A/C Leak?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

My A/C stopped blowing cold air, so I took the car in for a freon charge and I was told the system was completely empty and it has a leak somewhere... They wanted $700 to fix, and I took a walk..

I have never messed with an A/C system before except for replacing a compressor a long time ago.. How does one locate a leak in the A/C system? Do I start replacing parts?

Jibby I had this problem and had a similar quote , I found the leak by using compressed air to pressurise the system , if it's a small leak then this won't work and they have to put a dye in and charge the system to find the leak , it turned out to be in the condensor under the dash .
I found a half cut and got in and removed the condensor which gave me a heads up on how to do mine , believe me if it's under the dash then $700.00 is cheap !!
Just make sure they are good air con guys , if need be go to a place where air con stuff is all they do , taking the condensor out and replacing is a full days work .
Take in mind that after I had replaced the condensor it still cost me $300.00 to have it regassed and a new dryer fitted , so if you take that off the $700.00 it's not costing that much .
If you have no experience at this I would pay my money and smile !!
It's not rocket science [ almost !! ] but it's time consuming and tricky , you have to be so careful not to damage things like the tiny capilery tempature tube , if you are a patient practical particular kind of guy with two days to spend on it then go for it , otherwise just pay for it , it really will be money well spent .
Try and get an understanding from the people doing the work that if it turns out to be a leak not under the dash that is easy to find and fix , then the bill will be lots less ?

A/c is actually tested with nitrogen as you wont get the required pressure(300psi)out of a workshop air compressor and it also contains to much moisture,a big no-no for a/c systems.Check for any oil around fittings,compressors,condensors and if you can the evap under the dash.Some times its just a oring.

Attachments

• manifod-1.JPG
    manifod-1.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 2
  • manifold-2.JPG
    manifold-2.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the replies fellas... This leak is on my 1993 Toyota LandCruiser and not on my SC400.. The condensor and all the other a/c components are easy to get assess to on this truck.. I was thinking of using compressed air as well to locate the leak but I think it is a slow leak and don't have the power in the compressor or fitment to try it.

This problem all happen when I was driving thru a blizzard in 10 degree weather for a full day.. I guess the dramatoc climate change and weather conditions caused the A/C system to leak. This has always been a warm weather truck and never has given me any problems..

Anyway, from my understanding there is a dye that you send in thru the system with a new freon charge and that new freon charge will be wasted as you locate the dye leaking during this process? Wow, that sucks big time. I do not have the equipment to pull that off... $700 is alot to spend on a leak and I was sure hoping for a quick and easy fix.. Thanks again...

Does your system use freon or R134? According to this http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm '93 Landcruisers could have either. There should be a label under your hood mentioning refrigerant capacity and type.

If it's 134,you can buy those cheap (under $50) "AC charge in a can" kits from a parts store,some kits have dye mixed in with the refrigerant.

A pressure test 9/10 will locate a leak and is normally done b4 regasing and basically should hold the set pressure.If the pressure drops theres a leak and can be found by goin over componants with thick soapy water(bubbles with leak).Sometimes it wont leak as you r testing at ambient temps and the evap runs close or below 0 c and the condensor runs at twice ambient.Hope this helps.

I am using the freon and not the R134. I am going to bite the bullet on this one, but still looking for a better price then $700.... Freon charge in the can? Haven't seen that... Now that may work if there is a dye.. I may still look into that if it exists....Thanks

I think you will find Freon (R12) has been banned in all civilised countries for about 5 years. last time I checked i was told America is a civilised country but sometimes I wonder.

Changing to R134 costs around $250.00 in Australia.

If you deduct US175 from $700 it isn't an expensive repair.

I would just use R134. The conversion is cheap and straightforward and if your system is working properly, it'll spit ice cubes regardless. Because the system is empty, you'll want to have it evacuated and vaccumed. If the leak is large, you'll be able to tell this right away. If it's small, then you can use the cans with UV dye already in them. Pissing away 134 is nothing at $7-15 a can. Pissing away r12 at around $100 a pound is a whole different story. For the most part, if you don't have the experience and/or the equpment, leave it to the pros.