New index must start with Toyota's boats:

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

doctors orders

low down grunt for small cubes

gr8dna said:
Most of this posted earlier in the 1UZ list:

The Toyota Epics were made in Florida between '99 and '01 and were powered by the VT300i, a marinized version of the 1UZFE. It's got VVT, 10.5/1 compression and without the smog stuff, it's supposed to be over 300HP. A cool datasheet about the engine can be seen at: http://www.epicmarine.com/images/300i%20Specs1.jpg and other great info about the boats and their engines at www.epicmarine.com

The engine's a marvel, but is much better suited to the higher speeds of slalom skiing and general runabout stuff than the way we like to run them for wakeboarding. We'll load them up with water ballast and run at like 20-24 mph; in other words, the boat's heavy and just barely on plane. Most of the day, we'll spend bouncing between idle and 3000rpm, and the engine's got a 6000rpm redline. Fuel burn is significantly better than any conventional towboat - on the order of half the gallons per hour of conventional towboats.

Since the Epics are so well built (read heavy), we're at a power disadvantage to the conventional towboats powered by GM and Ford 5.7L engines. We can't help but think we need more torque, but it doesn't seem like a normally-aspirated 4.0L is gonna get much higher than 300ft/lbs. Much more throttle-action is required to keep the boat at a steady speed, and the commercial cruise control units (don't laugh, they really make for a good tow) have a tough time driving the Toyotas.

Enter Lextreme....for one, you guys may be able to help us get through the pains ten years from now when Toyota's washed their hands of us. As for now, you may have some alternatives for making this 1UZ variant a little hotter down low.

There may eventually be a need by us Epic owners for a third-party exhaust manifold, and of course the marinized starter and tuning info for the ECU.

As for forced induction....this is the place for that, but most of us are a little shy about modifying an out-of-production, modified and quite pricey marinized Lexus motor. Also, more power in our boats is really just a 'would be nice to have' thing, as they do pretty damn well stock. Hopefully though, someone will come along that's got the desire and funds to soup up their Epic. As for me, I'll have to wait for the Lotto to pay.
I know this may be obvious but have you tried changing your prop. If you only wakeboard try a small prop say a 12/13 or 12/12 3 blade. My sed to redline at 6500rpm at 40 mph. just a thought.

Yes, some of the guys have switched props to the newer CNC-milled ACME with a shorter pitch with really good results. As it turns out, some of the boats came over-propped from the factory - I'm leaving a couple hundred RPM on the table, and they set the rev limiters to 6K, which you know is conservative for this engine. It's been a while since visiting this site, but I wanted jordy and matthewf to know I finally posted pictures of the Epic's engine in this thread: http://www.cyclone-cj.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=159

Hope all is well with you guys!

There are some mild port modifications that will help on the bottom end(better response), and everywhere really.
These require you to remove the intake manifold, and will likely also to either increase the fuel pressure slightly, or tune the ECU.
Let me know if you're interested.