Project Thread Twin Turbo 1UZFE into HQ Coupe

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Hillbilly

Hi guys been thinking about this conversion for some time now and finally decided to get started.
Not one for typing tho so will keep it short and let the pics do the talking.
Car is a 1971 HQ GTS Coupe was running a 355 Injected V8 with supra W series 5 speed, which blew second gear so i thought that was a good enough reason to start my conversion.
I purchased a 1uzfe from Ichiban *** parts in sydney for $1250 landed at my front door in Perth.
Then got a recondition R154 with fly wheel and CRS bell housing of Ebay for $2500.
Next went out and bought 2 new Garret gt28r turbo,s.
I have made a sump to suit the HQ myself and fabricated the exhaust manifolds to suit the turbo's.
I lent a stuffed v8 from a mate and wrecked hq i had to dummy fit the sump and make the exhaust.
Next job is to get the exhaust ceramic coated and then fit the motor in the car. Should happen this week i hope but i have to put a RB 20 into my son's HQ first.

G'Day Hillbilly,

Could you tell me what sort of power you are after. I am doing a similar conversion on my VK Commodore (2x GT28R's, big front mount, Autronic SM2 and CDI, 550cc Siemens injectors, R154 box, 9 inch and a few other mods)
I am chasing 400RWHP on 10 psi boost. Can you or anyone else tell me if this is a realistic figure. I am running stock internals and stock comp ratio. The car is finished except for the wiring and the exhaust manifold to be heat coated (Don't know when) My car has been off the road for the past three years doing this conversion and I am getting itchy feet to get it finished.
The HQ looks great. I imagine you have plenty of room in the engine bay for turbo's etc.
Regards Ian.

I have been told I should realistically be able to get 400 to 450 RWHP from the setup, but will have to wait and see.
Plenty of room under the hood as i dont have front struts like the commodore.
I'm going to stick with the Kalmaker (808 Delco) as there is a guy here in perth who i think is a real wizz with these......

i was the original sponsor deal for Alan re: the kalmaker.

he ended up just putting a ford crab cap on one of the dizzys to make it run because we couldn't split the signal for the twin dizzies without using Richard"s "black box of tricks" which some people are having trouble with also - though the problems seem to be coming from the users rather than the manufacturers. pm V8Supra for details.

i said for Alam to forget it for my car and he now has the setup up and running in his "finny" merc.

it looks bloody awful too, very agricultural - not something i would grace the underbonnet of an HQ munro with.

good to see another Perth-ite on here.

welcome.

Sweet looking car there hillbilly, sounds like a cool project. Iam pretty sure i have seen your car around perth too, there wouldnt be all that many the same either.

Also, Alan is changing over to richards black box of tricks now too.

Yeah I have to catch up with allan and see what he is doing with his setup.

So has anyone besides V8Supra got the delco working with the 1uz yet as I will be at the wiring stage in about 2 weeks or less.

Another thing i was thinking of doing is swapping the standard throttle body with a modified 70mm commodore one thoughts ?

A different throttle body is not needed, you can use the lexus throttle body and sensors. The throttle position sensor works with the delco and so does the idle control on the front of the intake plenum. The factory lexus stepper motor for idle control uses 6 wires, ommit the two +12v wires going to it and it wires straight to the delco - the delco uses a bi-polar stepper motor and the lexus is a uni-polar stepper.

same same

looks like youve had the same idea as me. im putting the 1uz-fe motor into a hq tonner getting sick of the push rod motors anyhow. have you figured out how u are going to mount the engine into the car like welding engine mounts and so forth. i found out resently that the rod shop makes engine mounts for the lexus motor to the H and wb series holdens but not sure if they bolt into place of the origonal mounts or weather they need to be welded in. also how are you going to go about power steering are you going to use the holden steering box with the lexus pump i havent really looked into it yet. these are the only roblems i can see with the conversion so far, i get my engine next week there dime a dozen up in QLD and i still cant believe how cheap they are. apparently the imorters get them for like 50 bucks in japan and make a fair amount of profit of them when they sell them over here. still its a dan sight cheaper then the holden 5ltr there still fetching over 3 grand for a decent one. cheers

Been a while since last update so here goes. Installed the motor last weekend along with the gearbox. Had a few minor drama's but all sorted now.Had to modify my gearbox crossmember to accomidate the standard toyota rear mount, thanks to mycarhaspossedme for posting the pics of his as it made my job easy.
Intercooler should be here next week so will get into that when it arrives, car will be taken to exhaust centre next week for a twin 3 inch system so should sound sweet. That will really only leave the wiring to do, i'm hoping that will go pretty smoothly as i'm sticking with the Delco and useing one of Richard's boxes.

I see you've relocated the alternator and deleted the idler.

Let us know how it works out.

Do you have any drawings of the alternator bracket others could copy?

Sorry Zuffen didnt do any drawings of that, but all i did was butcher an old power steering bracket for it .
Clamped a big piece of mdf to the front balancer pulley and used that to alingn the alternator pulley from.
Motor is almost ready to start just some minor hoses air filters and battery to do then its time to fire her up.
This weekend hopefully ..............fingers crossed :)

hay man thats awsom!!!!!
i am in the process of puting a quad in my vs commo i havent started yet i just got my hands on 2 1uzs 1 in a half cut the other on its own. let us no how ur turbo setup works it looks gr8.

Sure is a nice torque curve. Imagine if it had stayed flat 'till 5600 or so.

Could you list your mods so far?

Attachments

• CIMG0384.JPG
    CIMG0384.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 24
  • CIMG0421.JPG
    CIMG0421.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 26
  • CIMG0425.JPG
    CIMG0425.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 20