Dellow might make 6spd adaptor plate

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

R-Jay

As some of you may have figured out, i am constantly in contact with Jeff from Dellows in Sydney....

I've spoken to him many times and he has always been polite and helpful.....

So anyhow, i've been talking to him about a product for the v160 6spd and there may be a chance he will make an adaptor plate kit for our engines. This may be the thing the FI guys want to hear as the v160 is one of the toughest street manual boxes out there.

Anyhow, i will be dropping my gearbox off at the shop this week and hopefully will have a definate answer soon....

fingers crossed guys....

is the V160 6 speed a toyota box from the supra? never heard of it myself,
i've only heard of the T56 which would have too tall a 6 gear overdrive,
what is the ratios of theV160? what is the cost of it me thinks expensive?

I wish they'd make an adapter for the t-56, it is much cheaper than the v160 less than a $1000 in the U.S. vs. $4000 or so for the v160. I don't believe that the t-56 has too tall of a 6th because i drive my friends camaro in 6th easily and it has a 3.42 rear end versus my sc400 3.9 rear end. Anyway, you can aquire a 93' t-56 box code M28 that has a .62 overdrive rather than the normal .5 overdrive. I know that a camaro has more torque obviously, but with the differences in ratios it would work out. So, how about Austrailia, i know the t-56 boxes are in all the new holden rear while drive ls1 vehicles that are manual. Did you have a lot of t-56's available in earlier model vehicles like we did. If you are able to get them as well for a low price, it would make a lot of sense to push for this six speed, because the v160 will have very limited availablity and very high price. Some might sigh in disgust of having a box from a chevy (holden) or some other u.s. domestic brand. The thing is that this tremec box handles torque well, and shifts great from personal experience. Not only that but its used in a variety of high-performance rear drive cars such as viper, corvette, cobra, and i think even an aston martin.........its a great box!!!!!!!!!!!!

the v160 is the supra 6speed box made by Getrag. I will speak to Jeff about whether he has anything for the t56 lined up. Here in Australia, the t56 is about the same price, if not more expensive than the v160...

here you can get second hand v160's from about $3000 AUD which is alot less than what it costs state side.
the t56 here is around the same, which is more expensive than what you pay in the states as they're rarer here.

As for gearing on the v160, it is a close ratio box, which means 6th is very usable.... unlike some t56 variants.

Personally, i would prefer T56. They are easy and cheap to get. Many US cars uses T56. Supra is the only car used V160 no? I have a T56 in my Cobra and i Love it. T56 is very strong... Cobras, Cameros, Trans Ams, Vets and Vipers all use the T56.

Like i said, here in Australia, the v160 is around as common as the 56 and is both the same price thereabouts.

everyone has their own preference... i personally prefer the quick geared v160 which has a very usable 6th unlike variants of the t56... anyhow, i will give Jeff a call tomorrow to arrange appointments. Of course i will keep you fellas updated.

The t-56 is a strong transmission, no doubt, but the V-160 is a TANK. I plan to use one and make an adapter if needed. Or how about this, if anyone else has an adapter for 1UZ to V160 and wouldn't mind scanning it at scale, or even drawing the adapter as long as it is perfectly to scale, I can reproduce it. This way people in the US can use it, or anyone else that wants one. If I made these, I would sell them damn cheap and they would be made correctly to bolt right on. I will reproduce it one way or the other, just hoping for the easier way!

-Steve

My first strategy was to just mill off the flange on the v160 and weld on one that matches the 1UZ (which I am still planning on doing). I looked into making an adapter plate, but IMO I just don't see how one could do it without cutting corners. There are too many bolt holes from both flanges (the 1UZ engine and the v160) that overlap, which prevents one from using all the bolts. The only way I can see this working is tilting the v160 over, so the bolts don't overlap, something I am not willing to do.

that is what Ozvenom did when he made his, and that is what i'll be talking to Jeff about when i see him tomorrow.

I'd like to see it made for the V160 it is a stronger tranny and just runs smoother. I know because I have a 6spd supra. It doesnt feel notchy like the T-56 which feels like a truck transmission

WDoherty said:
I wish they'd make an adapter for the t-56, it is much cheaper than the v160 less than a $1000 in the U.S. vs. $4000 or so for the v160. I don't believe that the t-56 has too tall of a 6th because i drive my friends camaro in 6th easily and it has a 3.42 rear end versus my sc400 3.9 rear end. Anyway, you can aquire a 93' t-56 box code M28 that has a .62 overdrive rather than the normal .5 overdrive. I know that a camaro has more torque obviously, but with the differences in ratios it would work out. So, how about Austrailia, i know the t-56 boxes are in all the new holden rear while drive ls1 vehicles that are manual. Did you have a lot of t-56's available in earlier model vehicles like we did. If you are able to get them as well for a low price, it would make a lot of sense to push for this six speed, because the v160 will have very limited availablity and very high price. Some might sigh in disgust of having a box from a chevy (holden) or some other u.s. domestic brand. The thing is that this tremec box handles torque well, and shifts great from personal experience. Not only that but its used in a variety of high-performance rear drive cars such as viper, corvette, cobra, and i think even an aston martin.........its a great box!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought the t-56 was a borg-warner unit
thinking.gif
correct me if im wrong

I don't know, but I need to do something. If I knew someone had a template for an adapter for something, I could start looking for a trans. I'd even go for a template for a w55 right now.

A fellow board member and myself are working now to find out if the adapter works at all. We'll have more news soon. Also, I've been talking with A1turbo.co.nz about fabricating a bellhousing. They're very interested.

More news soon,

Eric

Tex said:
I thought the t-56 was a borg-warner unit
thinking.gif
correct me if im wrong
Yea, it is. Just got back from a 1200 mile Texas roadtrip for Thanksgiving, and man ripping through the gears in my friends z-28 was a blast!

WDoherty said:
Yea, it is. Just got back from a 1200 mile Texas roadtrip for Thanksgiving, and man ripping through the gears in my friends z-28 was a blast!
The T56 USED to be made by Borg Warner. Now it is made by Tremec, along with the TKO-500/600, T5, T45 and many others.

I was just looking at the Dellow catalog and it looks like they already make a bellhousing that will mate a 1UZ to a TKO-500/60 trans. Those are 5 speeds and are practically indestructable. They are also about $1500 new.

Andrew