Lexus LS400 airbag: How do you know if it's there?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jluke

Hi -

I am hoping to buy a 1991 Lexus LS400 and the seller told me about (and carfax lists) a "minor to moderate" accident in 2000. The seller had the car repaired (repairs cost $8,000) and he says it has run fine for the past seven years.

I have three questions:

1.) Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a used car if it's been in an accident - if it's been driven since then w/o any problems? Also, I don't know if I should pay an auto body shop to check the frame.

2.) Is there any way to know if the airbag is still installed and will work in the event of an accident? I have no idea if it was deployed in the accident in 2000. So it may be the original airbag, there may be no airbag, or maybe they put another one in there as part of the repair. Is there any way that a mechanic could inspect the airbag to make sure it is there and will work?

3.) My only other question is this: during a recent service, the mechanic noticed engine vibration at 1800 rpm. I don't know if this is a symptom of something bad - do you have any thoughts about what might cause that?

Thanks so much for any advice,

Jeff

$8k is a minor accident these days...
Take it too an auto club inspection or though your insurance company tech they deal with this all the time with there repairs... Though you'll have to pay atleast subscription..... Maybe??
Most cars this age could have had an accident,check that repairs are done correctly...

Well for starters I must ask was the repairs done at the Lexus Dealership or some unknown body shop and can the seller provide you the paperwork to view what repairs were done?...

You can do a few things that may help - For starters look at where the airbag is suppose to be located and see if the material cover is ripped around it...See if there were repairs made around the airbag...If it looks like new it probably never deployed...Push down where the airbag is suppose to be and see if the airbag space is full or depresses as you push down (EMPTY)....Even that will not insure that the sensor is connected properly.. Also turn the ignition key to the "on" position and see if the airbag light comes on the instrument cluster..It's a red light that says "airbag", if it does light up the airbag is probably ok...If no airbag light appears that means the bulb was pulled and there is no airbag intact..

Also, find out where it was hit... Rearend coliisions are usually the best place to take a hit for repairs and the front and side collisions are the worst that could cause possible and permanent engine or frame damage problems.....

Vibration could be old motor or tranny mounts.. That is common... Good luck....