gtr gearbox???

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
ballo said:
what sort of horsepower would a skyline gtr gearbox hold, would it cope with the torque of a v8?
I say ........500 HP, but it come with complicate 4 wheel drive system that will adjust torque split from back to front wheel depend on vehicle traction. It will be pain in the ..... to modify skyline drive train system to work with Toyota V8.

yeah but think of the end result
light car + 4 wheel drive + v8 :):)

i was thinking of using one of those in my furture project that im researching for...does anyone know if there is a 4 wheel drive gearbox's that can handle 800 or so horsepower? i know there are heaps of non 4 wheels drive gearboxes that will handle that..just dont know of any 4 wheel drive ones?

it will handle quite a fair amount (my brother owned a series 3 vspec)... but like any other box, it doesn't like to be abused... they are strong but are breakable.

for 2wd versions, try either the vl turbo 5spd box, or z32 TT 5 spd box... they're basically gtr boxes without the transfer case... but if you were going to spend on them, might as well get an r154 or v160.

r154 v160

the r154 is the toyota supra 5 speed and v160 is the 6 speed version (getrag)...arnt they?
ive been told the getrag will hold bucket load of power...but its not 4wd...hmmm

thanx for the info guys

the Gtr box has to be the strongest 4wd box around.
for ease you could go with the 4wd box that comes on the back of the 1uz-fe in the Alltyise( i think that is wrong) but something does come out with them. or a landcruiser 100 series 4.7 box. ther are options there.

all those boxes cost bucktloads... v160 can be had for 3.5k AUD.... and landcruiser 100series 4x4 boxes are quite expensive too im told (do they even come in manual??)...

im sure you'll find answers if you poke around at wreckers abit.

Have you considered us9ing the running gear out of a Mitsubishi Evo?
There pretty damn strong, one car in NZ has run 9.59 with slicks on the complete standard drivetrain (except clutch)

Logan

if you're going to that extent, use the sequential hollinger six speed they stuff behind GTRs (minus the RB26 adaptor plate) and use the GTR centre diff bolted to the back of it.

unbreakable.

ballo:

From what I have found out when I did research for my Ford Sierra 4x4 conversion
I was told that the R32/R33 GTR 4WD 5 speed box will cope with 550 HP. The R34 GTR
4WD box is quite a different beast, it's a 6 speed Getrag and I was told they will take
800 HP without breaking.

Remember this is behind the high reving 2.6 liter GTR engine, what happens when you
have a more torqey 4 liter engine instead will be interesting to see.

I will use the stock Ford MT75 4x4 gearbox,but with use a Swedish gearkit from a
manufacturer called Fix-It. The warranty on this kit says if I break anything they will
replace the part. There is several powerful 2 liter turbo cars running with the kit,
but as the guy at Fix-It said "the warranty will be honored, in fact it will be interesting
to see how the gearkit will stand up behind an engine with so much torque".

wowa...cheers guys...thats a fair bit of info to look into

Mitsubishi Evo drive train.....behind a 4 liter v8 id dont think it would last with that touque....

sequential hollinger six speed....... i dont have 15 + grand to put into a gearbox and i think thats a bit of overkill but its a nice thouh to be able to find one of them lieing in some junkyard...i dont think its going to happen but ill keep my fingers crossed

autronic
all that info is very interesting, ill have to take note and do some research on the ford mt75 g-box and fix-it gearsets....sounds promising, furthermore i dident know that the getrag boxes were in the gtr....ill have to look into those aswell, cheers

thanks again everyone

ballo said:
yeah but think of the end result
light car + 4 wheel drive + v8 :):)

i was thinking of using one of those in my furture project that im researching for...does anyone know if there is a 4 wheel drive gearbox's that can handle 800 or so horsepower? i know there are heaps of non 4 wheels drive gearboxes that will handle that..just dont know of any 4 wheel drive ones?

It's like you read my mind. I too am researching for a project car and would like to give it 4wd. My pick would be the gearbox from the US version Subaru STi. I heard it was rediculously strong and plus the drivetrain includes that variable center differential which can divert up to 100% of the power to the rear at the driver's command or automatically. I'm really hoping there is a way to make the gearbox fit the 1uz (the engine will be mounted transverse).

As a side note, I was even thinking about doing something insane which I don't think there would be the slightest chance of working: my dream gearbox/drivetrain system, BMW's SMG2 (7 speed from the new M5) connected to the STi's AWD drivetrain with the variable center diff. AWD for crappy weather and full RWD for country roads, all at the turn of a dial; and for just cruising around or city traffic switch the SMG to full auto and just drive and when the right moment comes switch to sport mode and flip my way through all 7 gears.

Supercarracer, is the US subaru different to the aussie one? It just seems funny that you say that the gearbox can handle heaps of HP coz us aussies have found that autos are the only gearboxs that stay together in them

subarus drive train could be a possibility, especially with so many of them (there lik arseholes everyones got one) if they can handle extra touque being dished out to them...any subaru buffs, willing to add to my vivid knowledge of them, especially those variable center diffs...now that could be handy.

1UZ-HZ said:
Supercarracer, is the US subaru different to the aussie one? It just seems funny that you say that the gearbox can handle heaps of HP coz us aussies have found that autos are the only gearboxs that stay together in them

I'm not sure if the US and Aussie gearboxes are the same but I doubt they are. The US STi has a 2.5L engine and the rest of the world gets a WRC-spec 2L. I would think the gearbox would be a little different to handle the 300+lbft. Yes the US STi gearboxes are so strong that SCCA pro rally (kind of like the WRC but for the US) subaru racers swap out thier straight-cut sequential race gearboxes for the STi's.

nah they're not that strong.... they're basically the same gearbox as the jdm sti 22b.... in rallying it would be sufficient as there are never any full traction take offs like on the dragstrip here in oz...

i've seen too many wrx' and sti's drop their guts on the track... they are weak, and all the wrx racers will admit it too...

the evo box is stronger... been quite a few 9 and 8 second drag evo's running the stock box... but they're rare...

im thinking for the least hassle, run a landcruiser 100 series drivetrain and you'll be right... never seen one of them break before, hehe.

oh ok...yeah i can see how the dragging would load up the gearbox alot more then rallying

landcruiser 100 series drivetrain ...easy to find, price, comparision to gtr drivetrain...there wouldnt be as many aftermarket parts for them would there..lsd's etc?

1 thing ive learnt so far is..anything can happen...i had never seen someone completely shear his 10 inch diff before...untill about a month ago.

kinda hard to compare rex box to evo seeing that evo is transverse and rex is inline like standart rwd but with a diff an output shafts between gbox and bellhousing? v8 on a rex box would hang too far forward and handling would be at least interesting if you were able to line front driveshafts up to gearbox