Gone COP, runs good....but.........

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Be just like it is now but the ECU would trigger the AEM box instead of the stock ignitors. Using two ECU IGN channels and two channels of the AEM. Stock wires, coils, dizzies.

Like the example on page 14 of the AEM manual.

Dunno...... You might be onto something, but my gut feel is that it won't work.... at least not for very long.

It does say on the 2nd page of the AEM manual that the 4 channel box is suitable for systems with 4 ignition coils, and the 8 cylinder box is for systems with 4 or more ignition coils.

Then on page 16, it says it's for engines with distributorless ignitions.

If you run this from the ECU, and keep the distributors you'll have 2 channels working twice as hard as they would be in normal waste spark mode, and I think you'll be letting the smoke out shortly......

If it did kill the box that would prove it more a POS, LOL.

I would think it would be fine. The MSD boxes run 8cyl distributed engines on a single channel firing every 45 degrees. My 8cyl with 2 distributors being run with 2 channels would have a firing event every 45 degrees but each channel would fire every 90.

On a side note I am making it 100% plug and play. I have spare coil connectors so made a harness for it. I simply need to unplug the coils and plug them into this harness, connect the trigger wire, power and ground. Swapping between the AEM box and the stock igniters should be a 5-10 minute ordeal.

I am going to make a harness for the COP setup as well. Would take alittle longer to swap around but not bad. Could leave the factory setup in place plug wires and all until I get it right.

So hooked up the box using the otherwise stock ignition system. Same result. Miss at 3000rpm. 2900rpm, ok. 3100rpm ok. Everywhere else, ok. Just 3000rpm.

On the highway in 4th with the TQ converter locked up it was outright bucking.

Tried swapping plugs as well, using the other half of the unit.

If I want to make one last ditch effort on this and try using the stock igniters with the AEM box, how do I wire it?

Power to the igniters like normal. ECU trigger wires to the igniters. The wire normally for the coil ground to the AEM trigger wires?

Just want to make sure.

If I want to make one last ditch effort on this and try using the stock igniters with the AEM box, how do I wire it?

Power to the igniters like normal. ECU trigger wires to the igniters. The wire normally for the coil ground to the AEM trigger wires?

Just want to make sure.

Yup :) :) :) :) :)

So I (again) officially give up. Didn't work worth a sheot with it triggering through the stock igniters. Acted like one of the coils was dead. Quadruple checked my wiring and couldn't find anything wrong. Re-connected back to stock and no problem. The only thing I can think of, which I didn't think to try before putting it back to stock, is if maybe I needed to switch to rising edge on the AEM box.

I still don't have any idea what happened with the Bosch igniter setup.

Seems as though a CDI COP setup is not for me.

Crib if you have any other ideas I might be open to them. Summit racing has ok'd sending the AEM unit back so back it goes. I'm still out $400 for the Accel coils and the Bosch igiters though. I have modified both so pretty sure I won't be able to return them.

Not to mention the time spent.

:mad:

KC, if you like, I could test the Accel coils on my bench simulator.

I have a JimStim simulator board wired up to a couple of Ford EDIS6 modules in order to simulate the firing of a Ferrari V12, and could easily test 6 to 12 COP's simultaneously, either in inductive mode, and/or I have an MSD DIS4+ CDI box to test them on a CDI ignition.

I also have a pretty good stock of Denso bike coils that I could test against your Accel's.

I may take you up on that at some point but I don't think the coils are the problem seeing as how it has the same exact problem with the COP setup or the stock 2 coil 2 dizzy setup.

I have one more thing I might try yet, don't have much hope to be honest though.

Did I mention a rep from AEM has been trying to convince me that the problem is normal? He's offered to take a look at my logs and or have the unit checked out.

If you were actually lucky enough to make contact with someone at AEM, by all means, try to work with them.

Their tech support is supposed to be very good if you can actually ever make contact with someone.