Garrett GT40 Turbo

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Got this turbo today, but it so huge i might got the wrong turbo. Looks like it might be GT42. The version i got comes with 3.5" V-Band. The length is about 10.5" and the height is about 9". This turbo is much bigger than the MP T70. From comparing between the two turbos, the MP T70 spin more freely then the GT40. I will double check tomorrow to make sure i get the right turbo.

I am not having too much luck with my MP T70 so thinking about changing to a name brand turbo.

the bigger the better right? =D

you'll find a way to slap it in there...you're a talented man...now go make some more nice videos for us...hehe

Got the oil fitting today. Its a special type of metric fitting. Its not a npt. Its 16mm with 1.5mm pitch male with 4 AN male. I will post some pictures later.

This is a truely a heavy duty turbo. Eventhough its physically bigger then the MP T70, but it will spool up much faster.

Oh my, that looks like a basketball-sized hairdryer!
I think it will be the one.
How about a crazy huge hood bulge?
Would lose the sleeper factor though.

lol... i should fit under the hood without any problem. U can see the first picture comparing with a 12 oz. Coke. The Coke can is a referrence and it huge and heavy too. 28 lbs.
Below is a picture of a Supra with GT42.

Here is an interesting article about the new GT Turbos:
On the T72, it is common practice to run a smaller A/R such as .70 in attempt to keep this large turbo "streetable". Many T72 users may cringe at the thought of running an A/R larger than 1.00 on a turbo for a street application. Amazingly, the much more HP capable GT42, even with its larger wheels and much larger 1.06 A/R, is capable of spooling up just as well as the smaller .70 A/R T72 in the low RPM while far exceeding its peak HP potential, thanks to modern aerodynamics and better turbine efficiency. The technology found in the wheel combinations used in the GT series turbocharger is decades ahead of the obsolete T turbochargers. This application is another example of how old turbo/wheel/A/R sizing habits can be overcome with new technology!

The following is a picture of a Garrett GT42 and a Garrett GT40. Actually, the GT40 in this picture is the bigger version of the one you received.

Picture%20002.jpg

Here are little more information about this turbo. The oil inlet is not your typical NPT. Actually its a 16 mm with 1.5 mm pitch. Here are some pictures. Secondly, the GT40 turbine inlet is not your typic T4 flange either. Its slightly wider then the T40 and needs slight modification in order to fit it. I also mock fitted the GT40 into my spare Single Turbo Header. As you can see, its huge.

David:

Love the pics of the Turbo...So you decided to follow my lead and go with the GT40, Heh, heh, heh !!! Good man. All the better for the shootout in Texas. The views of a Lexus Turbo V8 are almost as good as a double orgasm...SWEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!! Notice that I said almost!!

Ryan

Here are some pictures comparing MP T70 with Garrett GT40 side by side. As you can see, the GT turbo is much bigger physically and its not as free spinning as the MP T70. Side by side comparison, the GT40 made the T70 looks so tinny.

I also took some picture of the GT40 in my car and you can see how tight it is. I also try to show you that the GT40 turbine inlet has different pattern as a typic T4 flange. Its about 1/4" longer.

I did some research on the net. I think the GT40 Turbine flange is called T6. Its very hard to fine this T6 flange. Found a place and its $30.

Here are some pictures i took earlier. I took the T70 out and mock fit the GT40. From the pictures below, the GT40 turbine is slightly larger and push the radiator hose just a little. I would need to modify few things in order to make it work.

1. Modify the T4 flange
2. Modify the down pipe with 3.5" V-Band
3. Weld on a sharp 90 degrees elbow

Seems like the GT40 will have a harder time to spool from what i am experiencing. I guess we will never find out unless i install it.

David, remember, with today's technology, turbos are manufactured much more efficiently, and spool up much quicker than the older school T series turbos. So, even though the GT40 is bigger than the T70, I believe that has nothing to do with spool up time. Once we have them installed, I think we will have those Chesire cat type grins...from ear-to-ear... :)

BTW, David, when are we going to get a chance at those smilies when we post???

Ryan

SC400T,

No smile, all business.

Update: Just sent back the GT40 Turbine to Precision for an exchange or upgrade to their T04 turbine witht .68 A/R. It will take the standard T4 flange with 3" V-Band. This unit will bolt right into my old setup. Thanks to Joe from TPS and Don from Precision for their help.

Thanks to TPS and Precision

Finally,

After two weeks of down time. I finally got the Turbine from Precision. Don from Precision is a champ along with Joe from TPS. They went the extra mile for me. Thanks Guys!

Here is comes. The turbine is .81 with 3" V-Band. Which is a perfect replacement to my old T70 with TO4 Turbine. Now these pictures look alot like it. The old Garrett GT40 turbine had only two holes for the CHRA to rotate, now with Precision turbine it has 16 positions to rotate. The fit is perfect. Here are some pics.... The last pic show an 90 degrees elbow welded onto the compressor.

OK David. Looks great! I know I had the opportunity to receive the same housing, but I want more low end, so, as you know, I elected to wait for the .69 AR housing. Three more weeks, Arghhhhhhhhh...But, it will be worth the wait. Great pics. Looking forward to Texas...

Ryan