Turbo's

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Aikidostudent

Hey everyone I haven't been here for awhile so i will drop buy and say hey.

Current to this day I am a owner of a 2004 Z06 corvette stock completely almost, and a 2004 Toyota Tundra v8 4wheeldrive double cab sweet truck.

Well the reason I am here I am currently in the works of becoming a STS Power Dealer and have access to one or more shop or install and tuning of their product here in Columbus Ohio.

Check out there website at STSturbos.com they offer for the,

1.Toyota tundra 2001-2004 a rear mounted turbo system!
2. Toyota tacoma truck 1996-2004 a rear mounted turbo system.

The are the only company with a patented remote mounted turbo system for this truck on the market at this point in time I do believe.
Check them out I i do believe you will like there producst.

Since there is a big interest in the sC400 line I am going to talk with the rep and see if there is any chance of a single or twin turbo remote mount system in the near future.

I will keep and touch and happy shoppy if u like!!! later

C5 Corvette?

STS Turbosystems?

Here is your number.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1119571&page=1&pp=20

ZRATED6-56.jpg

There are few issues with this system.
1. Oil Drainage
2. Turbo response
3. Height clearance

I was asked to be a dealer also few weeks ago. I personally met David from STS at SEMA 2004. Honestly speaking i am not impress with their design. With the proper parts, 99% of muffler shops can do this in few hours.
ZRATEDC-59.jpg

ZRATEDC-512.jpg

ZRATEDC-511.jpg

ZRATED6-55.jpg

I would have to say this is certainly interesting...... I have seen these types of setups before but never really gave them much thought........ this is indeed interesting however......... It would help some issues with the SC400 that is for sure.......

Dan

Rear mounted turbo system? Right...is it just me or is the whole concept be only described by the word 'stupid'? You could count the lag with a stop watch.

Trying to find where to mount two turbos on a 1UZ RX-7... and then I read this thread... hmmm...

I would say that I also do not like the idea of a rear-mount turbo. Not only do you have much more exhaust pipe before the turbo, but you also have a lot more intake pipe after. But I know some rally cars used to mount their turbos underneath the car, behind the engine.

This system is low mount and rear mount. Low mount is not much of a problem. However, rear mount would have responsiveness due to both exhaust and inlet distant along with heat lost. The system will drive ok with just acceleration, but for racing like constant acceleration or deceleration, then lag will be very noticeable.

Would like to see some independant reviews from someone who'd driven a car with the STS setup. I wonder how good the intercooling of the return pipe would be seeing as it has no intercooler?

I would imagine, seeing how real intercoolers have fins and turbulators to transfer heat, that the heat loss of hot compressed air through piping would be fairly small. I just don't see how lengthening the piping could cool the air enough. I mean, some cars already have that much piping, AND an intercooler.

Well, I just checked out the site and I must say it was pretty cool. By far the best part of the site is the videos. The sound of the exhaust is what I expected; well-muffled by the turbo, with lots of turbine wheel noise.

The problem is, for me, I don't like the sound of some of the v8's with this system. They sound a lot like diesels. Also, the turbo lag, while better than I was expecting, seems a little slower than how they paint the picture. You'll notice too that they recommend front mount intercoolers for increased boost levels.

The system seems pretty well designed but to me it seems there are several drawbacks to it.

Attachments

• DSC02056.jpg
    DSC02056.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC02055.jpg
    DSC02055.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC02054.jpg
    DSC02054.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 3
1ulover said:
Rear mounted turbo system? Right...is it just me or is the whole concept be only described by the word 'stupid'? You could count the lag with a stop watch.

When I read this post I would also apply the same word... only back at you.

Commenting without educating yourself is ignorant.

There are a number of small design changes I would make. A self contained oil system would be one of them. Any boost over a few PSI would benefit with an intercooler especially on higher compression engine such as this one or the xUZFE. The C5 design does incorporate a FMIC.

I would also utilize integral WGs. IMO the only justification for external WG would be if boost creep was a problem or in a highly specialized high flow WG dependent system.

Boost response with properly sized turbines and compressors does not seem to be a problem although as David noted for quick successive on/off/on/off it may be a different story. So far the design, while not always done in an aesthetic manner or with the best engineering... does WORK and does create packaging options not available with traditional turbo mounting.

John,

Thanks for the dyno post. As we can see, dyno charts are very deceptive. For example, if the tech rev the engine up to 1500 rpm and hold it. The ball bearing turbos will spin and start to make boost/or air flow. From there the tech just record the dyno like normal. The biggest draw back would be succesive on/off/on/off. In real life driving would be succesive.

Because of the responsiveness of this system. The maker will try to use the smallest A/R with ball bearing.

JBrady said:
When I read this post I would also apply the same word... only back at you.

Commenting without educating yourself is ignorant.
Really? I find it remarkable you would actually endorse this product. No really, you must have a serious deficiency in elementary technical knowledge of turbo systems to be propent of this ridiculous and ill conceived system, and your acceptance of all the manufactures claims at face value not only makes you gullible, but also naive.

Even a technical rookie would identify the serious technical flaws of this design. Engine response would be at a severe deficiency to traditional mounting, lubrication would be tricky (I'd love to know how you would make a self contained system?), rear clearance and the installation of some kind of charge cooling...hey why not run a rear mount intercooler also? Not to mention it would take a theif probably 5 minutes with a handful of sockets to steal both turbos.

But hey, if this isn't important to you go for it. I will eagerly await the results.

Not only is there extra exhaust length but there is also the catalytic converter in the way, for those that want to keep their car legal. There IS an appreciable amount of lag, and this is obvious when you take note of another obvious design flaw. STS claims the turbo muffles the exhaust, which it sure does, but not when the wastegate opens and exhaust bypasses the turbine. You can hear this happen, and the disturbing thing is the amount of time it takes for the wastegate to open... considering that these are big displacement V8 engines with small turbos running small amounts of boost.

1ulover said:
Really? I find it remarkable you would actually endorse this product. No really, you must have a serious deficiency in elementary technical knowledge of turbo systems to be propent of this ridiculous and ill conceived system, and your acceptance of all the manufactures claims at face value not only makes you gullible, but also naive.

Even a technical rookie would identify the serious technical flaws of this design. Engine response would be at a severe deficiency to traditional mounting, lubrication would be tricky (I'd love to know how you would make a self contained system?), rear clearance and the installation of some kind of charge cooling...hey why not run a rear mount intercooler also? Not to mention it would take a theif probably 5 minutes with a handful of sockets to steal both turbos.

But hey, if this isn't important to you go for it. I will eagerly await the results.

Out of six posts you have "contributed" to this site 2 of them have been to insult a moderator :headache:

Apparently your deficiency is in reading as a simple exercise should have changed your review of my comments. Communication does not seem to be your forte either as a question regarding WHY I made a statement that you MAY have misunderstood would be the cordial and positive way to address a forum in which you have yet to establish yourself or made any meaningful contribution.

As for your opinion of my technical competence, gullibility and naiveté... start reading.

I must be a fool. Rear mount turbos simply DO NOT work. I mean... a lousy 9.88 second 137+mph 1/4 mile runs proves it... right? :bigeyes:
Everyone knows that Cartek is a severely technically inept company.

(for the reading impaired the above paragraph is known as sarcasm)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1180319&forum_id=86

BTW, much of the "noise" in the video is another car doing its pre stage burnout.

Read the link above to get the owners feedback. Check out the video below.

http://www.learntodragrace.com/miker988mph.wmv