AC Cobra

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hi Bartman I purchased a soarer half cut and fitted into a Harrison cobra complete with
digital instruments registered july one it drives great hope to test on track november
will send pics regards Neil

Lexus Cobra

You guys have already done what I'm now planning to do. Having put the overly complex BMW V8 and Tiptronic box into one Cobra I'm now looking at the Lexus as the next powerplant. At least hopefully I'll have some good sources for info from this site ..............there was buggar all help available with the beemer lump.

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony

It is great to see that somebody else has moved into the 20th century and ventured away from the Ford and GM truck motors that people persist on using for their Cobra's. I know that the Ford motors are traditional but they are best suited to be in a Taxi.

Having a look at your photo's on the Cobra website it seems that the Beemer V8 was a tight fit. This was also the case with the 1UZ in my Cobra.

I know you have been in contact with Ozvenom but if I can be of any assistance, let me know.

Brett (Shelby400)

Last edited by a moderator:
Brett,

Thanks for the kind words. After a couple of days surfing this site I've already got more info on the Toyota/Lexus V8 than I got in the two and a half years of badgering BMW.

One initial question is whats the best way of getting my hands on a couple of Lexus/Toyota V8s and which are the best units to go for ?

I want both engines and automatic transmission and all the bits to make them go, ie ecu, keys, ignition, catalytic converters etc. The concept of buying the front end of car with everything still attached is extremely strange over here but seems to make lots of sense to me.

Wheres the best place to buy the front of a Lexus/ Toyota and which model should I be looking for? Should I buy directly from Japan or go through an Australian vendor? I have lots of relatives in Sydney so payments and shipping arrangements should not be difficult.

Eventually after getting the two Cobras ( one mine and one for my build buddy) approved and legal I'll probably want to upgrade mine with a turbo once I can take all the SVA ( Single Vehicle Approval Regulations) strangulation stuff off the engine. With this in mind is there anything I need to watch out for now, ie one donor better than another for living with low to moderate boost levels. After market ECU's required etc?

I must say I'm getting very excited about this project.

Cheers,

Tony

Hi tony I purchased a toyota soarer half cut and found that suited my needs,but if
you want to turbo charge later go for a early crown, they have less compression ratio
witch is more user friendly,also nissan skyline R32 independant rear ends work well
and are cheap.In australia about $500.00 buys complete rear end,ratios are 4.1 and
4.3 viscous limited diff and two pot calipers.the front four pot calipers from nissan
work well also,just make adaptor plate for front rotors. Cheers Neil

Tony

In Australia our Cobra replicas are known as ICV's. Individually Constructed Vehicles. They have to comply with the current Australian Design Rules for the year that they are registered.
Our current ADR for emmissions is the equivalent of the Euro3 standard.
My sugguestion to you is to speak to your engineer and find out more info first.
The pre 2001 1UZ's imported in half cuts from Japan will not comply with the standard. US versions in the Lexus will comply. The US has the strictest regulations in the world. May be an idea to source your motor from the states.

Cobra,

Thanks for that.

Although I thought we had it hard in the UK re regulations you guys really seem to get it in the neck with your build regs. The only time an engineer sees our cars are when we present them for testing, although the tests are extremely rigourous and most cars fail first time........not mine of course ( smug smile).

The rule here is that the car must pass the emmisions test at the standards for the year of the engine, anything pre 1984 ( ie yank iron) passes on a visual smoke check, and then the tests get progressively more restrictive up to present day standards. Put a brand new engine manufactured this year into a kit car and you'll be asked to pass Euro 3.

My beemer lump was a 1996 so had to pass the regs pertaining to that year of manufacture which meant I had to use cats and precat lambda sensors.

The good thing is once passed the car is classed as new doesnt get inspected for 3 years and then after that the emmisions test , because it is an amatuer built vehicle, is a simple visual smoke test on startup.

Hence my cats ( one new) are on my workshop bench instead of on the car.

Basically as long as the UK regs for say 1998 arent any more stringent than the 1998 Japanese regs, I'm home free. A 1992 *** V8 therefore wouldnt even need cats.

Anyone got any contacts in Japan for half cuts?

Cheers,

Tony

You'll find buying half cuts direct from Japan harder than getting Queen to an Orgy!

I suggest you speak with an Australian importer who may be able to source a half cut and send it over. shipping won't be cheap.

If you want a list of Aussie importers PM me and I will email you a list.

Given the price of shipping etc I would think it cheaper to by a UK or EU write off complete and take what you want. Shipping from Australia could be up to GBP750.00 plus handling charges.

Hi guys,

Just sorting out my rear axle ratios for the next Cobra projects.

According to a search on the site the rear axle ratio for the Lexus LS 400 is 3.615. My AK Cobra kits use the Jaguar IRS with inboard brakes and the closest I can get to that ratio with a Jaguar rear end is 3.54. Given that at any speed over 150 MPH the screen will be folding back as the house brick aerodynamics of the Cobra take effect, is it worth looking at a shorter rear axle ration than the 3.54 so that I can get even more neck snapping acceleration or, as I'm staying with the Lexus auto box, will the car just run better with a rear axle ratio as close as possible to that of the donor vehicle.

Also bear in mind that I may want to put a bit of mild, gentle boost into the engine once road legal and govt approved.

Your thoughts please.

Cheers,

Tony

With the way the 1UZ revs I'd look for a lower ratio.

I don't think Jaguar made many cars with a redline over about 5,500rpm so they used tall diffs coupled with hi torque engines.

I'd be looking for something toward 4:1 to give me the acceleration as 150MPH will see Mr Plod take your license for a very long time. Even this would only knock 20 miles an hour off your 150mph at the same engie revs.

You could find the car accelarates faster and will go faster with the shorter diff as it will be closer to the torque curve at the 150mph.

rear end

Hi Guys the origional diff ratio on my soarer donor was 3.916 and I used a
turbo skyline independent rear end with a ratio 4.3, this works well with
the auto. the engine revs at 2600 at 100km and I find the 1UZ FE likes
98 octane fuel.Cheers Neil

Guys

You think you have problems with ratio's. I have a 3.08 in mine. Its sits on 100km's an hour at 900rpm.

Tonyd said:
Hi guys,

Just sorting out my rear axle ratios for the next Cobra projects.

is it worth looking at a shorter rear axle ration than the 3.54 so that I can get even more neck snapping acceleration or, as I'm staying with the Lexus auto box, Your thoughts please.

Cheers,

Tony
G'day it's been a while since this post but it may help others, i just ent from 2.92LSD(too tall + i blew it up) to 3.45LSD in a car i would guess to weigh at least1400kgs. it takes off quick no wheel spin, in a lightweight car such as a cobra i reckon around 3.5 would be good, if you go Forced Induction you would probably stuggle with traction with say 4.1 also. give the 3.45s a go i'm happy

Hi Dean,

I've gone for a Jag Powerlok 3.54 rear end, with the slip factor adjusted for the Cobra's light weight..............which will be below 1100kg.

Cheers,

Tony

Well Guys I have gone and done it now..........I have bought today 3 Lexus V8's and boxes and I've only got two kits to put them in.....but its cheaper buying three than two as I explained to the wife...........

I in fact managed to get the queen to an orgy ( and was just about to import two whole LS 400's to the UK from Japan ) when I found three unwanted Lexi lurking in a scrapyard in Cheshire( about 90 miles away)..............and I have only been looking for 5 months for just one wrecked LS 400 Donor....its like buses, you wait for ages and then three come at once !

So I am a really happy bunny atm and will no doubt be boring all you guys senseless in the future re the problems caused by the first Lexus V8 Cobra in the UK.

Cheers,

Tony....

Anyone know how to get hold of Bartman as I wouldnt mind asking his advice on getting the standard Lexus engine and box working. He seems to have gone abit quiet recently and a PM has gone unread.

Cheers,

Tony

ttt.

I've started building the two kits now, and the Beemer Cobra is up for sale. As spring has arrived I'm finding more and more reasons to take the old Cobra out just to make sure its OK....its ridiculously fast with 300+ BHP, so I cant wait to get the Lexus twin Turbo sorted out with its theoretical 400bhp plus........

Has anyone seen or heard from Bartman recently. I wouldnt mind picking his brains.

Cheers,

Tony