Upgrade Fuel Rails

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hi Rod,

I would say there is no way this costs more than the Northstar application I just did. The Northstar needed to have some complex angles machined into the mounting brackets to get everything to line up properly. This added cost, but I am still able to sell them at $450 US retail. Thus, with the mounting looking simplier for this application, I imagine things would actually cost a bit less (~$50). But, I have to really see a manifold up close to be certain. So, I would say $450 US max, $400 US likely.

Oh, BTW, I usually charge about $35 for shipping to AU via USPS Express Mail as this has worked quite well for me in the past.

Hope that helps?
Garrett

Garrett,

Thanks for the quick reply.

My engine is a little bit different in that it is very tight for room around the fuel rails.

The rails are hard up against my manifold.

My manifold is the port section of the 1UZ joined to the valley from a Ford Lightning inlet. The rails are hard up against the mount for the intercooler. I could have made the intercooler sit higher but the I'd be hard pressed to see over the supercharger.

My manifold should be finished in around 2-3 weeks.

Could you let me know the minimum dimension from the middle of the injector to the inside edge of the fuel rail?

Thanks

I can supply what ever u need. I would say, only two or three max in USA and alot more from Australia. However, who knows what the future will hold.

I am also interested, if pricing is there...Looks like quality is a part of your work, so let me know. What would be the recommended range of HP?

Ryan

These rail's will be able to support up to 160 lb/hr (~1700 cc/min) injectors...providing you can supply enough fuel / have a large enough pump. Thus, I would say from a horse power perspective, the sky is the limit really. I would say 2000 hp on a large V8 of this magnitude is possible with these rails and a huge Aeromotive pump.

As far as quality goes, I won't sell something that I wouldn't be proud to run in my own car. That is my mantra.

Anyhow, let me know if you have more questions!

Cheers,
Garrett

Garrett,

Some photos of my fuel rail clearance.

As you can see the rails on both sides are hard against the (part build) manifold. I can maybe move another millemetre toward the manifold with a bit more machining. Essentially I need rails that are no bigger (externally) than the stock rails as I'v already ground of some projections I can live without.

Once the whole thing is welded together (the runners are still not attached to the valley) I can then use a mates mill and tidy it up a little. Whilst sometimes it may not look pretty it's how fast it goes that counts.

The first two shots are the left hand side (your drivers side) and the next 2 the other side.

The last shot shows that I've got the rails standing upright to the point the fuel rail will bolt on.

All in all a very tight fot.

Rod,
I have some of that Toyota Factory rail material here on my desk. The width of the Toyota rail I have here is .800" ~ at it max. The material I use for my Top Feed rails is ~.880 " ... so I dunno if this is going to fit better or worse. However, measure your rail and tell me what you think its width is to be sure it is the same as the one I have here. I can maybe build you custom feet that will move the rail out a bit more. The injectors can take a bit of an angle and still seal well...

Cheers,
Garrett

Garrett,

I ran the calipers over my rails and their .81" (near enough to your .8") at their widest point but only .71" at their narrowest. The wide point doesn't cause me any trouble it clears the manifold.

1/10th of an inch is 2.5mm (for us Metric Aussies) I can't see I can gain 1.25mm out of the manifold. I've already pushed the grinding to the limit.

I'm also hesitant to roll the rails away from the manifold as I think Mr Toyota plannned the spray pattern to land in a very specific area of the inlet port. If I roll the rail it may end up firing toward the port wall rather than the valve.

I'll have a chat to the local hydraulics man and see what he can do with the standard rails.

One addition I have put in the rail that isn't too obvious is the schrader valve where the pulse dampener used to be. This will allow the simple hook up of a fuel pressure gauge to check what's happening.

I would expect it's a standard Ford spare part. It screws straigh into our rail.

Garrett and I will be getting together next week. He will have the complete upper and lower intake to make us a precise high flow fuel rail. This is almost custom made for the 1uz and other uz families.

Rod,
I am not sure I can make something that will fit your application and still keep the stock injector angle. Email me however and I can make some suggestions on how to improve your current setup.

Email: [email protected]

Cheers,
Garrett

Garrett,

I thought I'd seen the fuel rails in your photo before.

They're the rails on the Northstar MR2 project.

I check this Site every week or so.

The project is awsome. For anyone interested visit http://www.v8mr2.com/index.asp for an interesting read.

It wasn't until I logged in tonight that I had a closer look and you get a mention on it for making them.

Yeah,
I helped out bill with his fuel system. I hope that he someday manages to work everything out with his car. It has turned into a huge project.

Take it easy,
Garrett

Fuel rails

Hi Zuffen , I went to the National car show over the weekend, snapped these this is the 1uzfe in the Altezza mentioned on this site the other day, produces 550hp n/a with itb and cams etc, maybe this will help judge the size of the rails etc, i'm trying to catch up with Boothie the owner, to get some more detail, ill let you know, when it revved up you could see the airbox pull in with the vacumn, sounded nice too.
Regards
Lambo

Interesting he has the fuel rails on the opposite side of the engine to standard. That is the left is on the right and right on the left side.

I looked at swapping mine over but the injector is not square in the rail so it forced the injector to lean out at the top.

I want to keep the standard angle between the injector and the inlet manifold as I assume Toyota aimed it there for a reason.

I met with Lextreme last night and picked up a manifold and stock rails. I should have a prototype up and going in a few weeks!

Cheers,
Garrett

When Garrett came by last night, we went for a short ride at the same time testing my new 1 bar spring. Still need some more tuning, but it runs alot better then before. I really like the car pulls when under boost.

Garrett seems to be a nice honest person and very knowledgeble too. I highly recommend this engineer.

Yeah,
I was impressed with how smooth David's car is. I was really interesting for me to ride in a car of this size with that kind of power. Reminded me of my old Taurus SHO I owned 15 years ago...just faster!

Cheers,
G

Here are some photos of the upgraded injector mounts and the rifle drilled fuel rail.

I drilled the injector mount/hole in the fule rail to 13.7mm to take domestic injectors. I did it in two steps. Ist pass was to 12mm the second to 13.7. I actually sed a 17/64 bit as I couldn't get 13.7 but this is 13.45 so I can ream the drilling to a polished finish.

The rails are usually 9mm internal diameter and I did two passes. Again ist pass to 12mm 2nd to 13.45.

The result is I end up with a resevoir of fuel that is 232.5% larger than stock. This also means the rails can flow 230% more fuel. I left a small section between the inner injectors at 9mm as it allows communication between the front and rear of each rail. When they are finished the fuel will enter each end of each rail (which means all injectors shoud get equal amounts of fuel) and return to the tank from a fitting in the middle of each rail. The two rails will be connected with the standard crosss pipes.

To drill them I ground off the brass plug in the end of each rail and knocked out the small allow plug under it. This allowed me to drill through the brass plug (it completely drilled away) and along the rail.

I'll use weld on 1/2" plugs to mount the fuel lines.

Some may note the rails don't have mounting lugs.

I don't have room for them and new ones will be added as this project progresses.