Gearbox Conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

siksora

Guys,
Has anyone done the conversion for the R154 into the soarer/sc400?? If anyone has could you please list a couple of things that you used, such as the kit used, the gearbox cross member, the clutch, the clutch pedal and slave cylinders and all those sorts of things? Also with the R154, did you use the short (160mm) spline/shaft or the long (190mm) one?? Need to know whether this would affect the position of the gear knob in the cabin. Any help?? Cheers Lee

There are 2 main variations in the r154's and both have the longer shaft. The short shaft gearbox would probably have been the r150 in the hiluxs and surfs (anyone with definate info feel free to correct me if im wrong).

Basically, if you get a soarer r154, it will bolt straight up and shifter will be aligned to factory position. Using the other r154 (7mgte and 1jz from mk3 supra) will require some basic mods.

Best bet is to pop over to ALSC for some help... there would be plenty of guys there who've done the conversion.

Do you have a V8 or TT Soarer? If you've got a TT manual conversion kits are available from time to time with everything you need and if you've got a V8 it can be done too. Best place to look is the ALSC forum as R-Jay mentioned - www.lexus.australia.as

5 speed

guys,
It's the v8 soarer and i didn't realise the r154 came in the jzz30. Are these easy to find does anyone know???? I'll check out the alsc as well and check out a few importers but don't really know what price it's gonna be there. If i can find one of the others cheaper on ebay or something i'm quite happy to do the small mods required to fit it. Cheers Guys Lee

You could be in luck. Neil Griffiths who fitted a W58 in my V8 Soarer should be able to help. A couple of weeks back he had some 5 speed conversion kits with gearboxes and I think one was an R154. His contact details are on his website - www.rushimports.com.au

This is a pic of the jzz30 r154.... look at how far back the shifter sits... very similar to the v160 supra gb....

Attachments

• DV00100.jpg
    DV00100.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 74
  • DV00083.jpg
    DV00083.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DV00067.jpg
    DV00067.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DV00095.jpg
    DV00095.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 76
basically because of the long front end in the soarer and mk4 supra, all their gearboxes had shifter extensions to make the shifter positioning erganomical for the driver....

i know of one place selling a genuine jzz30 soarer r154, but it is expensive... $2000... very rare...

for abit more you could get a v160 if you're lucky.... that also fits, but then you have as much trouble as myself and turboandrew trying to mate it to the v8... but when it happens... boy is it gonna be cool.....

Siksora, are you planning to keep the engine N/A or are you going to get some forced induction happening? If you're not going for massive horsepower the W58 will be cheaper and is a smooth shifting gearbox. This is what I have in my Soarer and I know of one guy with a 1JZ in his Soarer putting out 300kw ATW with a W58... we were all waiting for it to go bang but it hasn't yet.

No doubt the R154 is stronger but horses for courses...

Still searchin

Guys,
Think built bottom end, hi flowed heads, upgraded cams and about 12 psi from a vortech v2. This is why i don't really want to look at the w58. If i did i can see me spending all the time on the conversion, blowing it up and then spending more money on the upgrade to the r154. Damien i think i need the r154 for the extra strength in the box, especially when it comes to handling the massive upgrade in torque!! I've heard 1uz engines jump to 800 nm of torque running 5.5 psi. So yeah thanx for all the advice and i hope any other info you guys have for me will be posted up for me here, and i'll def check out tose two on toymods. Cheers Guys, Lee