395hp, 509ft/lb 4.7L Turbo Tundra

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Hollywood03

Hey guys, I visited the dyno today in my Tundra, has a single turbo, fuel system, Unichip, and all the other Turbo goodies, put down 395hp and 509ft/lbs. I should have all the pics up on my Website by tomorrow, there are already some of the project during fabrication at:

www.theturbotalk.com/gallery

Also the post that I made on the Tundra Forum is at:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40341&page=2&pp=15

at the bottom of the page, talks about all that went on on the dyno, in that same thead I also answered alot of questions that I know were stumping the Tundra guys, may be useful. Let me know what yall think.

Jason

i forgot my tundra solutions name and password, please post info over here. Damn that's a lot of horsepower, is that only with unichip and stock computer?

Jason's TS post..

for the non-TS members

Well here it is guys, made a trip to the dyno today, and got the unichip tuned. I tell you what I was astonished to see the power that the truck made with a "little" fuel added. The first sets of runs were made with only 2.8psi of boost applied.

I started the series of dyno pulls with a base just to see what the stock programming would do. I found out no too much. Went way lean 4000rpm but still managed to make 254 hp, and 306 ft/lbs.

The next step we took was to just go in and add fuel with the unichip to the stock fuel system, with the Walbro 255 of course and see what happened. Once we got the programming right, the stock hardware was able to sustain 327hp and 430ftlbs. Not to shabby for the just stock injectors with a little programming.

With the unichip system I opted for the unichip and the 9th injector driver module. With the 255 in the tank the RC Engineering 440CC injector was just right to put in the intake tube. This served no only as a means of adding fuel but I believe also aided in the cooling of the intake charge. In the Unichip program the extra injector was only utilized in the load of 70-120 and 4000-redline speed/load sites. This made sure that the extra injector would only come on when it was needed. The first step that was taken was to just open the injector was much as we could and see what the AFRs did. Keep in mind I am still only running 2.8psi of boost. Here we suffered a loss of power and torque because of the super rich fuel mixture, but now had plenty of room to go in and crank the boost.

The Blitz boost controller made this easy, dialed in the next setting and was ready to go. So this run was made with the exact fuel settings as above but with a total boost of 4.5psi. The power instantly came up. Made 314hp and 414ftlbs. However, the AFRs were still off the map. So naturally with all that fuel, why not had more "air...boost that is!

So we cranked it up to 6psi, with no adjustments to fueling, the extra boost brought the AFRs up to the 11s and the power up to 353hp and 453 ft/lbs. At this stage we noticed that at part throttle positions the unichip was pooring in more fuel than needed. It so happened that with the particular load that the dyno provided it didnt show up in the full throttle passes but only when at part throttle sites in the fuel maps. We moved to remedy this issue and in the process created enough heat to make the hp numbers drop. So we let her cool off before the next run. My goal was 350hp, I had already met that but I fuel to spare and a 4.7 just begging to be plucked.

At these boost pressures, the optimal AFRs are theoretically between 12 and 12.5. We were currently in the area of 11-11.7, why not see what the additional boost will do. So I took her to 7-7.5 psi of boost and made the same pull with no fuel modifications. Off of the additional pound of boost I picked up 43hp and 56ftlbs. For a total of 395hp and 509 ft/lbs. Unbelievable!!!! Thats where I stopped, I figure 400rwhp with good fuel is safe and will be enjoyable.

What did I learn from all of this?

First, always make sure the laptop communicates with the Unichip before going to the dyno (serial cable got crushed).
Second, there is really no need for a super fancy fuel system to get the power that a stock motor can handle. All I had was the extra injector and a Walbro 255 intank, maybe upgrade to a 500-550cc injector just to get the duty cycle of the the 9th injector down.
Third, go low boost, play it safe, and make sure the fuel is there, once you know, pour the boost on in.
Fourth, after aiding in the tuning of a Ininifty G35, intercooler effiecieny and turbo size are huge. When you watch an intercooled Greddy Kit kick out 160deg intake temps and make little power, and then a setup like mine maybe 100 degrees, make big power, you know something is up. The TO4R Turbo that I used is also very efficient at low boost pressures. Meaning that is does not produce alot heat in just the compression phase. Most of the heat just comes from the turbo being hot from the exhaust.
And Finally, dont be afraid to do it yourself. Read, talk, do what ever you need to, to obtain knowledge and condidence in your abilities, take a deep breadth and do it. I have always found that if you put your heart into something you will respect it more in the end.

Dyno Charts and pics of all the final install stuff I did will be available at:

www.theturbotalk.com/gallery

and eventually a full write up on the site was well. If yall have any questions feel free to ask. A big thanks goes out to Mark Budenhage with G3 Motorsports at Grubbs Infinity(Dallas, Unichip guy) and Scott and Eric at A&S Motorsports in Fort Worth (dyno guys). www.asautomotive.com

Jason

Thanks for the detail, i'm glad to see you were able to make serious horsepower without having to go extreme on fuel system and on factory computer, i'm very impressed and this solution is more afforfable than stand alones, and replacing entire fuel system.

Works great for timing man, only pulled out 4 degrees from 4000rpm up, didnt really need to do much, no pinging either.....that is the cool thing about the 9th injector after a turbo....the cold fuel really helps to cool down the intake charge without running pig rich.....so you can make the power that you want and not get detonation.

Jason

Attachments

• 16 - plate on gearbox.JPG
    16 - plate on gearbox.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 10
hi jason--i also think an extra injector is a great way to get the extra fuel to the engine..i have been working on 8 extra injectors--and have had some success, but not enough time to get some real numbers yet..
i have always felt that after about 375 HP,, you will need to get extra fuel to the motor, one way or another..and am glad to see your success..

turbo tundra

what size turbo are you running and how many lbs of boost. i was wonderin if you knew of how i can get my truck tuned. i have a gt35r garret turbo and recently my truck has just seemed to have lost its power. it seemed so much stronger when i first had it installed. i cant figure out what the problem is. the other day i went to the track and was only able to hit 3 lbs of boost off the line. its really startin to piss me off. i dunno. any tips or anything you might have about internals or anything i would appreciate it. thanks

Hey man....definately a boost leak. I have a T04R running 8 psi, dyno was with 7psi. Does the truck still drive around alright i.e. idle part throttle stuff? If it is running bad probably between the MAF and the Motor, if it still runs alright but just cant make boost, probably between the turbo and the MAF. Also check all the lines that run to the wastegate, if one got cooked and there is no "pressure" to keep the gate closed during spool up, it will boost really really freakin slow. Probably never see full boost. Also check the intecooler if you have one, I have seen rocks crack them and cause them to leak. You can make a leak tester with a compressor and a regulator, google it and you can probably find plans for one online.

Also, I am currently in Alabama, I would like to see your setup on the way back to Texas....how far away is Calhoun from I-20 or I-10. Let me know maybe we can meet up. Hope all this helps.

Jason

I did a search for this SM Racing equipment you have, but couldn't find anything on the net. Do they have a webpage, or can we see some pics of those headers?

Re: hollywood

Yeh Calhoun is right off of I-20...about an hour and a half from Shreveport and about 30 mins from Monroe. Do you have any internal work on ur motor? I'm currently waitin on my alcohol injection kit to come in. Anxious to see how that's gonna work out.

WDoherty said:
I did a search for this SM Racing equipment you have, but couldn't find anything on the net. Do they have a webpage, or can we see some pics of those headers?
SM Racing = Stone Mountain Racing. They sell all sorts of headers and stuff on ebay (do a search for tundra headers and you'll find them). A lot of their stuff are offshore copies of original designs. People usually have cracking problems with their turbo headers but as far as their Tundra headers (JBA copies) they've been pretty good.

Yeah Guys SMR is SSAutochrome on Ebay....Good quality products in my opinion....I honestly believe that they make HKS stuff and then HKS puts their name on it and jacks up the price.

Forefedyota, email me your phone number and stuff, maybe we can meet up.,...I will be heading back to Texas on I-20 at the first of August....maybe we can set something up. L8ter guys.

Jason

HKS does not use SS Autochrome! There is a definte difference in quality. SS Autochrome parts are mig welded first and then they tig over it for looks. The real difference is on the inside.