HELP Steer me away from a Chevy LSx

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
yeah justen you should, if i could get a good ls1 with box etc for good money i would buy one and fit it to an rx8 !

Its pretty expensive but i give lsx is a better option once all the fabbing is done but I stay faithful to Toyota won't change it for anything less then a 20b.

My LS3 (317FWKW, stock) owes me $3,500.00 Aussie complete with 6 speed auto, harness and ECU.

My 1UZ with around the same power owes me well over $40,000.00!

If I had my time over I would have gone an LS1 (they hadn't released the 2 or 3 when I started my swap) and I'd be way ahead on the $'s front.

All that said I still like the complexity of the UZ but you also need to accept the UZ gives less power per Cubic Inch than the LS3.

Dunno about less power per cubic inch Rod? but definitely less power overall and def easier to make more power from an LSx ;)

I'm making over 100rwkw/litre on a stock engine. Can't say i've seen a stock LSx do that?

Been to a few dyno comps.. The Chevy seems to make 380 / 400 rwkw with ease but there higher compression limits boost..Better tune maybe ??
PLENTY have made more but they are built engines.. Know a guy who is crazzy on building burnout cars etc .. When pushed the Chevy sleeves pull out of there bores..I'm sure there's a fix to this issue though..
He uses the Dart iron block now...
These guys push there engine till they stop.. NO mechanical sympathy !!!!
A mate of mine verually lives off his rebuilds...

This is what I mean..
This was last weekends house warming...
These guys know how to enjoy themselves...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoKg0G9pqZ8

Last edited:
the good thing about the 1uz is if it goes bang, its not thousands to pick up a replacement, its only a couple of hundred ;)

Justen a stock 1UZ makes less power per cubic inch/CC than a stock LS3.

I would think getting a reliable 650FWHP from an LSx would be easier and heaps cheaper than doing that with a/any UZ.

Justen a stock 1UZ makes less power per cubic inch/CC than a stock LS3.

I would think getting a reliable 650FWHP from an LSx would be easier and heaps cheaper than doing that with a/any UZ.

Not a fair comparo there Rod and not really my point. But you are right on absolute power, an LSx will win every time. Very hard to argue with cubic inches.

As i said earlier, if i did mine again from the start i would have used a LSx for sure.....at the cost of a few mates perhaps ;)

But it is still a Chevy, no matter how you slice it, "Not that there's anything wrong with that...;)".

I would do it all again, with a UZ as long as the car is a Lexus. If the car was a Vette, then building the LS is the way to go for me...

Ryan

Justen,

To put it into a different perspective I would pay around $1200 for a 1UZ halfcut and my entire Commodore owes me $3,500.00.

My car was a 2008 model and any half cu would be 1995 or earlier.

I think if you compare a stock 6.0 litre LS with 1UZ the specific output would still be higher.

I think we all forget that time has marched on and if I were honest I'd compare the LS3 to a UR but you would have the same problem with a UR as a UZ, little and expensive aftermarket support.

As I also said before I still love my UZ.

Depends or your perspective I guess? If just after an engine, I can have one delivered to my door tomoz for $600. And as I said, there's no internally stock LS I know of making 570rwkw or more.

I'd still have the lazy and more torque 400rwkw from the LS though....it just easier.

Begs the question with what to do with my two built VVTi UZs?

Depends or your perspective I guess? If just after an engine, I can have one delivered to my door tomoz for $600. And as I said, there's no internally stock LS I know of making 570rwkw or more.

I'd still have the lazy and more torque 400rwkw from the LS though....it just easier.

Begs the question with what to do with my two built VVTi UZs?

Justin, just to clarify... are you suggesting an internally stock 1uzfe has made a reliable 570rwkw??? (764rwhp :eek: )

...or... just reporting the highest internally stock LS based engine you are familiar with?

What again was your peak rwhp/rwkw on you stocker? I know you made 411rwkw / 551rwhp on your E85 @ 17psi.

Also, a stock VVTi 1uzfe makes more power/cubic inch than an LS3.
BUT... a stock LS3 is smaller externally (lighter?) and significantly more powerful than any stock xUZFE. And we didn't even mention the LS7, LSA or LS9 have we?

Back to the point, a first gen with Justen's mods (good turbo manifolding and proper air/fuel tuning) will probably be the way to go since the stock 1uzfe engines are SO CHEAP and compatible with the car already (swaps get expensive in their own right without even modifying output)

I've made 540rwhp (uncorrected 3500f) 580sea level corrected whp at 13psi on a 100% stock long block, at the time I hadn't even changed head gaskets (just put cometic's in to be safe)

Just fyi