VVti Goodness

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

gloverman

Look at whats turned up at the workshop. I have new plans for my Surf.

Attachments

• 3UZ. 007.jpg
    3UZ. 007.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 3UZ. 008.jpg
    3UZ. 008.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 3UZ. 004.jpg
    3UZ. 004.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 99
Looks great Kelvin; what are your plans for it?

Are you going into the motor or leaving it as is?

Engine management?

Theres actually two motors there. My 3uz which is replacing my turbo series 1 1uz in my surf. Going back to n/a and looking for a buyer for the turbo kit (someone is interested and they have first pick) There is also a 1uz VVti which is my "parts" motor(this one has the TB on the sitting on top) It came for the accessories. Checked it over and it has a brand new cambelt / waterpump etc on it. Sumps are different 1uz has front, 3uz has rearward type. My Surf was running a Silver series link Xtreme which has the drive by wire module built in unlike the later Xtreme so using the DBW. Thinking of using the 1uz Throttle body which is still DBW but has a cable running to it, as a failsafe as the vehicle does go offroad. Still going to be manual with A/c. Gone this way as much of my business comes from 1uz and working on more and more VVti engines so it makes sense from a business point of veiw. Motor is going to be internally stock for a while. Got the package for a good price.

We have already done a few VVti's. Security in the ECU is a pain on the stock management. The 1uz go well so will be interesting to see how the 3uz compares. There are lots of differences between the two.

We have already done a few VVti's. Security in the ECU is a pain on the stock management. The 1uz go well so will be interesting to see how the 3uz compares. There are lots of differences between the two.

If a whole car was purchased for me to strip, I guess the security won't be a problem as everything will be there?

Yes if you get a whole car or front cut it would be best. We see it lots here in nz and I have a stack of Security ECUs on my desk as the inporters are bringing motor/box/ecu and loom and no security stuff. I will sort out another solution if I get some time. Cheers

Im being realistic and would like to lay down 200rwkw. On my dyno a stock 1uz with stock ECU will run between 135-155rwkw. Best 4x4 has been a UCF20 motor in a surf at 150rwkw. Best 2wd has been 155rwkw on stock ECU. Aftermarket ECU have been 150-175rwkw. Best 4x4 has been a UCF20 motor at 160rwkw and best 2wd has been 175rwkw. Fastest 2wd had 165rwkw and lots more torque than the 175rwkw engine. Both of the 2wd where series 1 motors. I think 200rwkw would be acceptable from the 3uz. What I want is torque. Remember my surf in Normal drive mode was 250rwkw with about 1000nm or torque on 10psi. No turbo this time.

PS - Chris did you get my last email? Cheers

Powersteer pump differences

Over the last week I have sold the 1uz VVti all wired with a link and kit to fit into a hilux so have been busy wiring it as a plug and play loom with stock ecu first then onto the link setup. Cranked up oil pressure and did a compression test before starting into the job. Doubled up on the stock setup as had another truck booked in and dropped off for a VVti wiring job.

Had a bit of a break today from wiring to look at the powersteer pumps. I had a spare 20 series VVti pump which I ended up giving to the guy who brought my motor in for me so sourced another from a customer who wasn't using his. Now I have a photo of the Series 1/2 pump with the 20 series VVti pump. The rear housing has different mounting hole positions. Apart from that the early and later pumps are very similar. My motor is a 30 series which has a different part number for alt / starter / and ps pump according to toyodiy.com. The Alternator is physically the same but 130amps. Ill be fitting a brand new 110 amp unit so no problems there. The 20 series VVti powersteer pump fits the 30 series by removing the short stud and fitting a longer stud to the predrilled hole above. see the photos. The reservior off the series 1/2 motors bolts onto the pump but then fouls on the larger cam pully cover , even after removing a bracket point from the side of the cover. Early a/c pump seems to fit fine which is good as my Surf already has an early a/c pump fitted. I have a feeling the pipes are going to foul on the exhaust manifold. Just some of the joys of getting something newer than we normally work on. Customers vehicles are more important then my own but having a few minutes of rest working on my motor wont hurt will it?

Attachments

• work aug 2011 094.jpg
    work aug 2011 094.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 36
  • work aug 2011 093.jpg
    work aug 2011 093.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 27
  • work aug 2011 092.jpg
    work aug 2011 092.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 28
  • VVti uz powersteer pump 012.jpg
    VVti uz powersteer pump 012.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 29
  • VVti uz powersteer pump 004.jpg
    VVti uz powersteer pump 004.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 20
  • VVti uz powersteer pump 005.jpg
    VVti uz powersteer pump 005.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 22
  • VVti uz powersteer pump 006.jpg
    VVti uz powersteer pump 006.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 24
Wiring the 4 litre stock

Over the last little while when Ive had a chance I have wired up the 4 litre VVti on the stock ECU on the engine stand. Its accutally being sent away for a customer as a plug and play setup. I also drew up and improved my diagrams which took a while. Solved a couple of issues. Didnt connect the fuel pump straight away but have a photo of my VVti fuel setup in a bucket. Put some engine start into the throttle body and hit the start and she fired straight up. When I had the fuel attached it wouldnt keep going just like the older motors with a IGF problem and I found I not connected all the coils when I had the loom off. Pluged three coils back in and still wouldnt hold so rechecked and pluged one more in. Now it sits on the stand and idles ok considering the AFM is taped to the TB. Im feeling more confinent about the Drive by wire of the 3UZ and might just have to use a full electronic pedal instead of swapping to the 4 litre UZS20 drive by wire TB with a cable. I tried to get a video but failed so will try again. Motor is also getting wired with a link xtreme for another customer.

Attachments

• VVti uz powersteer pump and stuff 031.jpg
    VVti uz powersteer pump and stuff 031.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 31
  • VVti uz powersteer pump and stuff 030.jpg
    VVti uz powersteer pump and stuff 030.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 23
  • VVti uz powersteer pump and stuff 020.jpg
    VVti uz powersteer pump and stuff 020.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 25
  • VVti uz powersteer pump and stuff 024.jpg
    VVti uz powersteer pump and stuff 024.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 21
  • VVti uz powersteer pump and stuff 037.jpg
    VVti uz powersteer pump and stuff 037.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 18
I stuffed round for a day and managed to program a key from one
Landcruizer that was wrecked into another
So hopefully one day I get a chance to do the same to a vvti
1uz
Have u got any 1uz vvti security ecus and immob stuff to suit
Or key readers to suit
If not do u know where I can source them
I don't need the key

Jim I just wired this same motor today using a Security ECU with key reader and chip. Also worked on getting rid of the transmission codes which I have now been successful with. Just leaving work now. Have the hydraulic fan codes to go on the Celsior ECU and the fuel pump circuit code on both the Crown and Celsior ecu. When I plug in the wrong Security ECU I get - Unmatched Key code. I dont like this one. Now you need to fly over here and sort the Key stuff out so we can run the security ECUs when they dont come with the key reader and amp. Ill put up more info and photos soon. Cheers

at the moment u still need key reader and immob ecu but im hoping i can program
an unmatched set

ill try chase up a key reader and immob ecu from any late model lexus and ill buy a new key from my supplier and then chase up a vvti ecu
hopefully sss have one lying around then ill just power it up and see what i find

hey kelvin u got an exact model for yr vvti motors
or even better a vin number
ill start chasing up some parts and get a rough idea on price and what i can use

The part number on the Security Amp I had is only listed for 1998 to early 2000 LS400 and celsior. Im thinking a Camry one should be close enough. Started with about 12 codes at lunch time and nearly have them all nailed. I have been comparing the Security ecu to the non Security and there are a few different componants in there. Thats why I had 5 ECUs spread out on my kitchen table last night.

I scoped the signal from the Amp to the ECU and I found I need a much better scope. Took me three guesses to get the security wires correct using about 20 different pieces of paper all with different colours from the ones I had and the body plug was from a different vehicle. It was nice to see the immobilizer light dissapear when I powered up the system.

Im off to the dismantlers this week to have another plug raid for the next hilux which is in the shop with a VVti. I have premade the relays and fuses while doing this loom setup. Ill be making a unit for keeping the fault codes for the trans and secondary oxygen sensors away. It will be guess and check on the hydraulic fan codes as I dont have any diagrams with them on. I want to get this pretty sorted as I will be taking this loom apart for a link loom on the same motor so wont have test engine as my 3UZ has a completely different loom. Do have another truck with 6 speed 4x4 auto conversion due in a few weeks.

Good day really and not a single interruption. Cheers

Attachments

• 1uz vvti security and code wiring 001.jpg
    1uz vvti security and code wiring 001.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 46
  • 1uz vvti security and code wiring 022.jpg
    1uz vvti security and code wiring 022.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 1uz vvti security and code wiring 023.jpg
    1uz vvti security and code wiring 023.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1uz vvti security and code wiring 021.jpg