HELP!!! '98 GS400 Gauges (&lights) dead

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jimbojones132

The gauges and their lights in my '98 GS400 stopped working. Checked fuses under dash (especially 10A GAUGE fuse) and under hood; all look good. Car runs and other lights work (even warning lights on dash when you first turn key ) but tach needle doesn't move nor does it or speedo gauge light up. Help....

Could it just be a connector to the cluster? Where's that located?
Email me back @ [email protected] cuz I can't drive until it gets fixed.

Doesn't anyopne know the answer to this?

I thought this was the definitive place for answer re: Lexus stuff...any have this problem on a 98+ GS?

i have had afew calls about this problem
but no one wants me to look at it due to i wil not give them a quote

but it seems to be a prob on afew soarers with electroninic dashes

i think best bet is check power to back of dash
or easiest would be replace dash

they look like a pain in the butt to change or even test

hmm.....

Well, that reply was somewhat better than what I got from the local Lexus dealer; they said it could be the alternator (?) Doesn't make sense to me unless there is a deliberate feature (i.e. undervoltage condition) causes the gauges not to light. Sounds a bit dangerous, though, and the car DOES start/run/powers other lights...is this even a reasonable guess?

In the slim case that the alternator is defective (only has 50K miles on it), is there any way to verify it without tearing it out of the car and bringing it in for a load test? For example, can I put a multimeter somewhere and see if the voltage is in the expected range?

The last thing I'd do is pull the alternator.

Check your battery voltage across the battery terminals without the motor running. It should be 12volts+.

Start the engine and check it again. It should show 13.5volts plus.

If this proves correct I start checking fuses.

Both instruments AND lights says it shouldn't be the light switch but I can se where thrers a common feed to them. It could be a faulty earth that's taking out both the gauges and the lights.