Coolant type needed for '99 LS400 ?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MikeC4C5

When replacing starter, I lost some coolant from the lines that run to the throttle body, and when I removed the rear coolant cross-over pipe. If I had to take a guess, I think I lost a quart or maybe 1/2 gallon at most.

The coolant that is in there now is redish looking. Does Pep Boys, Autozone or OReilly's carry the correct collant type for this vehicle ?? I do not intend to flush the system, only top off with the amount lost during starter motor R&R.

If I have to buy coolant from Lexus, I can do that, as I am heading over there Saturday to pickup new gaskets for the rear cross-over pipe. (but I bet it is expensive at a Lexus place..)

Tahnks in advance.

-Mike

The ecrossover gaskets should be able to be re-used.

They have a silicone bead around them that is quite happy going back on.

I'd top up the lost coolant with water to see it all runs well first then replace all the coolant later.

do your self a favor and dont top up an alloy motor with water just go to your toyota dealer and ask for a top up bottle of red coolant p/n 08889-80086

seen many a head and block warp because people whant to be a tight ass

Last edited by a moderator:
The ecrossover gaskets should be able to be re-used.

They have a silicone bead around them that is quite happy going back on.

I'd top up the lost coolant with water to see it all runs well first then replace all the coolant later.

Thanks Zuffen. Yes, I noticed that these water jacket gaskets are a high quality design. They are actually a 3 layer design with the silicon bead along the inner perimeter as you said. There are 2 thicker outer steel layers with a thiner middle steel layer. When I looked horizontally at the gasket, the silicon bead is almost flush with the steel sleeves, so I will go ahead and just replace with new ones. I was hoping that the silicon bead would expand, so that I could reuse, but they still look the same a day later. The Lexus dealer here in the states charges $9.00 each.

Also I will use water to top off after I get everything bolted back together. I will get a gallon of distilled water and top it off. I will tell my brother to do a proper flush and refill after we have verified that the starter is trouble free.

Thanks again for your help.
-Mike