mx5 conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

V8MX5

update

Right i have my car, its a 1989 white NZ new (im from NZ) MX5
Just purchased a new set or 17" mags and clear tailights,
also a set of lowered springs
bought a low K 1990 1uZ with standard uncut loom and computer,
also purchased a W58 supra gearbox
also got a 3SGTE flywheel and clutch from a GT4 celica,
will be attacking my little car next week

V8MX5,

What is your engine out of?

No doubt you know about the ECU problem the SC and LS400 have with the auto removed. You need a Crown loom and ECu to do what you want.

From my understanding it is only a matter of re-drilling the flywheel bolt pattern for you set-up to work. I'm not sure of the implecations on starter and ringear positions.

Should be a weapon when finished.

As Lexurious said "post pics"

yeah i know you guys want pics ! there comming soon, im not sure what my engine is out of , i was told a celsior, it has the sump in the middle and the oil filter located at the rear of the block. Any one know what its out of ? it has 1990 writen on the spark plug leads, I had the 3sge flywheel slotted and bolted it it up the the 1uz, also adapted the W58 box to the 1uz auto bellhousing with a 6mm adapter plate,

Go for it, it will be a peice of piss.

Use a W Series box, Link Management computer (NZ).

If you want someone to do it and you are based in Auckland NZ, contact 1UZQuadCam

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds more like a Crown engine to me.
What does the ECU look like? How many connectors and how many pins on each connector? The Crown Royal Saloon uses two ECUs, one for the engine and one for the auto. The Crown Majesta uses one ECU for both and is the same as the SC400 ECU.

V8MX5,

Sounds like you have Crown engine. This should have a separate ECU for the engine and an ECT for the trans.

Getting rid of the ECT is easier than beating NZ at Rugby.

All you need to do is use KDogs wiring diagrams and delete all interconecting wiring between the ECU and ECT then remove the wiring for the trans from the engine loom. Really it is that simple. You need 8 wires from the ECT and a few sensor wires (tacho, oli, water, air etc) and you are home. The ECU will end up using the 3 larger plugs. You can remove the small 8 pin plug.

Geting the engine to run without the auto is easier than getting it to run wih the auto.

I think we all need to sit down and write a "how to" for wiring on engine swaps as we all seem to go and re-invent the wheel each time we do one of these.

You don't need Aftermarket management (unless you want to spend the money of course) as you will finish up with a car that will weigh around 11/1200kg and have close to 300hp. That's not a bad power weight ratio.

yes i think it must be a crown engine, my mate fired it up on the floor yesturday ! ran a fuel line from his car to the engine on the floor, looks as tho he got it running on about 4 or 5 wires ? i will get pictures and more details then post them up, sounded awsum with just open headers !

i couldnt get hold of a digi camera so had to take all my pics with a normal one, will have them developed soon, then host them for everyone to see, car is now nearly finished, should be drivable with in a week. what started out as a simple project has turned into a big hassel, nothing seemed to go as planned ! still its been worth it and engine fits snuggly into the MX5 engine bay,

well its alive ! havent driven it yet tho, just have to finish off the radiator hoses tomoro, but it started straight away ! sounds mean with open headers ! i have a heap of pics, but since i dnt know much about computers a mate is scanning them and hosting them, pics soon !!!!

Here is a few pics of the (nearly finishd) car that are on my mates website, the mx5 is now drivable just have to finish off the exhaust and fit the custom made radiator that i should have back by next week, i have a heap of pics still to be uploaded on the build up of this, hopefully i can get a quarter mile time with in the next couple of weeks depending on the shitty NZ weather !
for more pics go here>
http://www.jascoautomotive.com/Andrew's MX5.htm

man that is cool...

good work. i'll be keen to hear how she runs down the strip. my mum's got a stock 97 MX-5, in which the best i've done (using a G-meter on a quiet road, don't tell anyone!) is 15.3 at 153km/h...

reckon you'll dip into 13's? or not enough rubber on the back?

ok well for anyone thats interested and looks like there isnt, my car is now finished, its goes dam quick ! no traction in first (obviuosly) and in second wheels squeel a bit but its not bad, it does good donuts in 3rd and sounds awsum !

I'm impressed with how long it seemed for you to get the conversion done. How long all up did it take?

Hehe, maybe you need to tub the rear end to get some grip!!! Still, the car must be awesome to drive, so much fun.

trook me 6 weeks to do ! was hoping to do it in 3 max but sumtimes it doesnt go as planned, yes the car is alot of fun to drive, i just love the torque ! ive looked at tubbing it, looks very easy as the chassis rails are 400mm in from the outside of the car, could easy get sum 335-30-17" tyres in there,

wow... you managed that in an inspirationally short period of time!

well done! that car must be awesome... how are you going for registration? is it difficult in NZ to register such a beast? engineers certificate, or similar?