Transmission is slipping

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

VH 1UZ-FE

Hi,

Here is the problem:

Sometimes when i put the car in drive, it just sits there (like it's in neutral) and doesn't move until i rev it a bit, then i quickly goes into gear and goes forward. It also does this in reverse. It also does it when i drive along, then if i don't keep the rev's up, it will go until neutral until i rev it abit.

At this stage i think it is a fluid level / fluid type problem. I am running dextron III in there and have played around with the fluid levels a bit. The problem seems to get worse as i have less fluid in the tranny and as i fill it up it gets better. Now, the fluid level is above the maximum line and the problem persists.

It doesn't seem to make a difference whether the car is hot or cold (i will have to confirm this though)

1.) Can you hurt the tranny by putting too much fluid in there?
2.) Is this a fluid level problem?
3.) Is it a fluid type problem?
4.)Could it be that the tranny is on too much of an angle? (i had to lean it down a bit to get it to fit in the car - VH commodore)
5.) Should i be worried? and take it in for a service or something?

The tranny is out of a 91 model crown. Seperate computer for tranny.

Just on the dipstick. There is a hot and cold mark. It currently reads above the hot mark at normal operating temperatures. Why is that?

Sorry if this offends but are you reading the fluid level with the engine running? You should be.

Attachments

• DSC02774.jpg
    DSC02774.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 3
Your running dextron III in a 1UZ auto?

There is your problem most likely.. they use toyota type IV fluid.. (Or castrol transmax Z)

Get your auto flushed, and get the correct fluid in there...

MacroP, i will try reading it when the engine is running. Thanks. It didn't offend.

Me 3, I have spoken to a guy who works with these engines a lot and he said it should be fine on dextron III. I have heard that it takes about 12L to flush the auto, and the toyota fluid costs about $100/4L. So I am looking at about $300 to flush the auto. Can't wait. I will play with the fluid level a bit more and see how that goes. Thanks.

VH 1UZ-FE said:
MacroP, i will try reading it when the engine is running. Thanks. It didn't offend.

Me 3, I have spoken to a guy who works with these engines a lot and he said it should be fine on dextron III. I have heard that it takes about 12L to flush the auto, and the toyota fluid costs about $100/4L. So I am looking at about $300 to flush the auto. Can't wait. I will play with the fluid level a bit more and see how that goes. Thanks.
Dexron type II and III are fine for the 1UZFE in the U.S. It's actually printed on the dip stick saying Dexron II. I'm not sure if you guys are having the same tranny as in the U.S.

Toyota type four is arround $37 australian for four litres. I have now bought 3 tins of it thru toyota. I have seen several articles to say dont fit anything but the toyota fluid

Trade price is around $25 for 4 litres of type IV if you know someone in the game. Holds around 10 litres in total, so 3 tins are needed as pointed out before. I paid under $30 for a new valve body filter,pan gasket, and extension housing gasket from a local auto workshop. They had to get the filter in overnight because the A341E is not a common tranny.
Pan gasket and housing gasket are very common though. If you are going to drop the pan and remove the filter, best to take it with you to the auto workshop so they can reference it easily with their catalogues.

To me the problem is purely a lack of fluid. It sounds as if the torque converter is simple slipping(lack of fluid) not the transmission itself. It takes a lot of fluid to feed the torque converter when the engine is running. Your fluid level will be much higher when the engine is not running, so running the engine pulls the fluid level down quite a lot. Take the car for a spin to get the fluid hot, set it in park and check the fluid level whilst the engine is idling. Add 1 more litre(won't hurt anything) and take it for a test drive and look for a change. Rinse and repeat. Add more dextron 3 to get the fault fixed and if it fixed drain the lot properly (is a lot of mucking around) and replace it with Type 4.

From what I've read. US spec 1UZ's run a A340E in the SC400, A341E is in the LS400. JDM SC400(Soarer) and LS400(Celsior) both run the A341E.

Dextron 3 for A340E's
Type IV for A341E tranny's.
The dipstick should have Type II written on it which is the older Toyota type II and type IV is the replacement for this now.

Thanks MacroP. Will do that this arvo.
My tranny is out of the crown (Mid bowl sump), so do you know which tranny it is?

You have an A341E tranny.

I was down on fluid at one stage, had the same symptons, but it was way down, not just down.

Doesn't matter if its Dexron 3 or Type IV, its not going to solve this problem.
The tranny will run on both. But it will be a little happier on Type IV.
Fix the problem before you swap to Type IV.

Last time I put oil in my tranny, I kept filling it up until fluid was spilling out the join between the upper and lower dipstick tubes. By the time that fluid was pumping around the level was just about right.