vvti ls400 or non vvti

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ballo

Is there any disadvantage from using a vvti version when boosting the engine, running higher oil pressure if its needed, etc?
Can you buy aftermarket cams with vvti, or only with the non vvti models, even thought they are very expensive.?

what sort of valve train would you guys recommend for supercharged application, that could make 600+ rwhp and still rev like a rotor?

thanks for your time everyone

cheers
matt

I myself would love to know the answer to these questions...

thanks..

SOMEONE ???

ballo said:
Is there any disadvantage from using a vvti version when boosting the engine, running higher oil pressure if its needed, etc?
Can you buy aftermarket cams with vvti, or only with the non vvti models, even thought they are very expensive.?

what sort of valve train would you guys recommend for supercharged application, that could make 600+ rwhp and still rev like a rotor?

thanks for your time everyone

cheers
matt

No one produces "off the shelf" cams for our engine.

Kelfords in NZ expect to release custom cast cams in November which should fit your requirements.

There is nothing fancy about a VVTI cam. The trick bit is the engine adjusts the position of the cams relative to one and other.

If you know the grind you want they can be made.

A 1UZ-FE cam will NOT fit a VVTI head.

ive heard of kelford cams and have read a little bit about what there up to...dident know they would have some ready for sale soon though...cheers rod

the point i was trying to find out is: is there any point what so ever in sourcing a vvti 1uzfe? is it worth the extra $$ OR would it be better to get the 1uzfe non vvti and simply change the cams for a supercharged application?

thanx again rod and everyone else who can share a bit of their knowledge!

matt

By sticking with the non VVTi engine you are treading a well known path.

We all know how to make the non-VVTi work from an electronics point and also know what to do to get the most out of them.

Whilst that is the easy option it would be cool to be the guy that made the VVTi engine really work.

I have no idea what makes the VVTi engine move the cams (I know how it does it but not what initiates the move) hence have no idea of any additional ECU problems. Can an AEM control VVTi? No idea!

Give it a go at least you know you will have more poke of the line.

thanx lambo for that info

well as far as i have read the vvti system works sloely off engine oil pressure with no imput from the ecu what so ever.

does anyone know if vvti cast cams can be custom made...by kelford etc?

cheers
matt

My understanding is the VVTi uses a different "blank" to the non-VVTi due to the location of the drive gears.

Kelfords are still a way from producing the non-VVTi cams so I think the chances of getting what you want is slim.

You may have to weld and grind your cams to get what you want.

ballo said:
well as far as i have read the vvti system works sloely off engine oil pressure with no imput from the ecu what so ever.
I very much doubt it would be soley off oil pressure. As oil is different viscositys from hot to cold.
There is not much pressure difference between different rev ranges.

It does work off oil pressure but I bet it has a electrical switch to tell it what revs to switch from base grind to the upper grind of the cams.

It uses two solenoids mounted in the VVT system at the end of the cam shaft. They are controlled by the ECU which then monitors the cam angle using magnetic reluctance sensors - the same sort of sensor as the crank trigger sensor.

arr ok....righteo solenoids....this is starting to sound better so thats where the ecu comes into play.

i was thinking about solenoids, just couldnt find any info to support what i was thinking.

thanx everyone for chipping in with all the info

muchly appreciated

cheers
matt

ballo said:
thanx lambo for that info

does anyone know if vvti cast cams can be custom made...by kelford etc?

cheers
matt
What you are thinking of is toyota vvt-L-i. Its similar to Hondas vtech. VVTL-i uses oil pressure to push a rocker arm in place which open up more valves in each cylinder. Like the one in the celica gt-s. Only reason why no vvt-i cmas were made is that Toyota refuses to release the ecu codes which operate the cams.