Cutting An Intercooler

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

1UZ-HZ

I've changed my mind on intercooling and I'm now going to run a water to air system. I have a large 600mm x 300mm x 100mm bar and plate intercooler and after talking to a good welder, I may get it cut down to a 300 x 300 x 200 I/C weld some tanks onto it and use it as a water to air I/C. What do you guys think?

Trvln Nalzmn,
That is some username !
Anyway,
The air flows through the intercooler core as normal but it is incased in a housing and water flows through the housing and externally though the core.

Air to Air = Air through the core as always and the Outside Air passes over the core and transfers the heat to the Outside Air.

Water to Air = Air through the core as always and Water is passes over the core and transfers the heat to the water.

1UZ-HZ ?
I am not sure on the better choice.
It is a good size core and already made, why do you wish to spend the money and hassel to create the Water to Air set up ?

If i wanted the extra cooling i would get a good size water bottle from the wreckers and fit it below the bonnet latch, behind the bar.
You could get a custom one made to hold a fair bit of water in that space and run a couple of wiper bottle motors and say 4 nozzels over the front of the intercooler.
If you made the opening large enough, you could put ice in the water !

I would expect to get better value for money and better performance.

Regards

Stephen

I was thinking an option might be to pass the water through the inside of the core and the charge air on the outside. I don't know if there would be an advantage though.

The only reason that I thought of cutting it up, is because I have a very nice friend that would do all the welding, piping and everything related for nothing more then the cost of the materials.

It depends on the specifics of the IC on where the water should run.

The water should run in the path that has the least heat transfer effiency.
Ie, if the inside of the core has more metal surface area (=more heat transfer) than the outside, then run the water on the outside.

Hope that makes sense.

that is the biggest water to air i have heard of. i have seen a 400rwhp LS1 running about half that and i thought that was big. an option could be cut it sell half and pay for all the materials for what you need.
my vote is run air on the long path and run water across it. there will be half the resistance of the original air-air as it is half as long. and if you keep the water flow rate up i reckon it would work fine.
could even use the other half of the cooler to cool the water.
water -air have an advantage of specific heat capacity of the water, usually shorter pipework and less restriction.

really it normally comes down to fitting what you have room for as both methods work fine.

Running a water-air cooler will (approx) half the amount of intercooler piping opposed to an air-air. And yes, when I think about it having a water-air intercooler as big as I mentioned is a bit over kill, so it probably will be cut down even further. As for the heat exchanger I was going to use the crown radiator, with an ice box where the back seat would usually be. But using the off cut from my original I/C isnt out of the question. Everything will be definate when the engine is in place.

i think any idea should be tried.. the only tough part is not being able to do all the work yourself.. if your lucky, your welder will be as motivated as you are, and you will get the stuff in working order quickly..

As far as piping, this depends on where you're mounting the IC. You can top-mount an air-air intercooler like toyota did with the ST-185 Celicas, but this is prone to heat-soak. As long as the core is quality, you should only see a 1-2psi tops pressure drop, even at the full size. I have an air to air, core measures 20"x5.5"x6" I am converting to either freon-cooled or water-air for my 88 1uz-fe turbo Celica project.

Water through the inside of the IC, air through the outside is the most efficient way - less pressuredrop and much, much lighter.

An oversized radiator is a good thing since the (sum of) thermal efficiency of a water to air intercooler is less than a air-to-air intercooler.

If waterspray is used, make shure only to moist the radiator, not soak it, when water evaporates, it consumes many, many times more energy than its specific heat capacity (the amount of energy it takes to raise the temperature 1 degree celcius/kelvin) which mean that you will have a cooler radiator/IC core, but use less water.

A CO2 spray bar is also a nice thing to have, it can lower the intake temperatures on a air-air IC alot on a water to air ic, one should be a little more cautious since CO2 is approx -60 degrees celsius, but with a corrected flow of CO2, "iceing" isn´t a problem and watertemps kan be lowered to +5 degrees celsius or so without problems OR one could use "wintermixture" (glycol/water mixture we call it in Sweden) that lowers the freezingpoint to -40 celsius or so. Only problem with that is that the specific heat capacity of the mixture becomes less and the thermal efficiency of the water-air intercooler is decreasing when not sprayed with CO2 (cooled naturally by airflow).