Ferrari's 4.3liter V8 doubles the 1uz-fe hp output NA..

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

I had a chance to look over the Ferrari F430 V8 4.3L NA engine inside and out the other day at a Ferrari show and I don't understand how this little engine doubles the power output of the almost same size 4.0 liter Lexus 1uz v8 motors?...

The F430 Ferrari motor -

4.3 liter V8
Aspiration natural
500hp @ 8500
114hp per liter
343 lb-ft torque @ 5250 rpms

This motor looks nothing like my 1uz-fe, the cams have unreal lift and the design is nothing like the conventional cams, the fuel injection system looks like it is from another planet...I just don't get it..Thought someone might be able to enlighten me? Is it all in the cams?...

The F430 specs

0-62mph in 4 seconds
top speed 196mph
weight 3197 lbs
hp/weight - 6.5lbs per 1 hp.

This is truely an outstanding engine and car...and the price reflects...

Assuming a straight line relationship (which isn't correct, but it's good enough for discussion) the Ferrari motor at 6000 RPM is only around 350 BHP. Not THAT much different than a 4.3 litre 3UZ at 6000 RPM.

The secret is shifting the peak torque into the upper range with cams, and maintaining it with more fuel and better flowing heads, manifolds and headers, after that it's just the magic of Torque x RPM's that does the trick at 8500 RPM.

Ferrari cams are an unusual gring that has the lobes tapered in such a way that by pushing the cam forward (in relation to the valves) the profile of the cam changes.

This gives their version of VVTi plus they run variable length runners.

Don't forget they rev to well over 8,000rpm to make the power they do.

One point to remember most late model Ferrari V8's need an engine rebuilt by 50,000km. I have a 355 Spider that had a complete engine rebuild at 43,000km. Cost $35,000.

How many XUZ's have had an engine rebuild at less than 100,000km?

zuffen you have a 355 spider, no wonder you don't get us poor folk wanting reground cams.
Jibby,
dude, as stated, different markets and era. I'm not sure but i think these things have variable lift, timing, intake manifolds, and exotic materials to make it work through the rpm range. you can't compare these engines, no comparison. what about a ford 4.0l ranger motor?
my father used to trade his jaguar xke with his friend's ferrari race prepped 250GTO a couple of times in the 60's and the stories are great, freakin lucky bastard.

Zuff- So these higher performance motors wear out relatively fast.....Interesting...Thanks for the input fellas...I am still very impressed with these motors regardless.....

What destroys the motor so fast? Is it the heat, high reving, I don't see why these motors would wear out so fast? All the parts I saw, inspected and held seem solid and well engineered to the tee...... I held the pistons, cams, and parts of the fuel system and from the looks of the fuel system it appears to have fuel rail down spouts that flows the fuel into what looks like bowls and then flows into each cylinder...Wild....Just an amazing engine to me and the power that they produce...

There was some thread about engine wear,after 6500 rpm,ther wear factor increases at a much higer factor,something to do with piston speed..some one here will surely make clear.

In my opinion the thing that makes Ferrari engines wear out fast is the morons who drive them.

So many owners will fire them up and then drive off to the redline in 1st, 2nd and then slip it into top, all without letting anything warm up.

Most of them can't drive and don't have a mechanical bone in their body.

Whilst operating over 6500 certainly contributes greatly to the wear rate the hamfisted driving methods ensure low survival rates.

We quite often get clients claiming something happened whilst driving their Ferrari (I run an insurance company) and the transmission has failed. Most often they downshifted whilst the engine was doing 7,000 rpm and over-revved it. The trans usually fails first.

There are some cool engineering ideas in Ferraris, One of the better ones is the crown wheel bolts come loose and machine their way out the side of the trans case. Client's tell us "it must have hit something" and we tell them exactly what happened. The cost? Around $35,000 to fix it.

I only own the 355 because it fell into my lap at the right price. Currently it's for sale.

Give me a Porsche any day.

Zuffen, I love your bluntness....Yes, I would have to agree with you for the most part that the millionaire drivers can't piss straight into a bucket that is put right in front of them when it comes to operating and driving these machines correctly......

In general higher reving engines do wear out faster then lower reving engines, just look at the two stroke motors in comparison to the four stokers in motorcycles...With the two strokers you even have to ad oil in with the fuel to cut down on premature engine wear......I guess higher reving motors cause more heat and friction in general...

I would also say it is safe to assume the after market higher reving cams that we would install into our xUZ.. motors will also aid in faster wear of the engines themselves...right?

2 strokes and 4 strokes are 2 really different worlds

2 strokes uses ball bearings to support the crankshaft/pistons/rod, 4 strokes uses an oil cushion as the bearing. Yes, you add oil, in the fuel mixture in a 2 stroke, but there's absolutely nothing to lubricate the engine, so it uses the fuel/oil mixture that passes trough the engine bloc to lubricate, then goes up into the combustion chamber via ports on the side of the cylinders. They also revs at very high RPMs. Low revving 2 stroke engine can be reliable, just look at those old lawn-boy lawn-mower! But it's sure that a 2 stroke will never be as reliable as a 4 stroke.

If you check out the McLaren section you will find the Mclaren we spent $1,004,000 repairing. It has MCLF1 plates on it.

That looks like a write off!

mclaren_20030226_002.jpg

That poor MCLaren, what a shame!!!!! Thank god the owner was insured with you Rod.......Curious, what were the monthly insurance premiums payments on that beast if you don't mind me asking? Can you say salvage model....

The annual premium on the McLaren was about $20,000.

After the accident we loaded the car on a plane and flew it McLaren in Woking UK and they repaired it. The car was moved by Gibson Freight who move all the Formula One cars.

The owner couldn't get another one as production had ceased. Plus he didn't want another as each car has the original owners name moulded in the carbon fibre chassis. This car had his name and no other car ever would.

Interestingly when we called for salvage tenders on the car not a single person was interested in it.

We still insure the car.

And the client thinks we're the ducks guts!

Engine
Type: 90° V8
Bore/stroke: 92 mm x 81 mm 3.50 x 3.03 cu in
Unit displacement: 538.5 cc 32.86 cu in
Total displacement: 4,308 cc 262.89 cu in
Compression ratio: 11.3:1
Maximum power: 360.4 kW (490 CV*) at 8500 rpm
Maximum torque: 465 Nm (47.4 kgm or 343 lbft) at 5250 rpm
Specific horse power: 114 CV*/l
Performance
Maximum speed: >315 km/h > 196 mph
0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): 4.0 s
F430_press-engine-angled.jpg

VS

1UZ-FE.jpg

is it that hard to understand the power differential??

If you bored the engine out to the same displacement with a higher CR, maybe get it port and polished and some cams that deliver max output at 8500rpm the 1UZFE would be close to that mark.