truck swaps - how did you do cooling? WANT PIcS

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
my rad

Hi SuperRunner,
here is a pic of the radiator room in my Hilux. I did move the engine back as far as possible, and also did some slight reshaping of the firewall near the passengers side cam (just some flattening, no cutting or welding)

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c119/muzzanz/radroomsmall.jpg

The picture is about 6 months old, and I've added a cold air box to it since (and a different radiator cap) but you can see that there is quite a bit of room in there for a decent pull fan. The main obstruction would be from the stainless steel pipe that comes across the top of the radiator to the thermostat housing, if it could be moved back or up slightly then there would be about 120 - 150mm at the narrowest point.

Hope that helps,

Muzz

if you wheel at all, I suggest you find another way to mount your fans. Vibrations of off road will eventually wear through the tubes...I know from experience while up in the mountains.

Looks nice though.

Cheers SuperRunner,
that's a good call. I think from memory the fans had a spongy lip on them, but I might just taken them off and check to be safe.

FYI, here is the ute with a cold(ish) air intake. It probably wouldn't be good for offroad stuff and all the dust, but I only use mine on road.
Under bonnet:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c119/muzzanz/underbonnet1.jpg
Inlet through grille (I cut away part of the black grille blank):
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c119/muzzanz/airinlet.jpg
Air box removed:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c119/muzzanz/coldairboxremoved.jpg

Muzz

I ran the std. V6 radiator in mine for almost a year with a 16" ice thermo fan. It was fine for around town, but would get hot when offroad. The std. radiator also ran smaller hoses than what the lexus has so this was causing some restriction, as well as the mitred joint I had.

I ended up getting another core which is slightly thicker and about 3" taller. I got it to suit the bigger size radiator hose, and had smooth bends instead of the mitred ones. This setup has worked great for both on and offroad, until recently. Went to fraser island, and when fully loaded with a trailer on the back it couldn't cope in the soft sand. Would have to stop every 10-15mins when it got to 110degrees. Only took a phew minutes to cool down but and I'd be on my way again.

Will evenutally upgrade to an alloy one, hopefully before this years fraser trip.

Heres some pics.

New radiator and the 16" fan on the left, std. 3vze V6 radiator on the right.
DSCF1266.sized.jpg

DSCF1268.sized.jpg

Engine bay
DSCF1279.sized.jpg

I'm also running a GU Patrol Bonnet Scoop
DoubleIsland_005.sized.jpg

Twisty, I don't remember if you had mentioned if you had move your running gear back at all? Also, could I get the measurments of that radiator?

Looks nice.

Motor is about 10mm off the std. firewall....gearbox moved back about 35mm.

Will get some measurements of the radiator on the weekend for you.

Did you have to modify drivelines in order to do that? Seems that might be right on the threshold of having to modify them...that is if you stayed with the original drivetrain.

Don't thread hijack Matanga, you have already started two of your own threads.

Twisty, have you got the dimensions of that radiator, I am looking to do something similar. Did you need to mod the bottom outlet?

Cheers
Matt.

That larger radiator that Twisty has looks an awful lot like the one made for shevy small block engine swaps from DowneyOffroad.com , anyonw have any actual familiarity with these? Maybe its an option. Theirs also has an electric fan to go with it.
aaron

Superrunner..I used the standard 3b 4 core rad with it's original shroud with the Hydro Fan setup...Works Bloody well even when Off road thrashing..sits an even 85-90 deg(thermostat range) during road use and when the going get harder it just rises to around 100 but only for a short time then backs right off to 90 odd after like 5 - 10 mins..
This setup is going the change as the Winch is getting put where the rad is now and the rad will be moved as close as it can get to the motor..cheerzzz