Water pump gasket or not?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

live4soccer7

Need some opinions here. I am doing the water pump today and I was always under the impression that from the factory they used FIPG on the WP. There was a gasket when I pulled it off. I'm pretty sure it had been leaking because there was always a pool of coolant right below the crank since i have been working on the engine. I always just thought it was from me cleaning, but I haven't cleaned in a while and it was still leaking and I hadn't loosened the pump yet.

Anyways, there was a paper gasket and what seemed to also be a little permatex as well. I have a new OEM pump and it came with a metal gasket that has a pre-formed rubber seal on it.

The FSM says to use FIPG only, but the OEM pump is coming with a gasket.

I think you can see the confusion. I have looked around online to see what people have been doing and I've seen a little of both.

Once guy stated that the new pumps that come with the gasket have that gasket thickness accounted for and it should be used. Others say the dealers only use FIPG and when asked don't even know of a gasket for the water pump on the 1UZ.

My mating surface on the block is not too fantastic because the old paper gasket has baked itself in to the aluminum. What you see feels flat to touch (removed with a razor). I'm not sure how to clean it further without using some type of 3m/roto wheel on a dremel or small die grinder.

With the surface looking that way, I can't imagine it would make a good gasket sealing surface even though it feels as smooth as a baby butt!!

What are your guys' thoughts? I want to try and pick this up tomorrow and finish as I didn't get to tonight because of this conundrum.

Old pump:

E7CF6515-D597-414C-961C-79D0BCBC732D_zpsx2umlles.jpg

"Cleaned" surface that doesn't seem so great:

5DCEBC00-A47A-4398-BB8B-9E816D721625_zps7srdsugy.jpg

New WP with the metal gasket and pre-formed rubber seal:

7A1302FB-CFCC-49A0-9897-301862DE2543_zpstv1wpses.jpg

Genuine Early pumps have grooves in their surface for the extra sealant to escape into and do not require any other form of gasket.
Some early engine aftermarket pumps come with paper gaskets , I avoid them. These are like the one you removed and they don't have the grooves for the excess sealant to go into.

It looks a lot like a VVti genuine pump you have there. They have a steel shim gasket with rubber insert and are included with the pumps when you buy them. If Toyota include it with the kit then use it , if installed correctly it should work correctly for a long time.

Thanks for the input. I know it is hard to tell from the photo, but does my mating surface need more cleaning for this style gasket? It is smooth to the touch and a razor can not get anything else off. I would have to get a dremel/die grinder with a scothbright style pad on it in order to get it cleaner, but then I would essentially be removing a little aluminum.

When you say installed correctly, what else is there to installing the gasket other than having two predestine mating surfaces?

Last edited:
Your surface is looking good but I would be taking a little more of the staining off. I have a toothbrush sized wire brush that I use. Avoid taking off too much alloy as the surface needs to remain flat.

For you and me "correct" is pretty straight forward , clean, flat surfaces , the right parts and all of them refitted, sealant if required , bolts in good condition tensioned to the correct setting etc. I see plenty of people that can't get this stuff right , some of the best are head gaskets where half of the old gasket is still sitting on the top of the block.

Thanks. I was going to try some gasket remover on the staining, but have decided against it. I'll keep at with the razor blade and try a brass brush vs a steel one. I know the brass will scratch the surface though.

I torque everything to spec in the FSM. No sealant in this application since the gasket was included. I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't leak this way.

The motor is in prep for a swap in my 4runner (84), so it will be a little while before I know there is an issue or not.