Nitrogen for your tires?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

I am reading that if you fill your tires up with nitrogen the ride quality and smoothness really increases by like 50%....They are doing this in Canada alot...Has anyone heard of this proceedure?...Nitrogen inflation instead of straight air in all four tires.....

Supposedly there are other benifets as well....

I am reading that if you fill your tires up with nitrogen the ride quality and smoothness really increases by like 50%....They are doing this in Canada alot...Has anyone heard of this proceedure?...Nitrogen inflation instead of straight air in all four tires.....

Supposedly there are other benifets as well....

Actually racers use it to keep a more stable temperature... IIRC

It is used in racing aplications because it does not expand to the extent oxygen does when it heats up.

The nitrogen keeps a more stable pressure not temp.

It is put in street cars as a wank wank factor, it really does nothing for a daily driver

Nitrogen is used in street tyre because the molecules are larger than air molecues (which will be a cocktail of gases) which means the nitrogen doesn't permeate the rubber in the tyre as quickly.

This means you don't need to check your tyres as often.

We have nitrogen in one of of our cars tyres and they look fine after 12 months whereas we used to inflate them every 3-4 months.

The red valve caps are a bit wankey.

Just to remind everyone, the air we breathe is 80% nitrogen, 28% oxygen and 2% other stuff...

The nitrogen used in tires is basically dry (no moisture), which is the reason for the more constant pressures noted earlier. This leads to LESS pressure variance with temperature than standard air.

lol steveo 80+28+2=110, i know they say to give 110% but i just thought id point out the error, which figure needs changing. Not knocking you at all.

Jase

So what's the point then? Use nitrogen so you don't have to check the tire presure as often?....Sounds useless and lazy to me....I thought there might be some miracle tire feel transformation or something...

Definetely wanky sounding to me...

Jibby,

You calling me lazy and wankey.

OK I'll accept it.

I'm also short and overweight so it save bending to check the tyre pressures!

Attachments

• Idle Pully.jpg
    Idle Pully.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 1
Anach,

Youre right, I didn't do my maths...
The sea level values are 78% Nirtogen, 21% Oxygen, and the rest is basically trace levels (Chemistry books do more than hold down the shelves...)