Sump to Crank Clearance???

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

TOBES

I have to build a rear mount sump with the shallowest possible front section for clearance over the crossmember/steering rack. What is the minimum clearance I can get away with between the crankshaft and the sump? The pickup tube will need to run down the side to the rear pan and the standard tube is 1" dia.
Also after ideas for windage trays, louvered or mesh screen, and crank scrapers...

Cheers

The dry sump pans that are used on the Daytona Prototype (Grand Am) cars here in the US dont have much more than 1 inch of draft below the bottom edge of the block due to the crank sitting up so high in the block.

I think I have a similar dry sump on the shelf. I f I can find it i will shoot a picture or two and post it...

Steve

Hi Tobes,
My custom rear sump had 35mm internal (bottom edge of block to bottom of pan) clearance and that left room for the oil pickup tube down the LHS (from front) I wouldn't want to go much shallower than that.

Muzz

I'm making a oil pan with about 10mm clearance from bottom to crank in the rear. In front there will be about 50mm.

Is it too little clearance with 10mm in the rear?

Steve, that is a really nice looking piece of engineering... I'll second Peewee's question, where, how much and when can I have one?????
The internal ribs in that pan would certainly stiffen the whole assembly and the block. Does it bolt to the bellhousing as the std one does? What revs do they use?

The crank is 20mm lower than the block flange so that would allow 21mm crank to sump. I agree 15mm would have to be the minimum. This allows clearance around the 25mm pick up tube
I would like to get the pickup tube around and down the right hand side. That would free up the left side and allow a similar scraper setup to strip the oil from the crank and protect it from the crank windage untill it can drain back into the pan at the rear. Maybe a mesh screen as well??

Gents,

Unfortunately, this is a part that I recieved from a friend in the Grand Am Series.

I can do up a proper drawing and make it available if anyone is really interested. The biggest problem is that the scavenge pickup for the sump is on the right hand side and involves a secondary part that holds the lines. The Pump itself is then braketed roughly where the Alternator lives.

The good news is that a newer, lighter sump was developed for this engine, but that is part that is not available to the public.

Steve