RTA Emission testing

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

V8Celica

I found out today that I have to get an RTA emission check done on my car so I can get it engineered.
How hard are these to pass.
Are there any tricks to do to make the car pass?

As long as the engine is healthy (not burning oil), all the EFi gear is on it and you use the factory ECu you'll cruise through. If possible use the factory air filet assembly with a clean filter.

You can pass the test with aftermarket management but it has to be tuned correctly.

The test is a 4 minute drive on a low power dyno. You follow computer prompts such as speed up to Xspeed then slow down. The test is standardized around the world and relates to a suburban drive in LA form the early 70's.

I have a problem then the standard computers gone and my kalmaker stuff is only tuned enough for it to run I was going to do the rest on the road.
The engine itself seem health enough even compression uses no oil.
Its twin turboed and running 2 commodore air boxes so that bit should be ok

If you go to the RTA Website and check out "Guideline for light vehicle modifications" ( www.rta.nsw.gov.au/dvpr/s.ss.htm ) on page 4 it states:

"1972 and later model vehicles with substitute engines must meet the intent of the later of the Australian Design Rules applicable to either:
a) the original vehicle; or
b) the substitute engine

to ensure continued compliance with emissions, any replacement engine should come from a vehicle which is subject to the same or stringent control requirements"

it goes further to say vehicles built before ADR noise and emissions standards still must meet certain criteria (they don't specify them) but they do say talk to your engineer.

Form my reading if the engine is a 1991 model it must meet the 1991 emissions standard.

1UZ runs pretty clean to start with so the Kalmaker should get there.

Worst you do is go for the test. If you fail lean it off a bit more.

I've spoken with a gent who certifies 1UZ powered Cobra's and he uses aftermarket ECU's and turbo's and he said lean them out and they'll pass.

I can also give you an engineers name who will be sensible (not stupid) about the intent. I figure as long as you can show him it's still running all it's pollution gear and that you will be tuning it when it's approved he should pass it. PM me if you need a name and number.

As for the 4x2 barrels. I'm not too sure of the answer.

Leaning it out does help to a point but go past stoich and watch the NOx value go through the roof (hence why lean cruise is no longer used with regular cat convertors), another way is to pull out some spark advance, if u have an adjustable dizzy twist it till she just starts or if u are using one of dicks magic box's change the reference angle in software (starting will still be at 10deg but running spark advance will be off by the amount you change the ref angle). Also make sure the ECU goes into closed loop. I wish you luck!

Attachments

• Resize of 100_1513.JPG
    Resize of 100_1513.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Resize of 100_1517.JPG
    Resize of 100_1517.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Resize of 100_1515.JPG
    Resize of 100_1515.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Resize of 100_1516.JPG
    Resize of 100_1516.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 15
Failing the test just means you have to go away and fix it before returning for a re-test.

There are two testing sites. One at Botany and one at Penrith.

Guts,

You should be able to borrow one.

You could use mine but I've modified the outlet to fit my intake pipe. If you used my AFM and filter housing you could get it sorted.

Hopefully by the time you get your vehicle sorted I'll have mine in bits fitting my new engine.

One point how would the engineer know the difference between a Lux or Crown one. They aren't that smart!

Zuffen said:
Failing the test just means you have to go away and fix it before returning for a re-test.

There are two testing sites. One at Botany and one at Penrith.

Out of interest do you know what the cost of emission testing is over on the east coast?? Is it a one chance thing, like, pay your fee, fail and have to pay the full amount again next time??