Short runner manifold

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JustenGT8

Time to start a thread for this.

I'm about to make a prototype short intake runner lower half of the intake manifold. It will use the stock plenum and i aim to make this a straight bolt on and quite a stealth setup.

Dyno sheets before and after to come.

Looking forward to see the dyno results. I was thinking of a similar design as being the easiest option... good for you to have a go. Thats my next step after the head work.

Not quite. Lasercut top plate, with standard lower flange. Tubes between and at this stage looks like will get away with standard injector position and fuel rail..albeit with modified rail mounts.

Is is a bit of a quick and dirty but still want it to be engineered well.

Yeah we have been looking at the same thing lately with the lower manifold, just concentrating on porting and valves and cams at the moment though... Looks like you will need new injector bosses right? Some of the runners you can get away with it but the ones with the rail mounts dont look feasible.

It's very close for sure but i think i can just sneak the new runners in and keep the stock injector bosses....they may need a quick tidy up if the weld bead runs into them. Certainly new fuel rail mounts are needed and the injectors might come back a mm or 2...not enough to effect the seal though.

Ok a update. Laser cut flange plates are done....have been waiting for me to pick up for a coupla weeks now, duh. 12mm alloy, look pretty sweet and fit nice.

Will post pics this evening as the work server won't talk to photobucket to upload images.

what do you mean by top plates.

not sure if its the same thing but would you be willing to sell a set of flanges to the head to others to make a manifold if you made flanges that is.

The top plate is just that the top miunting surface of the lower manifold. With the setup i am doing you keep the stock plenum as nothing wrong with that section and will greatly simplify the install, not to mention help keep the stock look for any unwanted scrutiny.

Will be clear when you see pic.

At this stage i'm just using the factory head flange in cut down form. If i get the gains i think i will from this proj then will look to go with a complete cast bottom manifold.

the difficulty with a head flange plate is you ideally want a wedge to give you the horizontal face to work off.....doable (Jaffa has done this) but not a simple and relatively cheap laser cutting exercise.

Ah justin you're skipping the crossover, so tube 1 to 4 if the upperintake manifold that normally go towards the opposing side 1 to 4 cylinders won't in your installation, instead they stay on that side of the engine, smart idea to get shorter runners!
I thought of something similar (with a different purpose though) in my intake but decided it won't work for me.

grtz Thomas