Please Help!!! Oil leak after spark plug install

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Calikev

I installed new plugs and wires on my 93 LS400 and I think I overtorqued the plugs in. I now have an oil leak that I did not have before.

The car drives great and accelerates well---it is idling well and not misfiring or smoking---Everything seems fine other than the big spot of oil that is under it daily. It is leaking quite a bit, not just a drop or two.

I do not think I stripped the threads. I took the plugs out and looked at them and they have no oil on top and the tubes are still clean and not filled with oil. I re-installed them and did not torque them as far down this time, but the oil still leaks. I used a new torque wrench and set it to 13ft lbs. It never clicked but I probably gave the plug a full turn after hand tight

over tightening the spark plugs wont affect oil in any way. Try to find the highest outside point on the engine where you can clearly see oil and then post what you find. If you know your not burning oil, then its safe to say its a leaky gasket at fault.

Thanks! Obviously you can tell I am a newb to doing mechanical repairs to my car...I thought there may be a gasket at the bottom of the spark plug tube that crushed from overtightening---I can't understand why I had no leak before and now it's a "BIG" leak leaving a fist-sized puddle daily. All I did was change plugs and wires --- I will remove cover under the car and steam clean and then try to see where the leak is really coming from---The leak spot on the ground is just behind the front bumper where the drain plug should be when the cover is off...so maybe it's just a drain plug leaking from better compression??? Thanks for responding!

No worries. This forum has members with all types skill levels.

If your drain plug is leaking, the nut will be dripping so it should be pretty obvious. Since you said your seeing oil under the front bumper, it sounds like a leaky front main seal. The seal itself is cheap ($20 or something) but getting to it and replacing it is a PITA. I would reccomend a front end overhaul while your in there. Timing belt, water pump and timing pullies if you have not already had this done recently. Easy way to verify this is to check and see if the crankshaft pulley (the biggest pulley at the bottom) has oil underneath it or around it.

I just bought the car about 2 mos ago---the original owner gave me docs from Longo Lexus showing $1155 paid in October 2010 replacing the timing belt, waterpump and pulley and it states 3 o rings were replaced too---The car had a "small" leak when I got it that is now a really big leak. I'm gonna clean under there real good and try to locate the source--I hope it's not the work they did leaking already. I'm sure they will try to not honor any warranty because I'm not the one that paid for the work

BTW...Anyone know a reputable and reasonable tech in the LA area that would be willing to get paid for doing repair work while allowing me to shadow him and learn some things----

I have all the tools to do whatever would need to be done. I don't want to pay for anymore repairs and not get the benefit of learning more about my car and how to repair it myself

Me hehe. I do a lot of work for David, AKA Mr lextreme. Problem is, I wont be back in CA until July. If it is a front main seal, then its going to be labor intensive so try and find a shop with a competitive labor rate. I always cringe when I hear about all that work being done yet a simple $20 front seal was not at the same time. Try and see if the front main seal was done as well, and try to find out if its covered by a warranty (since it was done @ the dealer).

Thanks! If you PM me your info I will store it in my phone for future jobs---I'm sure there will be many---I have a couple other cars that need a lil' TLC too

OK...so I cleaned the bottom of the car and got the bad news----------"spf Lexus" was right...below the bottom pulley !there is oil everywhere and I can see it leaking immediately after the cleanup Didn't see any oil pan, transmission pan leaks or power steering leaks---everything else looked really good---the car had the timing belt, water pump and pulleys replaced 9/21/10 to the insane price $1135 and the part#'s on the receipt are...

13568-59045 Belt, Timing
16100-50023-83 Pump Assy, Water
00272-1LLAC-01 Antifreeze Gallon
96761-24019 Ring, O
96761-35035 Ring, O
96711-19007 Ring, O
13503-0F010 Idler Sub Assy, Timing
13505-50022 Idler Sub-Assy, Timing
13540-50030 Tensioner Assy, Timing

It is also noted on the checklist that the vehicle has an oil leak---there is no mention of suggesting the main seal being replaced---

My first question...Does anyone think I have ANY chance at all in talking to the dealership that did the work and letting them know that they should have replaced the seal? They are the #1 Lexus dealer in the country and should have done a better job---the car has only 4k miles more on it since the work was done and it's only been 5 months

Second and last question...anyone in the LA area and want to let me pay them a reasonable price to do the work and let me help so I get some knowledge of this car and mechanic work in general---I will bring all the parts and can even supply all the tools to do the work---minus the lift---and can pay some but don't have too much right now and really need to get this fixed ASAP---the is my daily driver

Thanks in advance guys!

Kevin

WOW!!!----my jaw has permanently dropped!!! I just got off the phone with the Service Manager at the dealer---I didn't have to say a single word...he said he agreed that they should have had better recommendations at the time the timing belt and water pump were done and that they would do the cam and crank seals for what it would have cost to do them at the time the TB and WP were done...$300 total. He then gave me a full laundry list of any and everything they found that the car needed to be in "like-new" condition. Clearly they went over my car with a really fine toothed comb to make sure they wouldn't be in this spot again. I will be going to get it Wed/Thurs. THERE IS A REASON WHY THE #1 DEALER IS #1 I never even mentioned that my wife and I bought several cars there and that we purchased a 2011 Prius there just 3 weeks ago. I had all these "aces in the hole" and never had to use them or talk to a mgr or write a letter or any of that stuff I was prepared to do to "right" this situation in my mind. Felt weird agreeing with a car dealership. Thanks to everyone here for making me seem smarter than I am when talking to them about my car. I think that was the major difference... !!!Thanks again Lextreme!!! I would mention the dealer, but I don't know if that's OK to do? Either way they are #1 Lexus and Toyota and they proved why to me.

Last edited:
Really glad they came through. Lexus established itself through stellar/speedy customer service from day 1 and this is why they have such a solid hold in the luxury market. Thats great news.

Gotta say it shocked me! --- I've owned alot of cars and had many experiences with car dealerships...some good, some bad; but none on this level... regarding integrity anyways.

The letter I intended to write to complain is now a letter to praise. I intend to write it and send it as quickly as I would a complaint letter.