I finally bought the turbo T04

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

stevechumo

I've finally received the turbo today and I am very happy with its condition. I won it on Ebay for only $100. It's an AirResearch/Garrett T04 with .60 AR on the compressor side and .69 on the turbine side. Although it's stated "remanufactured", it looks like it's carefully rebuilt indeed. There's only slightly shaft play with no oil. So with the oil in it, there shouldn't be any shaft play at all. Also, there's no cracks at the turbine housing like many other used turbos. Therefore, I'd say it's in near perfect condition.

I couldn't find the compressor map for this turbo. However, I still plan to use it first for the goal of about 400 crank hp. And if it's not up to the task, I'll change out the larger turbine housing or the compressor housing, whichever is needed. Each new housing would cost around $120. That way, it's still cheaper than a brand new Garrett with my specific configuration.

Can anyone give any inputs?

Steve, is that a 2 3/4", 3", or 4" inlet on the compressor?

I have some maps for the T04B and T04E, but we need to figure out which one you have, its trims, etc. If you have any part numbers stamped on either of the housings, I may be able to cross them over.

It appears to have the older style "on center" housing with 4 bolt outlet flange on the turbine side?

Steve, is that a 2 3/4", 3", or 4" inlet on the compressor?

I have some maps for the T04B and T04E, but we need to figure out which one you have, its trims, etc. If you have any part numbers stamped on either of the housings, I may be able to cross them over.

It appears to have the older style "on center" housing with 4 bolt outlet flange on the turbine side?
There's no tag specifying the turbo model. It's properly lost during the rebuilding process. But as the seller stated, it's a T04B35. And it says T04 on the compressor side. The compressor inlet is 3" with the .60 AR and turbine outlet is 2.89" with the .69 AR.

Deep inside, I'm still a little worried it won't provide enough flow for 500 hp. Although I aim for around 400 crank hp, which might be around 350 rwhp, I always want to be on the safe side without any boost spike or boost surge.

I prefer the older style with the 4 bolt outlet on the turbine side because that's what I'm used to. The clamp style (I never used) would be easier to fit the piping, but I think the bolt style would be more rigid. I may be wrong because David has been running his GT42 successfully with the clamp style for years.

I do appreciate for all of your inputs.

Steve, here are the T04 B & E maps that I have; according to the Turbonetics & Garrett info, with that 3" inlet, it seems like you would have a T04E, not a T04B? Also, here is a link to my good friend Jeff Lucius' webpage on sizing turbos, and understanding compressor flows. Jeff always does a great, in depth job of explaining things: http://www.stealth316.com/2-3s-compflowmaps.htm

Cribbj,
Many thanks for your maps. I've also done some researches and found similar results like yours that seemed to state my turbo is a biggest T04E (.60 AR with 3"), which I hope not. I'm still unclear on this one. Even if mine is a biggest T04E, it's still not efficient enough for the 1UZFE at 40 lb of air flow. However, I'm still suspecting it's not a T04E because the turbine outlet is bigger than an average T04E. I couldn't find any info. on the T04E or T04B turbine sizes. Well, I'll try to open it up this weekend and measure the majors and minors of both sides and see.