Fidanza Flywheel & Clutch for Landcruiser V8

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Yea, I knew the diameters between the toyota cluches and temec setups were not gonna be close..the tremecs are 280mm (266mm for mustang)

Some measurements that I have for the UZ flex plate ring gear are OD = 305mm, and ID = 271mm, so a Tremec clutch isn't going to fit too well, unless the ring gear on the new flywheel is deep enough off the back of the flywheel for full engagement of the starter without hitting the flywheel. I think Zuffen manages to run an 11" clutch on his setup, but I'll leave it to him to explain how. I'll also measure the ID of a Getrag bell housing to see what the maximum OD is that it'll handle.

To use a "conventional" setup where the ring gear is the largest OD, probably the biggest possible pressure plate/cover will be 10.5" for a 10" disc. This is already pretty close to the stock MKIV Supra setup of 250mm disc.

Now, if I could find clutch disks that were 11", but had the 21 spline input, could that work? IE, we drill it for the tremec pressure plates, then guys that are using W5* and R154 buy the disk with 21 spline input? Or the other way around would work to, but the 11" would be the largest diameter of all the options.

See above; I think the biggest disc we're going to be able to run will be a 10".

It looks like that if this does happen, its just going to be one part, setup for one clutch/pressure plate. Being there are already racing units out there, and racers have a bit more cash/connections to get these things done, I would think we go with the larger diameter, single disc, street setup as our goal?

I might post a thread at v-eight.com and uzswap.com, just to see what they think also...in the end, I may not even be able to use this because of my tranny choice, so my personal choice doesn't matter. I just want to come up with something that will have the broadest range of applications, which would justify Fidanza making it, and keeping it as a regularly stocked option.

I hope you can pull this off!

Hi guys.

As one of the "Tremec boys" I'd like to get my $0.02 worth in...

I have had extensive communication with several custom clutch manufacturers and 10" is a difficult size as
there does not exist a lot of pressure plates for them to modify.

They all recommended going down to a 9.5" ( 241 mm ) as this is a size where the base choice is almost endless.
The guys I have been working with most ( South Bend clutch ), can deliver any 241 mm cover to any clutch plate
to any spline. Max torque capacity is 710 lbs/ft on a single 241 mm plate.

If you want to go to a bigger diameter clutch, have a look at the new Mustang 10.4" or the old 10.5" clutches.
I think it should be possible to squeeze these inside the bell housing as the opening is 329 mm. It's not a problem
making a flywheel with an "overhang" that comes outside the starter ring.

There is a lot of engines that run this solution, BMW is one. They are using a 241 mm cover on a starter ring that is
only 260 mm in diameter, the bolt pattern holding the cover to the flywheel is 273 mm.

The picture of the Ford V6 flywheel shows this solution too.

I don't see a problem adapting this solution to the 1UZFE, I have not had a look at it as I don't have access to
the parts necessary to do the measurements needed to tell if this is possible, but if I speculate a bit:

- Opening in 1UZFE auto bell housing: 329 mm
- Opening in "my" 1UZFE to T-56 bell housing: 312 mm

- Outside diameter 1UZFE starter ring: 305 mm
- Inside diameter 1UZFE starter ring: 272 mm

The biggest ( physical ) 241 mm ( 9.5" ) clutch cover I have is one from that Ford V6 flywheel, I'll use that as it's
better to think a bit big when it comes to the "yankeee" stuff later:

- Bolt pattern Ford V6 cover: 273 mm
- Clutch cover outside diameter ( outer tip ): 296 mm

If I "grow" this to a imagined 10.5" cover:

- Bolt pattern 10.5" cover: 299 mm
- Clutch cover outside diameter ( outer tip ): 324 mm

It should be possible to squeeze in a 10.5" clutch in the 1UZ auto bellhousing.

Attachments

• BMW original flywheel.jpg
    BMW original flywheel.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Ford V6 bolt.jpg
    Ford V6 bolt.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Audi strap.JPG
    Audi strap.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
hmm..well this throws a wrench into one of the options. Fidanza part# 130081, which is the flywheel made for the land cruiser 4.7, is listed as having a clutch bolt circle diameter of 345mm...which is way bigger than what we are talking about here, so im going to guess that the 2uz must have a larger bellhousing and flexplate, and well, block/flex plate interface. Either way, it sounds like Fidanza modding 130081 isn't going to work, so we are left with them modding a stock 7m,2jz,or 3sgte clutch to work.

Based on what Ive read above, the 7mgte would be the one to go with, as it is 240mm. Would a 240mm 7mgte cover work with a 9.5 clutch..its just a mm off, or is that too much?

motoracer47:

Regarding the 345mm clutch bolt circle must be a typo as the 1UZFE, 2UZFE and 3UZFE have the same block
bolt patterns, you can use any bell housing on any of the engines.

The 240 mm clutch diameter is not a problem.

hmm, maybe it was a typo, and he meant 245mm? Ill ask..it is possible that the typo is that if fit the 4.7...because it is also supposed to fit the 5.7..which I thought was a bit odd. Im wondering if the new 5.7l uses a 345mm, and part 130081 is really just for it.

Landcruiser Series 100 4,7 Manual Petrol

Hi,

the Landcruiser 100 uses a bellhousing with a " 2piece design", the first piece (bolt to the engine) "opens" to a larger diameter and make space to a way bigger flywheel/clutch. Then comes the 2.piece,like a normal bell.

Reason was: taking care of heavy loads that people tow,probably:)

The pic is not my property, i stole it from "beanz2", ih8mud.com:).

Buy the way, our chineese member shows in his jeeplife treats 80 Landcruiser gearbox to UZ setups, which "share" this design

Matt

Attachments

• 1UZFE_with_H151.jpg
    1UZFE_with_H151.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 27
sorry for the long delay guys, ive been busy with moving to a new place, birthdays, holidays, the lake, a boat, and oh yea, work!

Anyways, im back, and im about to get back onto this project with fidanza

Just to continue this saga, I’ve been in technical conversations with Fidanza over the last week about their flywheel applications for the UZ motors. As you know from earlier posts in this thread, Fidanza have two flywheels for the Toyota LandCruiser, and one is definitely for the 2UZ engine and they suspect the other may be for a six cylinder diesel application. Their technical sales people tell me that these flywheels are sold into the international market, not the USDM, and the first ones were made to specification for a customer in the UAE, so they do not have as much application information for them as they would for most applications. Here are the Part Numbers :

P/N 130081 @ 17.5 lbs, and definitely for the UZ engines. Here are some pics:
130081Large.png

130081_3Large.png

130081_5Large.png

P/N 130091 @ 13.1 lbs, and probably for the diesel six or four, and here’s a pic:
130091FlywheelLarge.png

The technical details I’ve been able to pry out of Fidanza’s support staff so far are:

1) They’re aluminum flywheels and incorporate the standard Fidanza replaceable steel friction surfaces.

2) Drawings are not available for public release.

3) They do not offer any clutches for these flywheels, but they do come predrilled and predoweled per the original client’s specification, which is presumably for an OEM Toyota clutch in the European/Mideastern version of the LandCruiser.

4) Now before you get your hopes up, the outer diameter of the friction surface is 12” and the inner diameter of the friction surface is 7.45” on both, and the overall OD of the 130081 is 14.29”, so this flywheel probably will not fit into the majority of bellhousings that we would use, and as such, would not be suitable for our applications, unless you have one of those special LandCruiser 2 piece bellhousings as shown in the previous post.

5) Fidanza make these in batches, so delivery time can vary anywhere from stock to 12 weeks. For example last week they had 4 on the shelf, so delivery would have been stock. This week they’re out of stock, so delivery could be at least 12 weeks. They typically run 3-4 batches per year, depending on demand.

So, unless you’re into a rockcrawling application, and need a humongous flywheel, and have that special 2 piece bellhousing to use it, these flywheels probably aren’t your cup of tea.

So the search continues. I'm still working with their technical guys to see what it'll take to make a flywheel for us.

I've also started talking to OS Giken who made the flywheel/clutch/release bearing setup for my Ferrari, and it drives like a dream now.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but is there any more info about this? I have been looking and found a place to get the two piece bell housing. I am waiting on a reply to verify what transmissions it bolts to. I already have a bell housing that adapts the 1UZ to my R150F transmission from KS racing. I would prefer to use this. Please help. Thanks!

the two piece design was only sold in non us markets.

also just to add to this old thread. I talked to the guys at clutch masters in person two years ago. I got everything lined up to make flywheels thru them and the totally dropped the ball on me. I guess pressuring fidanza again may be in order...