V8 Hi-Lux

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I was reading 1 writeup today that was usinf the A340F out of a surf controlled by the 1uz ecu. Dont know for sure if it has worked or not but it involved swapping bell housing, torque converter, input shaft and oil pump from the 1uz's A340E. There was also some discussion about an extra speed sesor but not sure if it was needed
Check it out
http://lextreme.com////forums/showthread.php?t=2653

Comments ??

Quick update by the way.

We ended up modifying the 2wd UZ auto to fit my TCase.

How was this done? I'm getting a wrecked 1994 SC400 and I was going to get a custom Bell to mate to my R150. If it'd be easier/cheap to mod. the stock 1UZ auto to use a transfer case I think I'd go that route. Also I'm going to be going to a gear driven transfer case with lower low range gearing (4.7). There is a company here in the US that is making Toyota auto adapters to mate a gear driven t case to a auto, they also make them to mate the gear driven t case to the R150. www.marlincrawler.com and Inchworm gear

I should be picking up the SC400 next week.

I got mine done at Venom Cobras.

If you want to do it yourself, the following should help.

You need to pull UZ box apart and swap output shaft, transfer and 4wd sump (extra cap).

<< From Lextreme post :http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2653 >> This build up has alot of information on the transmission mods. In particular, he posts pics of what he ends up doing on page 4.
Let me know if you need more and I can help find it.

I got around to fitting my surf transfer case to my A341E transmission.
I started by making a drill/tapping jig to drill and tap the hole into the case. A piece of square bar with 3 holes in it. The end holes are 220MM centres 10mm diameter to fit the screws. The hole in the centre is drilled 8.5mm and tapped out to 10MM coarse thread. The bar is then held on to the case with the 10MM screws which came with the adapter. A hand drill may now be used to drill the hole and the tap run through the tapped hole. Doing it this way you know it will be in the correct position and square. Note that the screws which hold the adapter to the transmission are 10MM coarse thread and the screws which hold the adapter to the transfer case are 10MM fine thead
http://home.iprimus.com.au/montyl/drilling case.jpg
http://home.iprimus.com.au/montyl/tapping case.jpg

cant see your pics, great post though, helped my mate do this swap but we didnt do the speed sensor hence it wont change gears in lo range, only got vss from cluster, need to do this sometime but, when you cut the shaft did you drill an put the little restrictor in the end of the shaft? we did so it was as orig

Attachments

• Northstar.jpg
    Northstar.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 27
something wrong with my uploads so I added links. There is a small hole near the end of the shaft , beneath the rotor, which appeared to be an oil supply for the bearing in the original extension housing so I left it so it could hopefully direct oil to the bearing in the adapter.

madmont you mention bolting up the adapter and transfer case - so are you using more than just the a340 and a341e?

parts are?

1. A340H/F
2. A341E
3. an adapter?

Also how many solenoids did you end up connecting? was there 3 on the A340? and 4 on the 341? cheers

I used an A341E from a V8 and bolted up the Surf parts to it. All I did was replace the Surf auto [A340E] with the V8 auto [A341E].

Attachments

• Brunner,v8 021.jpg
    Brunner,v8 021.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Brunner,v8 022.jpg
    Brunner,v8 022.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Brunner,v8 023.jpg
    Brunner,v8 023.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Brunner,v8 024.jpg
    Brunner,v8 024.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 24
I am looking to swap my landcruiser FJ40 transfer and want to do what you did - steer away from swapping splines, stuff that!

What year is your surf or what should I be looking for in the papers (and ebay) to ensure I get the same transfer as you? thank heaps this is a great help.

If I move the engine and gearbox as forward as I can (as cruisers have enough space to fit a cow in the engine bay) I was hoping I could overcome the length issue and sit the transfer in around the same place. That will probably cause a bunch of other issues need to get some rough measurements I think.

Any chance of getting a rough estimate on long it is from say front of engine block to end of transfer (just ballpark) madmont? Tell me if i'm pushing the friendship too far :flowers1:

I havent decided how I am to overcome the driveshaft issue but I thought they were pretty flexible as far as the angles they are on, as long as they are not dead straight?!? I need to get back under her again tonight to check. Thats a good point though about the center rear though.

Jeez getting tough I tells ya, but dont want to give up just yet :happysad:

I still think your method has tons of credit over the whole bellhousing/center shaft swap way.

Madmont,
I would like to see you do a proper build thread covering all the processes you have above. I recently did the same conversion in my Hilux and found your photos and info invaluable and spot on, so thanks, but it is hard to search for this info and newbies will benefit greatly if you document it as a build up. People think they have to swap output shafts and therefore need a Surf transmission (more cost), but of course, don't.