Turbo's

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
of course they "work" ..they produce boost. But heat makes a turbocharger work most efficiently not wind. They have the proof.. dyno runs, track times.. but the same engine would most likely benefit from a turbo mounted closer exhaust ports, allowing the thermal characteristics of the turbine to work most efficiently. *BUT* these systems are not designed for vehicles with enormous amounts of space under the hood.. (like any car manufactured after around 1975). They where designed for vehicles that simply cannot fit a turbo under the hood, let alone 2. It obviously is a performance increase, but i would rather cut the fender and make 20+ lbs of boost... but that's just my $.02

Yeah, I don't disagree that they work. But they are not optimal in my opinion.

I'm glad they decided to think outside the box though.

STEALTH 99 C5
CF Senior Member

East Coast

(Quote)
Originally Posted by 427 C5
Thanks for the update.

Please keep us posted on how your STS/Cartek turbo setup compares to your N/A 441ci?

How does the power delivery compare?
Which would your prefer as a street car and why? (Unquote)

My 441 NA was awesome , but it doesn't compare to the feeling you get when the boost comes on , and it comes on almost instantly , turbo lag is none existent .

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1141071&page=5&pp=20&highlight=STS

rarson said:
Yeah, I don't disagree that they work. But they are not optimal in my opinion.

I'm glad they decided to think outside the box though.

Fair enough and yet what is optimal? If you infer perfection or even close then that is theoretical only. EVERY car is a compromise. The fact that remote mounting works at all is intriquing. The claims and indications that it works pretty darn good... are... well... eye opening. But of course you must allow yourself, as you put it, to think OUTSIDE the BOX.

STS turbo's

Hey everyone,

My name is Shane I am the Owner of Performance Corvette, connect with Install/ tuner Lee Howie's Howies Automotive here in Columbus OHIO.

Currently I am this state authorited STS Power Dealer here in OHIO, so if anyone who goes to there site STSturbo.com see's and like there products for the current line of vechicle they offer for, and live in the Northeastern U.S.A feel free to drop me a email and I will try to answer your question to the best of my Knowledge. [email protected]

And by the way I was wondering I have a 04 Tundra V8 4wheel drive doublecab truck. I was wondering with a single turbo setup for this truck, whether being a frontmounted or rear-mounted kit like STS offers, I was wondering what is the most At the fly-wheel horsepower and boost level and the 2uv motor handle.

I ask because I am really more familiar with GM PRODUCTS than the Toyota line when i comes to performance access.
Ihave a 04 Zo6 corvette currently stock for now but I will be receiving 1 of the first of the 4 preproduction TT kits offer for the C'5.

Aprreciate any info for the truck later. Plus I will be getting in touch with STS to ask them the same question about there kit offered for my truck to Later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blindfold

Attachments

• 4age intake piping2.JPG
    4age intake piping2.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 4age in7.JPG
    4age in7.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 5
The response of an STS system will be a couple hundred rpm worse at most. Saying it won't work well is ignorance to the obvious.

In a normal single V setup, you merge the pipes, which is going to be 180* flow change for both banks & 4-5' of pipe just to get moving in the right direction. Then you've got whatever piping to get the turbo where it's going to sit. Another 4-5' of pipe, and more bending.
What people normally wind up with is 8-10' of bendy pipe.
VS
10' of straight pipe through a resonator, & cat. Less you have a plugged, or old cat - it's not going to matter.
It winds up being very close to the same thing as a V bank setup, if not equal to some.

Is there a difference between cold & hot turbo's? No. All that is required is the proper choice of turbo - like any other install. You size the turbocharger too large and it's going to respond slowly. Size one small and you'll have great response, and the boost will fall off once you're on the back side of the efficiency range.

"Oh oh but what about the heat loss". Get over it. Every turbocharger that isn't mounted on the manifold is dealing with massive heat loss, and it simply isn't a problem.
In importance, heat loss ranks right in there with an air filter. Sure, you can make a miniscule difference with it, but to actually tell someone it's an object that matters performance wise is generally laffable.
In practice, once you've gone some six inches from the exhaust valve to the manifold, you've already gone from peak temps of 2500*F down to 1200*F. It's practically halved. The same thing happens by the time you're at the normal point on a y-pipe before a cat.

Ya. Heat makes a big difference. There is so much more energy in that 600-800*F peak exhaust temp on a non-manifold mount (typical) than there is at 200-400*F maximum after the cat.

My oil return was inspired by theirs. The trick is to get in incoming flow correct as much as it is use a pump.

Mine smoked like a mother on a 4AN size line. Going to a 3AN line with a restrictor cut the smoking almost fully under boost with NO pump - AT OIL PAN LEVEL. (Fully solved using a spare, small fuel pump a few inches from the return).

In short, most people run 4AN lines when the trueth is that is more than needed in the first place. A 3AN, and even a restricted one is more in-line with what most turbo's actually need flowing through them.

1ulover - your argument not only lacks a first hand personal experience with the system, and similar types of systems, but what you are trying to pass off as "common knowledge" is a complete cover-up for a lack of "practical experience, application, and understanding" of what you're talking about.

I'm not bashing, but the point is if you actually had a clue about what you're talking about (instead of reading the same tired free paragraphs from Maximum Boost people try to theorize from - then think they know boatloads about the entire encompassing subject); you would know better.
I am not a genius, but I do know better than that.

Not to argue, but dis-information isn't going to help you guys. Sorry to rant but sheesh what a mostly useless thread LoL!

The big thing about STS, is turbo sizing.

If their stock system doesn't exactly do it for you once it's on; I am confidant if someone could nullify any small shortcomings about their choice in turbo/powerband by finding out what the stock turbo is, selling it & buying a better suited one for the powerband you want.

I have riden & driven a 10psi Tacoma. It's a nice system, take my word for it. Is it laggy? Not particularly. It's more like driving a good factory turbocharged system, instead of medium-large amounts of lag like an oversized turbocharger will provide.

Like I said, I am confidant any lag is from the choice in turbo, and if it was a problem, could be taken care of by a different choice.

So, what do Mr2 users do, put their turbo on the front of the car?
:p

Seriously, I am not ready to discount the effectiveness of a system like this, but even if there were no power loss and no extra boost lag, I guess I just -prefer- a turbo close to the engine. Once installed, I think it's actually more convenient to have all the essential components in the same place.

You can hear the lag in the videos. Most of the cars in the videos are big, 5.7L engines. I wonder why they haven't made any 4-cylinder kits yet?

Turbines work off both differential pressure AND temperature. Change one and you are probably changing the other. So not only is there less heat, there will also be less pressure. I am not saying that you can't size a turbo around this. I'm saying that drag racing guys like John Shepherd in his 1000+ hp 2.0 L turbo engine aren't going to be dumping their setups for a rear-mount turbo.

"Better" in this case depends totally on the application and the desires of the driver. There are certainly a few advantages to the system which would make it a better choice for some people.