location of stock amp

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

tfb5701

i just had a JL audio 12 inch w6v2 installed in my 95 LS 400. When they wired in the amp, they disconnected the stock sub in the back and used that as the imput for the new amp. However, the new amps imput can barely handle that strong of an imput and when i turn it up loud, the distortion from the stock amp is compounded with the new amp and my sub sounds bad at volumes past 3/8 of full volume. i was wondering if anyone knew if the stock sub was powered by a seperate amp and if so where that was located. im going to try to have them rewire the preamp from that to my new amp since i already disconnected my stock sub and im not using it. if the stock sub is run off the headunit, where is the closest preamp line or regular speaker lines to wire the sub off of. i assume that the back door speakers would be the closest speakers to wire off of but i don't know. any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

When i put in my two 12's i took out the old sub and also took out the amp for that. I have an aftermarket headunit so i just ran the pre-outs from the headunit to my new amp. Not sure what your gonna do sense you have stock headunit but on my 91 LS400 the amp for the sub is in the trunk. If you take off the back panneling for your trunk, the panneling if your standing right at your trunk, youll be looking straight at it; right below the rear window. After you take this off you should see the gas tank, and the amp is located up and left to the gas tank. Two bolts to take this off and a wiring harness i believe.... its been a while. I hope this is the same setup as your later model LS.

You talk about distortion at high volumes... if you bypass the amp for the stock sub you might get rid of the distortion but im not 100% sure, its worth a shot tho. Its just that the stock headunit wont be as clear at loud volumes as an aftermarket one.

But good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

thanks for the help. does anyone have the wiring diagrams for the harness that connects the stock amp? i need to be able to figure out which wire(s) is/are the imputs.

thanks for all of your help, i printed off the information and gave it to the installer today to have them rewire the imputs. i hope it works.