Headers/Extractors for SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
No your tranny doesn't need attention that is normal.... Change the tranny fluid when regularly scheduled and you should be good for as long as you own the car...

Attachments

• d6_1_b.jpg
    d6_1_b.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 13
Yes, wrapping a stainless header will hurt it or better stated, will increase the likelyhood of it cracking. Stainless has a very high thermal expansion rate due to its very low thermal conductivity and wrapping it cause more heat to be retained in the header and therefor causes more expansion and therefor more likely to crack. The other main problem with stainless is at the weld joint. If the joint is not back gassed or shielded in some way, shape, or form, you will get what we welders call sugar on the back side of the weld joint. This sugar is actually oxides formed from the reaction that stainless steels have with oxygen when heated to welding temperatures. These oxides can reduce the weld strength by as much as 30% or more. This weekened joint will likely crack.

As for SS autochrome header cracking, I have never really heard of there N/A headers cracking, but have heard of there Turbo headers cracking. I think that the main problem with the turbo headers cracking is the lack of support and and that they are probably using 304 instead of 321 or 347. 304 is perfectly fine for use with N/A applications as long as its welded correctly, but for Turbo app's, 321 or 347 has to be used along with again proper welding.

Yes, wrapping a stainless header will hurt it or better stated, will increase the likelyhood of it cracking. Stainless has a very high thermal expansion rate due to its very low thermal conductivity and wrapping it cause more heat to be retained in the header and therefor causes more expansion and therefor more likely to crack. The other main problem with stainless is at the weld joint. If the joint is not back gassed or shielded in some way, shape, or form, you will get what we welders call sugar on the back side of the weld joint. This sugar is actually oxides formed from the reaction that stainless steels have with oxygen when heated to welding temperatures. These oxides can reduce the weld strength by as much as 30% or more. This weekened joint will likely crack.

As for SS autochrome header cracking, I have never really heard of there N/A headers cracking, but have heard of there Turbo headers cracking. I think that the main problem with the turbo headers cracking is the lack of support and and that they are probably using 304 instead of 321 or 347. 304 is perfectly fine for use with N/A applications as long as its welded correctly, but for Turbo app's, 321 or 347 has to be used along with again proper welding.

Well, I decided to start with baby steps. Took to muffler shop and had the large cat removed (the one after the 4 o2 sensors and after the y that collects from both headers). It seems to have helped my acceleration a bit, and it helped the sound a good bit. Its now more mellow sounding and a bit louder at higer rpms. Sounds a bit more aggressive. I had a 3" pipe welded in place of both y's (see http://www.lextreme.com/greddysc.html). I like the results. I left the two cats near the engine b/c the exhaust tech said they are high flow already anyways. I may still remove them later when I eventually buy headers. He said the engine will likely need to be removed to install them. Good thing is that all that only cost me 75 dollars and that included them straightening my mufflers up in the back so they are even (been bothering me for a while).

Miwise, those two little cats up front are a bit restrictive and not high flowing...I know this because I deleted mine and felt an immediate improvement like removing the center main cat and Y's......

Just a little helpful info for you... I honestly think your exhaust mechanic is probably being lazy, because to remove those two smaller cats you have to custom make three bolt mounting plates to connect to the stock headers...Not that easy to delete those little babies...Need to make custom down pipes, but I would wait until you get aftermarket headers anyway.......Do both at the same time..

Wouldn't surprise me. While there's a good deal of room below the head, there isn't any way to see in there.

You guys with these car engine bays really luck out compared to my little 4Runner bay.