Safely boosting a 2uzfe and BOV Advice Requested

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

screename

So I installed an STS Turbo and I have it set to 5psi of boost and 8psi on the switch. How much is safe?

I need suggestions for a BOV and Intercooler.

Thanks in advance.

So I installed an STS Turbo and I have it set to 5psi of boost and 8psi on the switch. How much is safe?

I need suggestions for a BOV and Intercooler.

Thanks in advance.
As far as I've seen, 5 - 8 psi are safe to most stock engines, given the engine has enough fuel. An intercooler with a 3" core is ideal for your application. 2.5" core can even be used with no problem because you're not running high boost anyway. Any quality BOV is good to go. However, there're several types out there. Soft sound or loud sound is your decision.

I'm not familiar with the 2UZFE. Is it a Tundra V8 engine?

2UZFE is a 4.7L, iron block, 2bolt main Tundra or Landcruiser V8.

they have different heads to the 1UZFE as well, but are interchangeable.

Nissan GTR intercooler "upgrades" are generally a very good starting point if you have the room - check out ebay and the like.

Thanks for your answers fellas. Yes, it's a Tundra. Engine is stock save for the STS, etc.

Re: Intercooler. I will have to make up some kind of scoop I think to mount this under the truck. That or rework the tubing to allow it in front.

How far away should it be from the intake, just before it if possible?

Where does the BOV go? I don't have one now and I am an automatic tranny so I was told it's optional, I believe I would feel better having one though.

THanks again for the advice.

...How far away should it be from the intake, just before it if possible?

Where does the BOV go? I don't have one now and I am an automatic tranny so I was told it's optional, I believe I would feel better having one though.

THanks again for the advice.
The intercooler can be placed inside of the front bumper or even right in front of the passenger wheel if it's small. The Subaru STI also has it right above the engine, under the hood.

You should get a BOV no matter if you have an auto or manual tranny. It's optional but without it, the backing up air when the throttle is closed will kill the housing seals. I'm not so sure about this, but I always installed it on my previous turbo systems. It's really worth of an investment. Also, I've noticed in reality that without a BOV, the engine responses slower to the boost. Explanation? There're quite a few.

Hey screename....if you go to lextreme.com/tundra.html (or go to this site's home page and scroll all the way to the v8 fi registry and go down to Wayne Ryther and hit the link) you will see my 3 inch intercooler install. BOV should go in where you have room between the intercooler and the throttle body. If you are coming in from the passenger side as STS has it, you will need to do some creative plumbing if you are going to use an intercooler. You will note that I come in from the driver side and run the inlet from the turbo down the fender well and into the interooler, back through the radiator support and into the throttle body from the drivers side.

Wayne

Hey Wayne,

I have checked out your truck before; Very nice. How much of a difference does the intercooler and BOV make?

I am already blown away by this whole thing, can't keep from grinning every time I drive it....man does it move.I have it in me to follow in your footsteps, just may be awhile yet.

I figure I got some time as the motor I have is fairly stong and I need to buy a new work truck first, then this can be the play truck.How is your truck running? all done at this point? Etc. Etc....

Brad

Don't know a bunch right now as I just put the motor in a couple of weeks ago and am still in the break-in mode. Breaking it in with the stock intake, injectors etc. Once ready for prime time I will put the supercharger back on and tune it for that....add the turbo and tune it for both....add the nitrous and work on the afr....after that I can let you know how it works. Truck runs very well, although not much bottom end umph with the compression ratio at 8.6:1 but I expect good things to happen after I get the boost going....:eek:)

Wayne

I got the BOV installed a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if it made any differance in performance but I feel better having it on the system. I seem to have everything working well. I had an AFR installed at the same time and again it's nice insurance.

I feel like it still needs some tuning though, maybe the dyno and reprogram (dial-in) the Uni-Chip next?

I had the parts installed at a place by the name of Advanced Performance in Cypress. Very nice guys there; they spent nearly 2 full days on my truck and didn't take me to the cleaners for it. If your in LA and need performance stuff done I would recomend them without hesitation.

Maybe I'm getting all the performance I am going to get but it feels like it could pull better in the higher gears and it doesn't. Off the line is great, but get near 55-65 mph and it boosts but doesn't pull. Don't get me wrong here, the differance over stock is substantial at these speeds. With the way it pulls so well at lower speed, it simply feels like it would pull better in this range as well. I will figure it out.

My advice to anyone with a Tundra is get this kit, it's well worth it. I know STS doesn't advertise it on their site, but if you contact them they will put one together for you. Excellent support from those folks as well.

Happy Boosting everyone.

I believe they had better prospects in the Tacos. More of them and my personal guess that the Tundra's may have been difficult to tune for some. I had some reservations about the install. I actually had the kit for a year before I used it and the tuning continues.

Overall I am quite happy with the performance of the system. Bang for the buck the best performance upgrade for these trucks.

Rick Suqires would probably have the exact answer, but when I asked him if my buddy with a Tundra could get one he said they would accommodate him.

On a side note I like the whole turbo thing so much that I picked up a Legacy Wagon GT 2.5 Turbo for my fiancé. That's one fun Subaru....lol.

I will take a guess here and say that STS probably stopped advertising the Tundra system for a couple of reasons....1. the same reason TRD quit making the S/C for the 4.7...too much chance for liability issues...we know the 2uz isn't up to the task of very much boost and if you are only going to go 4 or 5 lbs, why spend the money? and 2. Screename is correct....LOTS of stuff going on with the 3.4 Tacoma to include TRD S/C's and piggyback computers from URD that work very well. I guess there is a 3. from what I can see on the Tundrasolutions board (I've belonged for 3 years), the folks there are more interested in lift kits, big tires and wheels, bed covers and such...not much interest in performance stuff that costs money and takes some tuning savvy. Don't get me wrong, that is not everybody, but it seems the preponderance are more attuned towards accessorizing rather than all out performance, so maybe the market isn't there. Like Screename, I had my STS kit about a year before I applied it and I got it while STS was still advertising the Tundra kit.

Wayne

How's your Tundra Wayne?

I was browsing some of your threads and I noticed the situation where your mixture was too rich. I am dealing with that situation myself; under boost dropping to 10-11. the rest of the time runs at 14.7-.8. I have the Vortec FMU that came with the kit and currently using the 8:1 disks. I will try the 6:1 next but not sure that's going to fix it.

In higher gear at say 55-65 boost comes on the the truck starts to hesitate badly. Letting off the gas slightly seems to spur it a bit but not pulling at all.

I am seriously new to this so I really appreciate any advice.

How does that Spit-Second device work? The short explanation of course.

Thanks.

I agree with David, although I didn't get an FMU with my kit, I am using my stock fuel pressure regulator and ran the hose to the boost side of my supercharger...idles at 36 psi and seems to see about a 1.1 rise as I go into boost. I see about 52 psi under full boost in 4th gear. I may go with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator at some point.

The split second stuff works well...I am still learning how to play with it. you can (and should) retard timing under boost but you can't advance timing. You can adjust the fuel trim up or down. I'm still playing...

I'm also working on a way to put a signal clamp on the speed limiter but haven't gotten very far yet. Too many things to do. I am creeping up on the tune, but am still running rich in some areas. I just haven't devoted the time it takes to tune it right yet.

Wayne

Rick sold me a uni-chip when I first installed, as I was trying for a canned setup that I wouldn't have to play with too much. Someone should have slapped me at that point; an aftermarket turbo I wouldn't have to fool with too much?...lol

Oh well, I love the boost and I would'nt go back to stock for anything.

I am still running very rich under boost; been misfiring injectors from time to time and I got a MAF code the other day.

The shop that put my BOV in is researching other options for FMU.

Brad

Is Rick a distributor for Unichip? The reason I ask is that the Unichip needs to be programmed for your application and if he is not a distributor/dealer, he couldn't have done it. If he also sold you the FMU, then I'm hoping he would have programmed the tune for a rising rate fuel pressure. It is probably worth asking him those questions. If the Unichip isn't programmed for the rise in fuel pressure, another FMU isn't going to help much, I don't think. I have a brand new Unichip I had Josh Murray at Unichip NorthAmerica tune for a high-flow intake, headers and high-flow exhaust, 9 lbs of boost and the 'B' program has been changed to an on/off type switch that takes out timing for nitrous injection. I never installed it because I blew up the engine before I could and went a different way when I put it back together.

Wayne

He's a dealer for them. His brother has a Tundra that's set up the same way so he used that map. I think it's the FMU for sure. My AF is getting pinned to 10 on any kind of boost, that explaines the hesitation I'm getting in higher gears. It's flooding out. At least that's what I'm believing currently. Seems to go along with misfired injectors.

There's a shop in San Fran that's got a dyno and are uni-chip dealers. When I get everything close, I'll drop the dough to go get some fine tuning; and if things don't come round maybe I'll see them sooner.