340E or 341E Tranny Upgrade

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Guys, there's no way around the transmission when making the HP and TQ with the 1uz-fe. There are too many Supra owners that blow their stock autos, "built" or not, with 2 less cylinders and 1/3 less TQ. Right around 450rwhp, that's where the stock auto starts to blow out. Now there are two options in making HP after you reach that mark...

1. Convert to manual transmission ie. V160 for hardcore, R154 moderate, or W58 for mild applications.

2. Convert to a built TH400, which handle all the power you could ever throw at it, but required more modification that the manual conversion. Banging out the tunnel comes to mind.

A lot of people ask about how well a built stock auto will hold, and most of the folks asking have potential to make around the 900rwhp mark. All the built stocker will get you at that level is halfway down the track, or 3/4 of a dyno run before it blows out. There's no reinventing of the wheel this late in the tranny game.

Either way, the point stands that you can't go far with the stock auto tranny. No matter what shop says that they can "build" it or whatnot, the interenals are just not stout enough to handle the power. Personally, if you're going to build your car, do it once, do it right, and never have to do it again...

Eric

Eric what do you think can handle more power a V160 or a th400.

also whats the difference between the th400 and powerglide?

Didn't MARKO for soundpreformance run 1520hp on a built a341e. Yeah he ran a 9.0 and then a 8.4 then a 8 flat with it. He had it also as a daily driver. The had STC or STP build tranny I forgot who built it but it was from a stock a341e.

jtjerry- lexa nie mam ale mam jeepa. Polskie zimy nie lubia, lexow ale moj jeep lubi polskie zimy. : )

trafik for drivebality and fun rather v160 not th400. v160 you will have both: very strong tranny and good drivebality and gas mileage and much more fun too...

Marko did all that through a built (HIGHLY BUILT) TH400. Any sort of a stock tranny, or even "built" stock tranny would have shattered 1/2 way through the dyno run, and upon launch at the drag strip.

A Th400 is a 3 speed, where as a powerglide is a 2 speed drag only tranny. A th400 uses fuel like you're pouring it down a drain because it keeps your rpms so high, where as a 6 speed keeps your revs low while cruising.

Eric

cowboy bebop said:
Guys, there's no way around the transmission when making the HP and TQ with the 1uz-fe. There are too many Supra owners that blow their stock autos, "built" or not, with 2 less cylinders and 1/3 less TQ. Right around 450rwhp, that's where the stock auto starts to blow out. Now there are two options in making HP after you reach that mark...

1. Convert to manual transmission ie. V160 for hardcore, R154 moderate, or W58 for mild applications.

2. Convert to a built TH400, which handle all the power you could ever throw at it, but required more modification that the manual conversion. Banging out the tunnel comes to mind.

A lot of people ask about how well a built stock auto will hold, and most of the folks asking have potential to make around the 900rwhp mark. All the built stocker will get you at that level is halfway down the track, or 3/4 of a dyno run before it blows out. There's no reinventing of the wheel this late in the tranny game.

Either way, the point stands that you can't go far with the stock auto tranny. No matter what shop says that they can "build" it or whatnot, the interenals are just not stout enough to handle the power. Personally, if you're going to build your car, do it once, do it right, and never have to do it again...

Eric
Seems to be the same thought from the guys at MV auto's in Oz. They have the standard auto hold 440kw ATW in a Celcior, but if the box is for racing, go the powerglide, T350 or T400 since they can be built to handle loads of abuse. This is what i'm looking at for my car, but with a 3000rpm stallie and transbrake.

gobbledegook to you too.

that's a great article Andrew.

so i could basically have the tranny rebuilt with good clutches, kevlar bands and then have the shift pressure modded by adding those shims...?

would it be a shock loading or would it be a smooth shift?

i'm just trying to wrap my head around how these guys would make the tranny shift seamlessly...

i was looking at the TH350 like you said and it would require a spacer plate with no provision for the stock starter - i'd have to make a custom starter position and the bellhousing sizes are WELL different.

the powerglide however has a bolt on bellhousing

T400 bell housing instead of adapter plate

Hi guys I know there are kits for adapter plates but does anyone know
if somebody makes a bell housing that bolts to the pump(knife off the original bell housing) Like the super bell from these guys http://www.racewithjw.com that has about 3 diffrent bells to suit the t400 I believe this is a superior method as a t400 in say a offroad race vechile needs substantial bracing(weak as piss casing)otherwise they like falling out :Eyecrazy:
thanks Matt