would be cause for concern. I thought the tank had to be removed if welding was to be done on the vehicle.

xirfoever, i always diconnect the battery if Mig welding and also disconnect the cars main ECU, many of the inputs to the ECU are not protected from a fright, from a back emf from a mig welder.
Regards
Lambo

The risk of a fuel tank expoding or igniting from welding is so small it doesn't matter.

It's perfectly safe to weld near the tank.

Obviuosly you would be smart to make sure there are no fuel leaks first.

Also I wouldn't consider welding any part of a fuel tank even when full of water.