Headers/Extractors for SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

miwise

Has anyone had any experience with these extractors: http://rushimports.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=22

The site is Rush Imports and they make these along with other performace upgrades for the sc400 (like the supercharger manifold). Is there a better one for the money, or is this one good? I don't mind spending the money on it if it will really help, but I don't want to just throw my money into the exhaust for nothing.

As far as I know there are only three companies in the world that make headers that are sold for the Lexus SC400/Soarer..

1)S&S Headers - Arizona, USA (not an exact fit) $600
2)EKtuning.com - USA $900 (exact fit)
3)Tex Headers - Aussie land.. $????

If that company is legit and their headers are an exact fit I would say get them and that is a good deal...

Nice find and post...

Well, I've corresponded with them about their supercharger manifold for the sc400/soarer. Seems reasonable as well. I was planning on possibly supercharging in June (Bonus check time). I think I'm going to give these extractors a try within the next month. I found the site off of another site, I think it may have been intellexual. There was a writeup about the supercharger with it.

I have a set of the larger supercharger ones they are very well built & do the trick nicely

Thanks for the info. That makes me feel good about the purchase.

I won't say Rush headers are made by Tex but they do look identical.

The Rush headers are made in Australia, so they may be made by or at least knock offs of the tex headers. Can't really beat the price. 650 australian comes to about 507 + shipping, and that's the more expensive ones. The smaller ones are about 429 + shipping american dollars

Just a thought. . .what have people in here done to get around the confines of the sc400 engine bay for a twin turbo setup. I was told that the turbo has to be above the oil pan to allow the oil to flow back into the pan. This means it would have to be near the top of the engine which is very cluttered. I mentioned a supercharger, but he (my mechanic) said that I should go with turbo. I'm trying to get some of the things now that I will need so there will not be as big of an expense later when I do this next summer. Will the rush headers work with a turbo setup, or will this require a set of custom headers?

Turbo's are generally mounted in front of the engine on the SC's and LS's..Electric flat fans need to be installed to free up room in between the radiator and the front of the engine.....

Use the search function and you will see many fitted turbo's in this manner... Custom turbo headers will need to be made or created...Keep in mind the headers when mounted on the engine will need to run forward towards the radiator to meet up where the turbo or turbo's will be mounted...Not backwards towards the rest of the exhaust like stock...

Don't get aftermarket headers if you plan to turbo...

That's what I wanted to know. I've been looking around, but I'll look some more in these forums. Thanks for all the help you've offered!

Attachments

• My R154 Swap Stage 4 004 (Small).jpg
    My R154 Swap Stage 4 004 (Small).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 39
  • My R154 Swap Stage 2 014 (Small).jpg
    My R154 Swap Stage 2 014 (Small).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 49
  • My R154 Swap Stage 4 002 (Small).jpg
    My R154 Swap Stage 4 002 (Small).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 31
A lot of guys are running the Rush headers here (myself included), they are decently made and reasonably priced.

Part of it is also that there arnt any other known off-the-shelf headers available here for the Soarer, the Castle Hill ones wont fit (they are meant for generic 1uz conversions into other vehicles)

Rush are right into all things Soarer V8, supercharging, manual conversions, etc so they are quite well known here.

I am investigating a TT setup with the (small) turbos mounted low and to the rear of the engine, subject to there being enough space i think this is the way to go over the common front-mount position.

Of course if you intend to go for a turbo setup then theres not much point spending money on headers but otherwise they make a pretty decent improvement to the performance of the car

The only thing I'd have to figure out is how to get around the egr system If I go that route. I still haven't decided whether turbo or supercharging will be better. I know I'll get better mpg with turbo, but faster power from the supercharger. Boost really isn't a concern b/c I only plan on boosting 7-10 psi. I think I can find a supercharger that can do that. I don't really care to have a 2 second 2000 hp car :)

I just want to have good power so that if some idiot trys to play around with me on the interstate (thetype that intentionally get in front of you and block the road) I can teach him a lesson (not road rage, just enough power to out perform and get around him). I was reading, and I believe I found a way to trick the ecu into thinking the cats are still there. I don't know if I can do that with the egr system though. reprogrammed ecu maybe?

I have installed S&S Headers on my SC4..They are shorty's.....I had a muffler shop alter to fit accordingly, they also simply relocated the EGR valve on the header and kept the EGR system intact and working...You can also delete the EGR system with a deletion kit ($100)...Very simple...Not a big deal either way..

Single and or twin Turbo's will create way more power then a fitted supercharger like the Eaton M90 that is then installed on a SC400/Soarer..The limited space to fit a supercharger under the hood is the main reason for that...

Just an idea for you- Dont' supercharge or turbo - Get the Headers and install and modify the rest of your exhaust system aswell, throw a BFI intake design on, and lastly hookup an ECU piggy back and tune...Your SC4 will perform much better at top end....If your looking for off the line performance a good stall rate torque converter is necessary...Like Lextreme's torque converters, or the Precision Industries "Dragon torque converter".

If you then are not satisfied with the N/A power and want a simple and cost effective way to increase to big power, you can always install a 100-150hp Nitrous system for around $1000 or less... Your car will then be decently fast without nos, then by hitting a button you can challenge the big boys while running under the juice....I have been doing that for over 3 years with my SC400....Boosting is always better but a Nitrous system is just as effective too. You just need to re-fill bottle maybe once a month.. Not a big deal but not as convenient as a supercharger or turbo setup that's for sure......

Just throwing out ideas for you...

Sounds good. I guess I'll go ahead and get the headers next week and take it from there. I'm definitely going with an upgraded torque converter. If the lextreme rebuilt one is just as effective, I'll probably do that as I can save some money in the process. If what I've read is correct, it looks to be a similar setup to the dragon by precision industries and thereby should offer as good performace as the dragon converter.

and lastly hookup an ECU piggy back and tune...

I'm not really familiar with piggy back ecu's. What is the deal with these. Why can't I just take it to one of those performance shops and have the ECU tuned/reprogrammed. I know they do this on Mustangs, Grand Prixs, Camaros, etc. How is this different? Is there some reason I can't have my ecu reprogrammed?

The main reason I can't afford the turbo right now is b/c I just finished buying a new outboard for my Boat (200 HP mercury efi) which should make it an 80mph boat. I'm pretty much finished with the boat and am now turning my attention to the car. I'd like to be able to hang with Mustang Cobras and Camaro SS's. Maybe it can be done N/A, but NOS isn't really the way I want to go. It does create a lot of power, but the power seems a bit unmanagable and uncontrollable to me. I've never really seen NOS in action. I'm really thinking of Fast and the Furious type when I make this assumption.

Toyota ECUs (at least the ones in our cars) cannot be reprogrammed, they are effectively 'locked', hence the need for a piggyback ECU or complete replacement if tuning is required

Miwise
I just fitted the large rush headers and built my exhaust system. The headers fit real neat are a reasonable price and large ones should be awesome with my blower hope to tune soon. That outboard would be sweet ay. I know a bloke that just bought two 225 hp mercury's cost him $60 000 au all up reckons he uses 60percent of the fuel the old 225 mercurys used they must have something sorted out.

I'm not really familiar with piggy back ecu's. What is the deal with these. Why can't I just take it to one of those performance shops and have the ECU tuned/reprogrammed. I know they do this on Mustangs, Grand Prixs, Camaros, etc. How is this different? Is there some reason I can't have my ecu reprogrammed?

The main reason I can't afford the turbo right now is b/c I just finished buying a new outboard for my Boat (200 HP mercury efi) which should make it an 80mph boat. I'm pretty much finished with the boat and am now turning my attention to the car. I'd like to be able to hang with Mustang Cobras and Camaro SS's. Maybe it can be done N/A, but NOS isn't really the way I want to go. It does create a lot of power, but the power seems a bit unmanagable and uncontrollable to me. I've never really seen NOS in action. I'm really thinking of Fast and the Furious type when I make this assumption.

Nos is not for everyone, I understand....However it is manageable, works great, and is very reliable...Never had a break down in four years from using Nitrous.. You do experience traction problems with even a 100hp nitrous shot, unless you are equiped with a progressive nitrous system...There is no controlled excelleration which stinks.....You also cannot use the nos on turns or canyon runs...You hit the nos on a turn and it's over...

Piggy back ECU's - They need to be wired up to your stock ECU then you can alter your fuel and air tuning for the motor thru the piggy back....You can achieve an extra 10-15whp with a good ECU piggy back and tuner...

Well, I guess I have until summer to decide. I still may even use a supercharger. I keep getting different opinions from different people. I may just supercharge since it seems to be the easiest route to more power (seems to be just as easy as nitrous, just about 3 or 4x as much cost). I may have the transmission rebuilt for the heck of it. I don't know if its holding like it should. At 500-600 rpm (idle), the car just rolls backward when in drive unless I give it a bit of gas (at least 1000 rpm). It takes about 800 rpm w/out the a/c on to make it hold when going up the driveway. I know its a bit steep, but my truck holds just fine and the car can hold when in reverse. Does this mean the tranny needs attention. It has new type 4 fluid installed by the toyota dealer (very expensive as far as a fluid change goes).