fabricating for supercharger

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hey Joel
Where did you get the bypass mechanism for your setup?
Also, on a standard setup the stepper motor or IAC valve is mounted horizontally into the front of the air plenum. Is there any reason why it can't be mounted vertically in to the top plate of the blower manifold. I think there would be enough at the back next to the blower. What are your thoughts?
Brett

Last edited by a moderator:
brett i got the bypass valve stuff off the supercharger i bought and made the housing to suit im sure you will be able to mount the idle air valve at the back or at the front of the manifold vh 1uz the measurement from the oil filler cap to the top of the supercharger is about 90mm miles i used a tig to weld the cast to the plate and mainly miged the rest of it its not a must to use cast filler wire and most people dont it still welds good but there is a risk of the weld cracking when the weld cools down

Jordy,

There's a lot to be said for what you are doing.

I feel there are a lot of us out there who work on our own cars because we enjoy it rather than because we have to.

A mechanic paid me a compliment on the neat instal in my Rover the other day. It made my day because I could tell him I did every bit except machine the flywheel. Someone could have stepped up and robbed me and I would have still had a good day.

I can afford Neil's setup or have someone do all my work for me but, I see the whole 1UZ deal as a challenge and to date I have had a lot of fun and made a few errors. I know it hasn't been cheap but I don't care.

I think Neil is right in that he has made an investment of his time and money and yes his manifold probably is superior and I don't think his kit is expensive as it uses all new parts. He has right to sell it and make a profit. The man has to eat.

We all need to understand some of us have people do the work for us and use all pre-manufactured parts and others like to prove they can do it their way. They probably won't save any money but that's the way they get their kicks.

I agree with Zuffen. Many of us are on this forum to gain experience so our efforts on home mechanics are easier, cheaper and more enjoyable. I would prefer no-one touches my car but me where possible (which means I can only blame myself when something goes wrong) I know most of us would like to increase our mechanical knowledge and you only learn from trying. Personally I refuse to pay for something I can do myself.

if i hade the money to bye neils kit there is noway i would have made my own manifold i did get a quote on the manifold before i made it im not saying its to much i just have not got the money to bye one like 90% of the people its a shame but thats the way it is.

Hey Jordy, I am very interested in your manifold are you still gonna make these for ppl. If so do you require a manifold to do so or do you make a totally new custom one.

Interested

I also have a great interest in one of these manifolds, if your still doing them let me know.
m90's seem to be quite easy to pick up at a decent price.
Seems like its becoming big business, if you need a distributer in Brisbane let me know...

jordys ski boat said:
last night i was reading on the ALSC forum witch means australin lexus soarer club and my manifold was on there which that does not bother me and a bloke named neil griffiths stated that the welding on the manifold may crack due to it been under stress can anyone tell me what type of stress the manifold is under. when you weld the cast ports to the billet alum and do not use a special cast filler wire the welds may crack. i have been welding for about 15years and have seen meany hand made manifolds but i have never heard of one cracking im not sure may be drag cars with 1500 to 2000hp maybe but i am only scratching around here its just a simple manifold made to fit a small blower may be because its half the price$ as his

pffff...even if i have to pay someone to re-weld your manifold (if ever) it still comes in cheaper than Neil's kit.

my $0.02c.

I have just taken delivery of one of Jordy's manifolds. There is absolutely no possibility of the welds cracking.

Last edited by a moderator:
pro240c said:
pffff...even if i have to pay someone to re-weld your manifold (if ever) it still comes in cheaper than Neil's kit.

my $0.02c.

Yes, but Neil's kit is not for the DIYer who wants a piece here, a piece there, and do all the labour himself. Neil's kit is a low-risk, no weeks-of-BSing-around trying to figure out what is wrong, comes with an Engineer's Certificate, total package. That is what you are paying for - he has done the thinking and development work so you don't have to. If that's not what you want, that's cool too. I'm just saying it's apples and oranges. If you priced your own time at even $20/hr, I reckon Neil's price would come out in front in the end anyway.

When pricing your own, too, don't forget all the little hoses and fittings and bolts and bits that end up adding up to like a thousand bucks by the time you're done. I hate those details!

Miles is right. When people think of a supercharger kit, all they think of are the supercharger unit and manifold. There are lots of misc parts involve. Having flour and chocolate doesnt make it chocolate chip automatically. It takes many other ingredient and process to make it chocolate chip. Parts here and there really adds up.

well guys i have done a complete back flip with my supercharger project. i have got a twin intercooled jag superchargers on the way from england. I have got the best opportunity to cool the air down with the river water pumping threw the intercoolers i sold my kit to quad cam boat. From looking at this photo it looks like i will be cuting of the ports and the bottom plate of the intercoolers and make a hole new bottom to suit the 1uz we will have to wait and see

Can you pump river water straight through them without fear of corrosion? Or would you need another heat exchanger? I'd hate to see one of those ICs develop a leak.... ouch.

i wrot to them in england and they didn't have any. so that is where the last one went.
Your manifold was nice and would have worked well full credit to you but i think that with this set up you willl get a far supperiour end product. nice work Jordy.
The water should not be a problem with a the filter. although i would flush it with a coolant if it were to be sitting in the gararge for long.
I am off to england later this year and i think i might be bringing back a bit of lugage