Using Trimatic auto with the 1uz?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

poid

Hey fellas, i'm currently looking into a TT 1uzfe conversion to go into a HX Kingswood. The car has a trimatic as standard, so i'm wondering if anyone has ever mated one to the 1uz?

I was considering using the 6 spd supra box, but after a mate just lunched one in his supra i'm thinking it might not be the best option. Rebuilding the trimatic means i dont have to buy the box, and i should be able to have it built to handle whatever i throw at it and be certain of it.

Cheers :)

Poid,

Given the cost of the A340 and the cost to build it tough I'd think it cheaper to do that than fiddle around with a tragicmatic.

Think of the problems. You need to modify the bellhousing to adapt it to the 1UZ then you need to make a flexplate to bolt to the crank, with right ring-gear so it bolts to the torque converter.

If you buy the trans with the engine you don't have any of that and it'll cost a few hundred more and have 4 gears not 3. Plus it's al ot smoother and probably lots stronger than the Generals old cheappie.

Retaining the Trimatic saves you modifying the tail shaft and (perhaps) the rear crossmember.

I agree you need to fit a different shifter to the Holden item.

yeh thats the other option i am considering at the moment, and have to look into it in a bit more detail.

The tailshaft isnt a major consideration i dont think, as even if it has to be modified this wont cost a great deal. It most likely will have to be modified in any case as the stock diff will have to be changed. You make a good point about the bellhousing and flexplate...perhaps its too much trouble for the sake of using the gearbox thats in there.

My main reason for thinking about it was because i have been looking to buy the engine only without the box, and i like trying things that are a bit different. But the A340 will probably cost less than the bellhousing and other modifications.

I'd expect to pick up an A340, flexplate and oter associated bits for around $250/300.00

Talk to MV Automatics in Adelaide they really know their way through the A340/1 trans.

i think the powerglide is a lot more expensive than the built A340 option though isnt it? Again worthy of a look to find out a little more...i've not been looking at the gearbox side of things all that long.

I'm open to any suggestions ;)

I have spoken to Micheal from MV Automatic's(ph 08 83700430) about getting a A340 rebiult. At the time (August 04) he quoted $2600, that is for a fully rebiult box, included is a modified valvebody to firm up the shift's & a higher stall converter(2500rpm i think?), he also increase's oil flow to the converter bush as apparently the flow isn't enough standard. This cause's the bush to spin at high RPM, This is exactly what i did to my first gearbox(only got 3 burnout's at 7000rpm in top gear before the bush spun causing the front seal to leak), has anybody else out there had the same problem?
The only thing he said that concerned me was (if i understood him correctly)how much horse power the box will handle, he said 300rwkw(390rwhp) safe, but not on strip with slick's. One thing we didn't discuss was how much vehicle weight will help or hinder in this department.Obviously lighter means less strain to get the car moving & heavier the opposite.
It's certainly is an advantage with the A340 to have an overdrive, but i have also been considering using a trimatic, as they can be built to handle much more power than 400rwhp.The trimatic is also a much lighter gearbox,lighter mean's quicker,also probably take's less hp to drive,also mean's quicker.The powerglide take's thing's another step further in strength, just really hard to think about going back to 2 gear's with the 1uz's lack off torque.
Micheal's number at MV Automatic's is 08 83700430.

mmm see that power level puts me off as well, since i plan to have 600-700rwhp. And not being safe to use with slicks kinda defeats a lot of the purpose.

The vehicle wouldnt exactly be light, so that factor isnt gonna be in my favour either.

Regardless of cost, the box will ultimately have to be able to hold the power semi-reliably. The car wont be a daily driver but at the same time i dont want it off the road constantly for gearbox repairs!

Lucky i start looking into these things early and have plenty of time to play with i reckon!

Poid,

If you want a truely bullet proof trans you couldn't go past a TorqueFlyte from Chrysler.

These things were built to live behind Hemi Wedges and other ugly old torque producing monsters!

I've always turned away from them as they are old tech 3 speed boxes. But if you get down to it the A340 is only a 3 speed box with a part time 4th speed.

If you're putting out 500hp+ it must be the most reliable box you could put in.

Whilst I'm working on using the A340 I keep looking at the Chrysler nail and thinking why not they're chaep and bulletproof plus I can get get an adaptor to mount it to my transfer case so all I need to do is adapt it to the engine, which isn't that hard.

options

gday folks i dont reply to much as i work long hours(as we all do) i have driven a 1jz in a cressida making 360 to380hp at the tyres with a mv auto behind it and it shifted sweet & firm it is a very nice box & can highly recomend anyone going down that road if using a factory ecu. BUT?????? what do we have if we want to run a aftermarket ecu i.e autronic,motec,haltech,microtech & so on i like the idea of a trimatic behind one of these cause they have good gear ratios to move a heaver car off the mark on lower hp & the potenial to be a tough box if need be. There are plenty of turbo vl commodores running 10s & 9s & 8s now wel & truly making in excess of 600hp at the tyres . Glides ARE GOOD BUT as most of us know, you dont just need good hp to make it work its torque as well , now with most guys turbocharging & supercharging we need to make sure that bellhousings are strong enough. IM CURRENTLY speaking to an engieering firm about making some diferent bellhousings to suit glides,trimatics & c4s we havent discused cost yet!! so if anyone i interested going down this road please be patient i will get back to u . p.s. I GOT TO STOP DRINKING SO MUCH COFFEE.

I am using one.

The A340 is still limited in the horse power it can handle at this stage.
It may get built stronger in the future, how many people out there remember when nobody would touch a traumatic, now look at them!

Fugly,

I remember it only too well, that's why I called it the Tragicmatic.

It was the worst trans ever but my how it matured.

Have a look on the net at what you can do with a Torqueflite and what it costs.

They start strong and for under $1,000 Aussie you could have it handling 700-800HP.