"Coil on plug" coils for 1UZFE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I'm getting a set of Honda coils later today, the problem is I don't have an running 1UZFE
engine to test on. I do have a Autronic SMC and a R500 cdi floating around so I probably
have to test the setup on a mates Volvo !

I have also spoken to Honda about the CBR xxx cdi boxes. They are wasted spark and they
are a "free standing" unit being run from the ECU. Looks like I have to get hold of a Honda
CBR wiring loom and cdi unit too.

A thought about the wasted spark setup on the 1UZFE. Personally I don't think it will be a
problem, as most 4 cylinder turbocharged engines is wasted spark, I will know when more
when I have gotten around to do the test.

cribbj:

No, you are not hijacking the tread, go for it...

Did we ever find out if the 2uz coil packs work with the 1uz heads? That would be a godsend.

Eric

You need to machine and weld the cam covers to fit them.

You can't use the standard 1UZ plastic plug covers with the 2UZ items.

Remember with these COPs you need aftermarket management.

Right, I'm thinking that since I run the AEM and HKS DLI with the Supra, then possibly we can configure it to work in this situation. So maybe I missed it, but what were the part numbers of the Honda coil packs?

Thanks guys,

Eric

Thanks Peewee glad someone was paying attention. Was just having some fun. I've heard a lot of stupid **** floating around when it comes to ignition systems.

On another note how much interest is there for a CDI's?????

I have been thinking about building one for a while now, I have been asked to do a fully programmable one which of course you won't need.
I would do 4 channel so running wasted spark on the 1uz. What would people be willing to pay for a Lextreme badged CDI for the 1uz???

Is CDI still considered to be a useful system for petrol engines?
Ive done a lot of research on igntion systems (i have made my own CDI & standard microcontroller based programmable systems before) and the consensus seemed to be that CDI is no good at igniting todays lean fuel mixtures because of the very short spark duration.
Multispark CDI solves the problem in a way, but i still havnt seen anyone prove its better than a well setup standard system.

BTW... i havnt read through this full thread, but why not use the COP's off the VVTI 1UZ?

If you are having problems sustaining a mixture you timing is too far advanced. You only need to initiate the flame front not sustain it. Head and piston design should have a much greater efffect. The ingintion of a mixture energy dependent not time dependant. The shorter duratioin of spark from a CDI should have no effect.

The topic is too complex to even attempt to explain it in a forum. The topic is a very large book on its own and the few people who do understand the topic don't share.

The design and implementation of a true inductive ignition system is very, very complex. Just working out when to fire the plug is a massive problem and requires the full use of at least one processor to do the job completely. If I was designing a system I would use 2 processors. One to work out the true crank position and the other to calculate the correct spark timing. Its just too much work and NO aftermarket ECU does this job correctly, some factory systems don't do it either.

CDI is useful just because its easier to implement, you can get closeer to the ideal situation much easier with CDI then you can with inductive. Of course the result is that people who put CDI in see gains merely bacuse they have fixed a problem with the old inductive system which wasn't addressed properly.

Here's my question...

Say I go COP on a 1uz-fe cylinder head. Will a 2uz-fe harness run it since it already come prewired for a COP scenerio?

Eric

2uz harness will sort of work. You will need to extend it because the 2UZ harness is designed to terminate in the engine bay and will not reach to the passenger area.

Thanks Andrew, that should not be too much of a problem.

Thanks man,

Eric

Kdog,

2 processors needed just to measure crank position and work out when to fire a coil, I dont think so, You make me laugh so much! There are Microprocessors around that will do both task with ease to 0.1 DEG accuracy

And how do you propose to do other tasks whilst you are calculating the crank position?
What would you do to find out the true crank position?
no aftermarket ECU knows the true crank position, they are all guesssing. The accuracy they give is there ability to fire from the crank position they have worked out, which isn't the real crank position.

You need to think about it a little more. OEMs do exactly what I have stated.