Tiptronic Controller

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

techo

I was informed at the 1st Sydney Lexus meeting that the Australian supplier of Tiptronic controllers has ceased production. Is there anyone else making such a device?

I will start making them again early next year. I stopped making them because it became impossible to purchase the parts required in the quantities the project needed. THis shouldn't be a problem anymore.
Cheers

is there an easy way to integrate a rev matching sequence to the automatic downshift? ie. when the downshift selection is made, the transmission shifts into neutral, then a signal is sent to a motor/solenoid which uses the cruise throttle cable to rev the engine; when the predetermined rpm vs gear vs driveshaft speed is reached, the transmission shifts to the lower gear. it would be easy to write an algorithm to determine what rpm the engine needs to be at to match drivetrain speed one gear ratio lower than a given gear. the hardest part is the electrical, i haven't found anyone who can do it. it can be a standalone box for automatics which uses a few simple sensors and a shifter signal for input. making a 1-11/2 second downshift possible in an automatic like this is no easy feat, but is not unreasonable. i've been looking to move forward with a project like this so i can use an auto on a road course comfortable. assuming you can already control shifting, my only gripe is jerky downshifting.

Cost is $290 But if I can make 10 at a time then it will come down to around $250, not a huge saving but its better than nothing.
Am currently on holidays, so will be able to respond to other questions soon.
Cheers

hey kdog

if u are lookin for 10 then i will have 2 so hopefully others will wnat em tooo and this will get yr order of 10
let me know

i want to test one on my car and try to switch from full auto to full manual

then ill keep one for customers cars

KDog,

I read in a previous post that the trans will shift into first gear when the shifter is moved into the 'drive' position. From there you use the buttons to shift up and down.

If I shift from neutral to drive at 100 km/hr, will it still engage first gear...????

Could be interesting......

Tobes,
Not if you have the controller in a different gear. The controller only automatically selects 1st gear when it is powered up. The rest of the time it is up to you.
Would you be dumb enough to do this in a manual??? Why would you do it now???
If someone isn't smart enough to work this out may be driving a car isn't for them.

KDog,

You should never under-estimate human nature or the species ability to f**k up. Also remember Murphy's 2nd law, 'What ever can go wrong, will go wrong and always at the worst possible moment!'

I am not suggesting that this would be standard practice, but...
I have seen people who coast up to a set of trafic lights in neutral and re-engage drive when the lights change. We have several sets of lights on our local motorways in the 100 km zone...
The shifter in my Honda, for example, has no lockout between D3 - D4 and D4 - neutral so if the loverly blonde in the passenger seat, with her face in my lap, should knock the shifter into neutral with her shoulder I feel that it is important that I know that I should stop before re-engaging drive....
It could also be valuable information I should tell anyone else who may drive my car.

How comprehensive is the disclaimer and operating instructions that you issue when you sell your product?? I would hate to see some egg do this and then attempt to sue you....

I was hoping to set the tiptronic controller up as the sole shift method using a tiptronic shifter from, for example, a late model Falcon. The shifter operates the shift lever on the trans thru park-reverse-neural as standard. When drive is selected the shifter is spring loaded to move to the left into the tiptronic gate, the lever would disengage from the trans shift lever and the trans would select first gear. From there gear selection is controlled by the switches mounted at each end of the tiptronic gate, pull to change up and push to change down. I would remove the lower gear positions from the shifter.
To engage neutral, the lever needs to be pushed to the right, against the spring pressure, and forward making accidental neutral selection unlikely. Not all applications will be as safe as this....

Most older cars have a lockout on the shifter to prevent accidental knockage into neutral. This is a purely mechanical device and has nothing to do with my shift controller at all.
You can implement any kind of shift lever you wish, the unit is not stopping you.

Cool...
So, with my set up, the unit will power up when the engine is started and 1st gear will be selected the first time I engage drive. After that the unit will select whatever gear is shown on the display.
If I have finally got it right, this controller is exactly what I need.

Providing you are in a position to make these controllers, can we get a group buy underway?