Tiptronic Controller

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
TOBES said:
KDog,
a late model Falcon. The shifter operates the shift lever on the trans thru park-reverse-neural as standard. When drive is selected the shifter is spring loaded to move to the left into the tiptronic gate, the lever would disengage from the trans shift lever and the trans would select first gear. From there gear selection is controlled by the switches mounted at each end of the tiptronic gate, pull to change up and push to change down. I would remove the lower gear positions from the shifter.
To engage neutral, the lever needs to be pushed to the right, against the spring pressure, and forward making accidental neutral selection unlikely. Not all applications will be as safe as this....
regarding this for TOBES and KDOG,
i may require a similar setup and was hoping the late falcon(BA XR6 auto especially) shifter would work in this way,can you confirm?
lever and swithcing is not a prob for me to adapt but i need to know if it functions as required with the tiptronic kit.

thanks Dean

Kdog, i drove a lexus powered falcon yesterday that i am planning to buy,
but the owner who fitted it up says the bits to run the trans normally are integrated into dash loom or something and hence diddn't use it.

the computer for the trans(conversion is from a crown halfcut) is there and hooked up but the way the owner has driven this car for 12months(engineer would not pass this the way it is at the moment i don't think)
the proceedure the driver uses is: put selecter in first gear, drive upto desired revs put selector into second cruise up to next shift point and flick a switch(assuming this is powering up a solenoid or cutting power) third now engaged cruise upto 100km/h and select drive for ODrive. reverse this proceedure for slowing down.

can your conversion sort this problem? what is the driving proceedure exactly?

OK,
Hopefully the the following will sort out some of the questions.

The unit will control the changing of gears 1st through to 4th when the shifter for the box is in "D" position.

For R, P, N etc you will need to push the shifter you are using into the the position you need. ie if you want reverse you need to put your shifter into the R position like normal.

If you need 2nd gear, then you will need to put the shifter in to the "D" position and select 2nd on the controller as well by using the push buttons. Once the shifter is in "D" you can use the controller to shift from 1st through to 4th and back again.

My controller is completely independent of the shifter mechanism. You can use whatever you like. In my car I kelt the stock Ford one because it is close enough to the crown one. I would recommend that you use the crown one if possible as the distances and notch position will already match the box.

KDog said:
. In my car I kelt the stock Ford one because it is close enough to the crown one. I would recommend that you use the crown one if possible as the distances and notch position will already match the box.

KDog just found a nother solution i think(haven't got the car yet so not sure) may i ask what youre conversion is seeing you're using a FORD shifter??

i would probably like for simpler sake to set it up to run as normal first leave in drive and let it do its job. this can be sorted with a 4 pulse generator i beleive?

My car is a NA fairlane with the older 3 speed in it.
I left the stock shifter in there because it only has 1st,2n and D just like the toyo shifter (a normal 4sp auto would have 1st,2nd 3rd and D positions).

Not sure about the second part of you question, what exactly do you mean?
Do you intend to have a normal automatic function in drive?

KDog said:
My car is a NA fairlane with the older 3 speed in it.
I left the stock shifter in there because it only has 1st,2n and D just like the toyo shifter (a normal 4sp auto would have 1st,2nd 3rd and D positions).

Not sure about the second part of you question, what exactly do you mean?
Do you intend to have a normal automatic function in drive?
so you have a driving NA fairlane with a 1UZ? wow any pics/threads on this site or others?

yeah you understood what i meant with driving in drive.
but what and how does the tip tronic do. yes or no to this statement: place shifter in drive(how is the tiptronic thing here automatically in first?) go up and down gears using 2 switches? including OD? this does effect shift quality(shift kit style?)does it have a gear indicater to know what is selected?

Sorry for so many questions, got i bit of a tight scedule to make up my mind about this particular car i plan to buy(no engineers cert may only need shift probs fixed to pass)

PS: does this tiptronic kit still need the 4pulse per REV input for the trans computer as this is what i need to get it to drive in drive at least(as far as i know)

thanks in anticipation Dean

deankdx said:
place shifter in drive(how is the tiptronic thing here automatically in first?) go up and down gears using 2 switches? including OD? this does effect shift quality(shift kit style?)does it have a gear indicater to know what is selected?

Because thats how the unit is programmed.
Yes.
Yes.
It makes the gear changes quicker and a bit more harsh - a bit like a shift kit.
Yes.

I would recomend that you read the instruction for the unit. It should answer any other questions you might have.

ok KDog, i NOW understand and evryone else who reads this thread should also.(i understand LAYMANS terms well)so the next step is, first get the box working with 4 pulse per rev signal. SEE IF i like the way it shifts, then consider tiptronic kit

BUT! this may be a new question and possibility, could the tiptronic controller be switched off?? and revert back to a standard operation?
if this is possible then you would have a sale to me for sure.

the other idea for BA shifter is expensive but would be a nice conversion, spoke to a guy with a falcon EA from another forum who has fitted up the BA tiptronic style shifter to his ea ford auto, he said they have P R N D(operated by a cable to trans), then use the other tiptronic bit for other gears, he say he hasn't bothered trying to get electronic stuff to work(mainly cosmetic) but the throw of the shifter is the same as E series falcon(which as i found and others is as near as damit the same as toyota)
so i see no reason why with a tiptronic setup using ford shifter would not be a neat functional safe setup albeit a little dear,(forgotten price already but it was around $400ish i think? i will try to get a pic for people who aren't familiar)

and Kdog,(must be getting sick of me by now?) how many wires would there need to be switched to have the tiptronic controller revert to a normal functioning AUTO, a couple of DPDT switches or is there several wires? if this could even work? thanks Dean

I like the Ford shifter as it is a functional, good looking unit. The cable operation is a must as the trans in the van is a couple of meters from the shifter. I will install buttons or paddles as well.
Would be keen to see any pictures you can find...

Cool. Thanks for the photo.

Looks to be just what I want. Will have to tackle the local Ford dealer to see if I can get a photocopy of the parts drawings. Will ring around the wreckers for price and availability.
Would love a couple of photo's from underneath if you have the inclination and opportunity to go crawling......

TOBES said:
Cool. Thanks for the photo.

Looks to be just what I want. Will have to tackle the local Ford dealer to see if I can get a photocopy of the parts drawings. Will ring around the wreckers for price and availability.
Would love a couple of photo's from underneath if you have the inclination and opportunity to go crawling......
i have asked for underneath photos from this install and the guy said no worries but he will have to dig them up from a folder somewhere in his computer(like me stuff hidden everywhere) i will post them when he puts them up on the other forum(i'm a bit of a forum junkie now and can't remember which one it was)

deankdx said:
and Kdog,(must be getting sick of me by now?) how many wires would there need to be switched to have the tiptronic controller revert to a normal functioning AUTO, a couple of DPDT switches or is there several wires? if this could even work? thanks Dean
Kdog you have a confirmed order from me, if it can be switched off to run in drive as an auto also.

switching from auto to tiptronic and back

hi again Kdog,
i thought of another way in which the tip tronic could be sitched on and off, if you had a relay for each signal wire and a power from one remote switch(put it anywhere) to turn relays from auto to tiptronic and back, how many wires would need to be switched?
any thoughts on the idea?

pro240c said:
i'm using a volvo shifter...
falcon one works fine, BUT kdog has made a kit to change gears electronically with a quicker shift in a tiptronic style(not sure if you mean using tiptroic with volvo shifter similar to falcon BA pictured earlier in this thread?)

what i've got at the moment is pretty much a normal auto type shifter, but i'd like to be able to flick a switch and turn on a tiptronic kit and change gears with switches for racing purposes(like a manual without a clutch), then be able to turn it back to full auto mode leaving it in drive.

For the TC34E controller you would need to switch 4 wires. to turn it off.
The 3 solenoid control wires and the main power wire.
For the Crown UZS131 ECT I am not sure how many would need to be switched.
Probably 7.
Some would just be straight on/off whilst others would need to be switched to the unit that is doing the controlling. It would be easier if a dedicated circuit was made to do this.

Edit;
A a side note I will be odering parts for more controllers on monday next week.

KDog said:
For the TC34E controller you would need to switch 4 wires. to turn it off.
The 3 solenoid control wires and the main power wire.
For the Crown UZS131 ECT I am not sure how many would need to be switched.
Probably 7.
Some would just be straight on/off whilst others would need to be switched to the unit that is doing the controlling. It would be easier if a dedicated circuit was made to do this.

Edit;
A a side note I will be odering parts for more controllers on monday next week.
would you mind doing the sums on this, no rush, i'm a customer also if it is a switchable device providing the cost doesn't blow out too much more.
thanks Dean

adding one of these and runnin full auto shift and switch to full manual sdhift is all trial and error

remember the main ecu controls the gbox so in theory your changing the gears and the ecu might want to change them at a different time

just fit one and play around with what wires need to be cut for the engine ecu to not go into limp mode
basically u need to tell it theres no auto gbox

i will play round with one on my crown 1uz eventually and see what the engine ecu does when i remove the auto ecu