Narrowing Lexus / Crown front end ???

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

kpwemu

Does anyone know if it is possible to safely and legally narrow the front end of a donor Lexus / Crown half cut to fit another car. I am wanting to fit a 1UZ into my Zephyr ute. Based on what I've seen on this forum regarding dimensions etc, this shouldn't be a problem. As the Zephyr is now 45 years old, that means that we are dealing with front end, suspension, steering and brake technology etc that is also 45 years old. When one considers the sophistication of the Lexus / Crown front end compared to the Zephyr, I was wondering if it was possible to use the whole front end gear, that is the crossmember, mounts, suspension, power steering, brakes etc on the Zephyr. The first and biggest problem is that the front track width on the Lexus / Crown is 9 centimetres wider that the width of the Zephyr. There I was wondering if the Lexus / Crown front end could be narrowed and grafted onto the Zephyr. It would be magnificent to upgrade the Zephyr to that level and would be sad to throw all that good stuff down the tip if it couldn't be narrowed. I have never actually seen what the front end consists of so I would appreciate any feedback on this dream.

find a steering rack narrower by the right amount and work from there, I wouldnt even consider the crown steering, its so big and heavy, plus mine only had 79k on it and all the steering joints were stuffed, balljoints were ok but, shame to waste that airbag style front end isnt it plus those brakes are huge, gunna look at adapting brakes to my hilux

kpwemu:

Once you start narrowing the width, the steering geometry goes out the window. What you need to do is to find a "modern" car with roughly the same front track, and see if you cant graft that onto the Zephyr chassis rails.

On a similar theme...

How is the suspension geometry affected by this sort of modification and is there any way of rejigging the setup into a workable solution? I realise roll centres, etc would move but doesn't this change occur even with simple mods like lowering the car...?

The reason I ask is the R32 Skyline rear subframe, including the suspension, diff and brakes is a simple fit into a VL Commodore. It is a far stronger and superior setup to the std 4 link and panhard rod arrangement and includes a LSD and twin spot brakes on large discs(larger than the std VL front discs).
I have been quoted $3,000 to $4,000 for a 9" LSD axle without brakes. The R32 GTS-T rear end is $1,000 complete plus a set of coil overs and fitting...

My only worry is will the Commo front end geometry be compatable with the R32 rear and, if not, can I modify either to suit.

Is there a suspension expert in the house......????

Cool. Thanks for the info. Was a bit too technical to wade through but found all the info I needed froms the links page...
Very interesting forum to read and will go back to it...

The R32 and the VL share the same track and wheelbase measurements so it should be ok.
One of the engineers who worked on the Bathurst wining skylines put the entire running gear, including front & rear suspensions from a R32 GTR into a VL and from all accounts it was a rocket. I have the article but lost the website...

Here is another example of Kiwi ingenuity... http://www.gweeds.net/
Should be relatively easy to certify, even for the Aussies

kpwemu,
What is the track width of the Zephyr? From memory it is a Macpherson strut set up so there may be another setup of similar dimensions that may graft in.
Perhaps even the humble VL as all the bottom suspension arms, sway bar and steering rack all mount to a substantial crossmember, leaving only the strut tops to position????

Zephyr front track width

According to the manual, the front track width of the Zephyr is 134.5 cm (53 inches). From what I've been able to find out so far, most of the popular power steering conversion donor cars are wider eg, L300 = 144cm, VL Commodore = 145cm, most late model Toranas = 145cm etc. I'd be interested to hear of any power steering car that has a similar track width. Regards, kpwemu