90 LS400 Smoke Issue/PS Fluid Loss; HELP!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

curepunx

So i purchased my 1990 LS400 with 180K+ miles over 2 months ago from the original owner; he was a nice older man who had the car garaged often but also, said the car would sit at months at a time (since it wasn't his only car).

Anyway, here's my problem;

-PS Fluid Reservoir needs to be re-filled about every 24 hours.
-There is a whine in the PS pump (louder the faster i rev the engine)
*There is no loss of power steering, even when the fluid is low*
-The car smokes at morning cold start up (white with blue tint)
-*Also, car smokes if car has been sitting for more than half a day (not as much smoke as first start of the day)...

....I have a feeling it's the valve stem seals that cause part of the issue, and also, maybe the PS idle valve...

Any suggestions? comments? ideas?
Your help is VERY much appreciated.
I'm located near Sherman Oaks, CA...

*A local mechanic keeps pushing to have the engine rebuilt, when im asking to get a valve job (to replace valve seals too) and change the idle valve thing (if the leak is coming from there INTO the intake manifold)*

Continued...

Sorry!
I forgot to mention, there seems to be NO oil leak showing as I check the dipstick every morning and it remains at the same level...marking Full.

But there is a ticking sound at idle and it leads me to believe, that it does need a valve job including valve stem seals, and possible lifters...

But yea, i will attempt to have the IAC for the PS pump, removed and plugged soon, to see if that's the culprit causing the smoke.

:22:

i know yr problem

the power steerign idle up solenoid
sits below the pump
when the power steerign pressure rises it opens up this solenoid so the revs go up abit so enigne doesnt stall

this can leak so therefore power steering fluid is going into the manifold

ill bet my house on it

have seen this prob afew times

do not pull anyhting apart

just replace this solenoid/valve
pull the vac lines of it they should be full of oil

As for the ticking and valve seals the ticking is telling you the valves need adjusting.

These engines don't run lifters in the the GM/Ford context. They use shims which wear (very slowly) and occasionally need replacement.

If it needs valve stem seals it can be done without removing the head.

Head removal is a pretty big, and not cheap, job and I wouldn't do it unless absolutely necessary.

As for the ticking and valve seals the ticking is telling you the valves need adjusting.

These engines don't run lifters in the the GM/Ford context. They use shims which wear (very slowly) and occasionally need replacement.

If it needs valve stem seals it can be done without removing the head.

Head removal is a pretty big, and not cheap, job and I wouldn't do it unless absolutely necessary.

Well, the ticking is clearling heard especially when the hood is opened.

In regards to the head removal...do you mean for a complete 'valve job/adjustment' that there needs to a removal of both heads?

The car clearly runs fine, except for the ticking that can be heard. No oil waste/consumption as the level stays at Full.

Thanks!

I've had this problem myself, twice, with two different problems.

1) If it is leaking then check your alternator as it could kill the alt

2) if it is a new one, make sure that the connection to the hose is properly stripped and has a full seal