New MKIII swap mount design

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Chris,

After talking to some of the very knowledgeable chaps in the MKIII community in Australia it appears the difference is pretty minor for the pre 89 and 89+ subframe.

From what I can understand only the mounts are different (round vs square - and slight angle / height) and the crossmember is slightly different.

For me the easiest option will be to just grab a cross member and mounts from an 89+ supra and grab a set of yours.

Easier than retooling at your end (I think anyway).

Cheers.

Btw: link to the supra forums thread is here:
http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=695878

Yeah, I know that differance's are minor, just not suree how minor. I do know that the late subframes have the mount pad at 30deg's., where as the early are at 45deg's. The part that I am not sure of is if there is a differance in height and center to center dimension's between the two.

If finding and swaping to the late subframe is easy for you, then that is deffinitly an option for you. Either way, I am working at try to come up with a mount setup for the early subframes cause there is enough of a demand for them. Its just hard when all I really have easy access to is the late subframe.

just want to get 100% on this before I buy something or source i. I can use the upper part of the uz motor mount and the lower part of the 89+ supra's in which I would have to change out my crossmember or modify it to accept the 89+ mounts right? or if you decide to make a adapter for a uz to pre 89 supra's.

No, if you wanted to use the upper cast aluminum mount stand from one of the lexus chassis's, you would have to cut the mount pad off of the subframe and fab up something and weld it on along with deciding what actual mount (rubber part) that you want to use. There is no easy way of doing to mount setup when swapping a UZ into the MKIII chassis.

In this case it may. We have to run adapter plates to get the manuals to mount with the 1UZ. Since I am running the R154 with mine, I have to get the 1JZ bell housing which is 171mm* (190mm* for MkIII bell housing) plus the thickness of the adapter plate I am using which I need to go measure. The transmission will be bolted to its original mounts so shifter position does not change, and the driveshaft will not need to be changed.

*the only measurements I have found on the net so not sure on accuracy

If you want to to retain the stock trans mount and keep the shifter in the stock location, then you are going to need to make sure that the distance from the bellhousing to block mounting face has to be the same dimension as the stock supra trans setup. The reason for this is that there is pretty much no room to move the motor forward or backwards. Sorry, its just not an option. If you try to move it forward, the oil sump hits the subframe and if you try to go backward, you hit the firewall. That why in the PM between me and you, I told you that you really should make sure that your assembly is going to come out at the same dimension as the stock supra 7M assembly. If it is not, then shifter and mount location are going to have to change or you will need a different trans adapter.

In this case it may. We have to run adapter plates to get the manuals to mount with the 1UZ. Since I am running the R154 with mine, I have to get the 1JZ bell housing which is 171mm* (190mm* for MkIII bell housing) plus the thickness of the adapter plate I am using which I need to go measure. The transmission will be bolted to its original mounts so shifter position does not change, and the driveshaft will not need to be changed.

*the only measurements I have found on the net so not sure on accuracy

Oh BTW, if those dimensions are actually correct, then hopefully Eric's adapter is right at 19mm thick overall and everything should work just fine.

Oh BTW, if those dimensions are actually correct, then hopefully Eric's adapter is right at 19mm thick overall and everything should work just fine.

Definitely headed out to the garage soon (after the current snow storms pass through) and taking a measurement of the adapter. Redrocco has the same setup in his 86.5 Supra if I recall correctly and did not have to move the transmission.

No, if you wanted to use the upper cast aluminum mount stand from one of the lexus chassis's, you would have to cut the mount pad off of the subframe and fab up something and weld it on along with deciding what actual mount (rubber part) that you want to use. There is no easy way of doing to mount setup when swapping a UZ into the MKIII chassis.

ok thanks for the info. My project isn't going to be underway until My friend gets the engine and tranny out of the supra he's giving me and a guy I know has a wrecked sc400 I am getting from him and everything from it is going into the '87 supra. So if you have some ready within about a month and a half I WILL buy them from you. Cause Yours would be a bolt up deal right? I will pay what ever you ask for it when it's ready. lol within reason. Thanks

Chris was over at my place the other day, and was telling me about some neat new motor mount design that would help out both early and late mk3 1uz swappers and also 1jz and 7m supra people, i guess this would be good for the cressida guys as well. basicly good stuff is comming, good enough that these latest mounts might accually be scraped already.

Ill let chris chime in when hes ready and has all the details, just figured i would leak the good news. i already told him im in for a set. btw i have his very first design currently

Attachments

• Picture 089.JPG
    Picture 089.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 245
Alright, Time for an update.....

The new designed has officially been trashed............

After compairing the original and new design the added clearance is not need as much as I originally thought for one and with both difficulty of welding of the new design plus the new Idea that Jake sort of mentioned in his last post, I have dropped the new design and gone back to the original design.....

Now for the new idea... I am working on a direct replacment for the stock supra rubber section. This has the same small clearance bennifit that would have been gained with the new design and would be far easier to produce. It would also be bennificial to anyone using the stock rubber (be it a JZ swap, stock 7M, ect.....) as it is stronger then the original rubber and would also be a cheaper alternitive to the OEM units....

Feel free to ask question if you have any.....

hey boys im pretty keen on getting a set of these mounts just need to know if they will work in rhd really and if the stock headers fit with these
cheers sam

the set of mounts I have that chris made would work fine on a RHD car, and the stock headers fit just fine. the possable problem is aftermarket headers get very close to the rubber part of the mount, chris was working out ways of eleminating it to make more room.

http://www.jakebreyck.com/Projects/Supra/IMG_0376.JPG
Here is my left side mount, as you can see it easly clears header, and the rack isnt even close enough to question...

so slipway, your a mz20 soarer dude? mind if i ask you a few questions over pm?

Jake do you have any bird's eye view shots of the engine bay? How close is the motor to the firewall? And any front view shots showing how high the motor sits?

I'm going to be doing my own mounts because I'll probably design to cut stuff or redesign the cross member or something. But it would be nice to see how other's motors are sitting.

Tim

Jake do you have any bird's eye view shots of the engine bay? How close is the motor to the firewall? And any front view shots showing how high the motor sits?

I'm going to be doing my own mounts because I'll probably design to cut stuff or redesign the cross member or something. But it would be nice to see how other's motors are sitting.

Tim

http://v8supra.com has some decent engine bay pics for what you are looking for if I remember correctly. It was either on this page, or another similar one that I also read they determined how high the engine would sit by resting it on a 20mm thick piece of wood which was resting on the subframe. Once they squared it up, they tacked up some engine mounts.

Also, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7CVDvJ-Vyw for a video shot of a completed, idling installation in the States.

I dont have any pics that depict it well, but the motor sits very close to the firewall, about 1/4 inch away at its closest point, and about 1/8 inch off the cross member.

here are all my pics related to my supra enjoy. http://www.jakebreyck.com/Projects/Supra/

I dont have any pics that depict it well, but the motor sits very close to the firewall, about 1/4 inch away at its closest point, and about 1/8 inch off the cross member.

here are all my pics related to my supra enjoy. http://www.jakebreyck.com/Projects/Supra/

Jake, were you able to put the whole engine and transmission in as one unit without altering or dropping the subframe or did you have to drop the engine in, then bolt on the transmission?