Buying an LS400 need advice.....

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

Well poor old ma's 1991 Ford Taurus just took a dump (tranny gave up the ghost)...

I am now looking into buying mom an LS400, maybe a 1992-1997...I need to know what is a good year for these cars or does it not really matter? What to look for in these 94+ newer LS400's... I am only familiar with the 1990-1994 LS400's from my dealer days and it's been a while since I have driven them......Any advice or any helpful suggestions or hints would be appreciated as I will probably be picking one up in the next few days or so... I am mostly looking for info on interior gadgets and or potential problems to look for in these cars...

Thanks..

From all accounts the UCF2x is much better than the UCF1x (which is already superb).

I think the UCF1x got an upgrade around 92-93 as well?

Thats about all I can offer.

Get the 95 and above model is my recomendation. They have nicer looking one piece head lights and bigger brakes. The pre 95 models have small brakes.
The problems is just the same as the SC400. They have cluster problem, climate control LCD, pwr steering, etcc. You know these stuff. But with alittle TLC and some minor work it a joy to drive. I love my LS4, took it on long journey because its more comfortable then the SC. As for mods, you can do alot of exterior and interior mods is depends on how deep is your wallet. The trend right now is VIP style. Let me know if you need help with this John. Hope you find a good one. Post up some pics when you do. Here is some pics my VIP LS:biggrin:.
img2834alc4.jpg

img2830acn0.jpg

img2830acn0.jpg

img2675aku3.jpg

img2676axl3.jpg

Mate that's the nicest LS I've seen for ages!
I've never considered one until this year and I'm starting to appreciate them a bit more.

Your wheels are very nice but still a bit too bling for me. I like a nice matt finish, or black centres with polished alloy outer rims (hallibrand style).

As you recommend the 95+, is that still non vvti? Hope so.

Do you know what, LS's are so cheap, I just might.....

Thanks for the input guys...James that really is one of the nicest LS4's I have ever seen...WOW, I forgot that you had bought one those.....very nice combination of body kit and rims..Just looks perfect to me....

Yeah, good ole ma isn't much into performance, but she sure will appreciate all the luxury, comfort and reliability of one of these LS4 cars.. This should be a considerable upgrade from a 1991 Ford Taurus.... 95+ models is what I will look for....

Thanks agian...

John and James,

It's a real coincidence, guys. When I first saw John's thread topic considering a LS for your mom and without reading the next thread, I thought, where's James? Get James to come to this thread. Get a body kit with rims for John's mom's LS, and please kindly ask her to join the Lextremists.:Eyecrazy:

Yes, John. A '95 have bigger front brakes with 4 pistons, which is a good and economical option to upgrade for the SC. Since your mom doesn't race, you may swap your current SC brake to this LS and vice versa. :tapedshut: Also, I notice that the '95 and newer model have nicer rear bumper.

I almost swap the fan today. I got 90% of parts for this project. However, when I got to the metal store to buy the aluminum plate to block off the hydraulic pump once I delete it, the metal store is closed only 5 minutes before. That sucks! I'll have to wait for another day.

John, where did you get the ignition source for your fans in the engine bay? I don't want to run the wire through the firewall and into the driving cockpit. Honestly, I'm too lazy to find out about it. Please lighten me up.

thanks for the compliment guys.
LOL... Steve you are too funny in your post bro.. :biglaugh:

John I forgot you bought the LS for your mom. I misread that part, I thought you bought it for yourself. Forget about the exterior mods and stuff I said LOL.. Just keep the car stock and reliable for her. Unless she is into body kits and mods stuff then that would be gansta lol..:tongue:

No Ma isn't into the mods...Although, I have hinted to her several times about throwing a 150 nos system onto her new ride.. Just kidding of course, she drives like a snail......

Anyway, I looked at a couple of them today 1rst) Was a 97 model with 82,000 miles for $7900 and it was real nice but had a nice big rear end dent which the seller did not disclose to me on the phone or in the ad...That pissed me off and I walked on him...2nd) This one was a clean 95 LS4 with 125,000 miles for $7000..It's in perfect shape with one owner and has been dealer maintained. A little wear on the driverside leather and that is it..Nice big sunroof..Champaign color, and drives like a champ...Definetely more roomier then my SC4...I need to look at two more tomarrow then I will decide..These newer LS4's are pretty nice cars..The 97 models are really sweet but start to get pricey...I found a 99 LS4 model that was slammed into the backend, 20,000 miles on it but was perfect shape otherwise, but needed total back end work..This guy was asking $7000...If I owned a body shop I would have considered it....

Steve, The ignition source is to be found directly between the Fuse box and the brake booster......It is a three wire plug in deal with a rubber boot covering over it all..Pull it out and look for the green wire and that is it...Use a tester to make sure...If you need pic's I can get them for you..It is night and dark out right now...

John,
Thanks for your help. I haven't looked at that area yet, but I'm very positive I can find out about it with your clear description. Yes, the LS is very nice inside. I really appreciate its depreciation so that we can have a share of it. That's why I wouldn't buy a brand new luxury car or economical car by any mean. I bought a new '99 Honda Accord before my current SC and I regretted why I wasn't wise enough to get a used Lexus. With the price of a new Accord, I could have gotten a decent used Lexus.

My current philosophy is this: I'd rather date with a 40 years old Miss USA more than dating with a 20 years old fresh-OK-looking girl. A little bit of aging Miss USA is still beautiful and hot enough to turn on every guy. A little smile of her can beat away the smile of a plain fresh-OK-looking girl. Am I right? :icon16:

Interesting philosophy Steve...Older women usually will treat you better then the younger ones, but that is as far as I would take it.. Yeah, the LS4's would be a much better ride then the Honda Accords...However, those Accords are smaller but ride really tight to the feel...My friend owns one I think a 97 and it's a tight ride...Moving parts seem to move really well with the car if that makes sense....Same with the Honda CBR motorcycles...One of my favorite speed motorcycles to ride....

I also looked at a newer Toyota Camery but those cars do not have the girth and nice road driving feel as the LS4's....Had to say see ya on the Toyota Camery V6's....

As is posted in another post

www.lexls.com

in 91 they've got the twin pistons front calipers (same as the SC). and changes are described there from year1 to today.

the SC400 with good pads and slotted rotors brakes pretty well, since there's not much difference in weight of the 2 cars, i they'll be ok. Anyway, i don't think your mother will race the car a lot!